English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
Raphael

Re: English questions

Post by Raphael »

How is the "v." in the name of court cases in most English speaking countries pronounced?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:57 pm How is the "v." in the name of court cases in most English speaking countries pronounced?
/ˈvɜrsəz/ or /ˈvɜrsəs/; I personally have the former.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

In the US, it is usually pronounced [vi], in reference to specific court cases, especially famous ones. You've probably noticed this is the one situation where versus is usually spelled "v" instead of "vs." When it is "vs," it is almost almost pronounced as the full /vrs@z/. Curiously, in colloquial use, it is common for Americans to spell "vs" and say /vrs@z/ when talking about minor court cases, probably because they are unaware of the legal practice. But "vs" is never pronounced /viz/ and "v" is never pronounced /vrs@z/.

"Have you guys heard about Roe Vee Wade?"
"I have to appear in court for the case of me versus the burglar."
"I saw a movie called Kramer versus Kramer."

I would bet $100 that anyone who says "Roe vurrsezz Wade" is someone who would misspell it as "Rode vs. Wade" if asked to write it down.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Oh, thank you, too!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Hm, now I wonder if any other English speakers could enlighten me about whether Moose or Travis is closer to the mark on this.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Wikipedia says both 'vee' and 'versus' are heard in the US.

Astonishingly, the English are said to say "against" in criminal cases, and "and" in civil ones, though they write "v."
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Oh, that's interesting. Thank you!
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Does anyone have a link to a concise explanation of secondary stress in English?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:21 am Hm, now I wonder if any other English speakers could enlighten me about whether Moose or Travis is closer to the mark on this.
I would consider Roe v. Wade "properly" pronounced with the full "versus" (interesting aside — in gaming, this is also often, incidentally, analogised to a verb — probably misheard as verses, with the back-formation verse meaning "fight, do battle with"; I think it sounds very silly, though) but simply pronouncing the name of the letter is also common and unremarkable. In daily speech, they tend to be in free variation.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Content warning: sexualized violence
Why does English use one and the same word for a horrible sexualized crime and a mostly harmless plant?
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Raphael wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:49 am Content warning: sexualized violence...
(See above post)
From a cursory search of the etymologies, the plant's name comes from a Latin word for turnip, rapa/rapum and cognate with Greek rhapys.

The term for sexualized violence comes from Middle English rapen or rappen. And while it did at the time also have the modern meaning, more commonly had the meaning of "abduct, kidnap, take (someone) by force" and likely came from Latin rapere, of the same meaning as the Middle English.

So, basically, random happenstance that two very different words became similar over time. Maybe a new tern will in time be given to the plant or the act.
A cat and a linguist.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What's the standard English term for the process of getting sand (for industrial uses and stuff like that) from a sand quarry? Is that called "mining", or something else?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:34 pm What's the standard English term for the process of getting sand (for industrial uses and stuff like that) from a sand quarry? Is that called "mining", or something else?
In English mining sand is, well, called sand mining.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

On the one hand, that's perfectly logical - but on the other hand, on some level it somehow doesn't make sense to me, because, well, my mental image of a stereotypical "mine" involves much more solid materials than sand.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:52 pm On the one hand, that's perfectly logical - but on the other hand, on some level it somehow doesn't make sense to me, because, well, my mental image of a stereotypical "mine" involves much more solid materials than sand.
Of course, one should not forget usages such as bitcoin mining, which does not involve physical mining per se at all. However, one could consider that a special usage.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

linguistcat wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:10 pm So, basically, random happenstance that two very different words became similar over time. Maybe a new tern will in time be given to the plant or the act.
Well, I’ve only heard of the plant as ‘rapeseed’, and Wikipedia agrees, so this could be considered to have already happened.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:17 pm
linguistcat wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:10 pm So, basically, random happenstance that two very different words became similar over time. Maybe a new tern will in time be given to the plant or the act.
Well, I’ve only heard of the plant as ‘rapeseed’, and Wikipedia agrees, so this could be considered to have already happened.
Actually in North America we already have a new name for rapeseed: canola. (Which comes from 'Canada' + 'oil'.) In theory it only applies to the oil, but it's used for the plant now as well.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:37 pm
bradrn wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:17 pm
Actually in North America we already have a new name for rapeseed: canola. (Which comes from 'Canada' + 'oil'.) In theory it only applies to the oil, but it's used for the plant now as well.
Wait, ‘canola’ and ‘rapeseed’ are the same thing? I never knew. I’m a lot more familiar with the former name than with the latter, though.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like they aren’t the same thing at all; ‘canola’ can come from several different Brassica species, while ‘rapeseed’ is from Brassica rapa alone.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)