Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Linguoboy

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Linguoboy »

Watching rightwingers trying to take shots at Lil Nas X only to end up getting incinerated is making my day, my week, and possibly my entire month.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Releasing software always makes me happy for some reason, even though it's always a major chore to do (and I did it twice yesterday, as I changed my mind on something right after having already made a release), and the user count of my software is probably single-digits at best. (Of course there's the fall-off afterwards, when I realize that I had already done everything I planned on doing, and now have to find something to do...)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:39 pm Watching rightwingers trying to take shots at Lil Nas X only to end up getting incinerated is making my day, my week, and possibly my entire month.
My favorite by SD Governor Kristi Noem: "This is outrageous, disgusting and perverted and on #PalmSunday no less." I don't know what's sadder, that she keeps track of which holiday an offense takes place on, or that she thought it could take off as a hashtag.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

I was disappointed that the shoe seems to just be marketed as such, and not as criticism of Xinjiang cotton.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 am I was disappointed that the shoe seems to just be marketed as such, and not as criticism of Xinjiang cotton.
Shh! You fool! Do you want Nas to roast you on his twitter?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

I am not sure which implication there is to that, if any.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I just got the décompte for my Luxembourg tax return, and it's a very plump figure as a refund. Always surprising how quickly the Luxembourg ACD issues the statements of refund, even given the current situation...

To add to the fun, I'll also be getting another sizable refund from the electric company, since I apparently massively overpaid over the past year. This also meant the electric company adjusted my monthly prepayments... so rather than the €55 per month I was paying, now it'll be about €15. (That's quite a drop.)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

aka vampireshark
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Congrats!

I'm inordinately excited about the SpaceX Crew-2 flight. Thomas Pesquet is an ubiquitous hero here, but I confess the space geek in me only has eyes for the cheap, reusable spacecraft...

(Part of it is because he's French, but I think he's media success is because he really comes across as a genuinely nice guy.)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations from me, too!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

In other news, after the winter petered out in an unusually long tail this year, it has now finally gotten warm enough here that sitting on my balcony and reading something is actually pleasant. Sometimes, it's the small things...
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

doctor shark wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 am Happy thing: Latest publication finally went online.
'Grats!!!!!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 am Happy thing: Latest publication finally went online.
Ok, I've only now clicked the link. So it's possible to construct synthetic cells now? Why didn't anyone tell me?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Thanks!
Raphael wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:29 pm
Ok, I've only now clicked the link. So it's possible to construct synthetic cells now? Why didn't anyone tell me?
Well, not fully, but the idea with the review is to look at the progress in replicating the functions of cells. Synthetic protocells have been pretty achievable, but full cells... well, that's Boss Man's ultimate goal, but we're quite far from that point.

Also, bonus happy (and Science-related): I've been teaching a lab practical for the last six weeks, and today was the poster presentations where the groups of students had to make a poster and then present it as if they were at a conference (kinda). I had two groups of students, and they did quite good work that might end up being used in this grant application I'm working on.

And, to add icing to the cake, one of my groups ended up winning the best poster prize! Proud supervisor moment... I so happy...
aka vampireshark
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Vardelm wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:47 am
'Grats!!!!!
Fourthed!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

For some reason I am happy about the fact that I just got jabbed in the arm and my arm is probably going to be sore for the next day or so...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:54 pm For some reason I am happy about the fact that I just got jabbed in the arm and my arm is probably going to be sore for the next day or so...
Somewhat belated congratulations! How is it going?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:00 am
Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:54 pm For some reason I am happy about the fact that I just got jabbed in the arm and my arm is probably going to be sore for the next day or so...
Somewhat belated congratulations! How is it going?
Well, it was a bit sore yesterday, but that has mostly gone away by today.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Congrats too!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:06 am
Well, it was a bit sore yesterday, but that has mostly gone away by today.
Glad to hear that!