Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Linguoboy

Re: Venting thread

Post by Linguoboy »

I explained that badly. The tree lives next to my back porch. When I was working from home, I was able to check on it (and all the other potted plants clustered around it) daily and give water if needed--sometimes twice before sunset. But now I have to rush out the door in the morning and I come home tired and hungry an hour before dark, so my attention seems to be not as sharp as it was before. Also, we had rain on Tuesday, but I belatedly realised that this particular tree was so far to the back that the eaves may have prevented it from getting properly soaked like everything else.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:25 pm
  • Three consecutive days in the office was all it took to kill the potted tree I'd kept alive all through the hottest part of the summer. I swear that overnight it went from looking fine to utter desiccation. I was holding off for cooler weather before planting it in the yard (for both its sake and mine) and that only just arrived end of last week. Oh well, at least I have others.
Honestly, I’m just seriously impressed at this. I don’t think me or my family has ever managed to keep a single plant alive. We kill everything we touch. We’ve even managed to kill herbs, which in anyone else’s hands should be virtually impossible to let die. At this point, the only plants growing in our house are those which were well-established before we came; thankfully the last owner was a good gardener. Though even those aren’t all doing so good.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

bradrn wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:53 pm At this point, the only plants growing in our house are those which were well-established before we came; thankfully the last owner was a good gardener.
Do you mean literally they're growing "inside the house" or do they grow in the garden (I'm not trying to pick on you, it would just be an interesting usage of "in the house").
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Last night I decided to quickly take 10 minutes to set up Python support on my Emacs. Two hours later, I finally got it half-working. I hate Python.
hwhatting wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:54 am
bradrn wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:53 pm At this point, the only plants growing in our house are those which were well-established before we came; thankfully the last owner was a good gardener.
Do you mean literally they're growing "inside the house" or do they grow in the garden (I'm not trying to pick on you, it would just be an interesting usage of "in the house").
They grow in the garden.

alice

Post by alice »

bradrn wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:04 am Last night I decided to quickly take 10 minutes to set up Python support on my Emacs. Two hours later, I finally got it half-working. I hate Python.
Python doesn't like split infinitives.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:04 am Last night I decided to quickly take 10 minutes to set up Python support on my Emacs. Two hours later, I finally got it half-working. I hate Python.
Did you use a package in your package manager, or did you try to add python-mode by hand? (Using apt at least tends to be far friendlier in this regard than manually setting up a major mode in Emacs, for reasons that are Emacs's rather than Python's fault.)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Minor vent: A lot of campus catering venues are reopening here, so I went to lunch at one of them yesterday... and it turns out they don't accept cash, and didn't have any warning signs out front that cash wasn't accepted. So that's the first and last time I went there. (No, I should not need to have to use my debit card for a €5 sandwich.)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

doctor shark wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm Minor vent: A lot of campus catering venues are reopening here, so I went to lunch at one of them yesterday... and it turns out they don't accept cash, and didn't have any warning signs out front that cash wasn't accepted. So that's the first and last time I went there. (No, I should not need to have to use my debit card for a €5 sandwich.)
In that country, PIN only is becoming the norm very rapidly. First it was only at certain hip coffee places, now it is near ubiquitous. Though I never understood how they are legally allowed to refuse cash payment, which is legal tender.

By the way, your debit card is not charged on PIN transactions, even when it is a foreign bank.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:12 am
Did you use a package in your package manager, or did you try to add python-mode by hand? (Using apt at least tends to be far friendlier in this regard than manually setting up a major mode in Emacs, for reasons that are Emacs's rather than Python's fault.)
I always use use-package. (You can see my config at bradrn/.emacs.d.) But Emacs wasn’t the problem here. The main issue was that I’ve been using Anaconda for package management; of course, Anaconda works by hooking into the shell as you activate various environments, which doesn’t play nice with most things. Thankfully, I eventually found conda.el, which solved that particular problem. Also, it seems that matplotlib freezes and crashes when invoked from a shell in Emacs, which means I can’t as easily run a program from within IPython and then inspect its variables like I do with Spyder.

Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

I spent £300 on tickets to see Genesis and my partner now refuses to go because she's worried about Covid :x
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raholeun wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:21 am
doctor shark wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm Minor vent: A lot of campus catering venues are reopening here, so I went to lunch at one of them yesterday... and it turns out they don't accept cash, and didn't have any warning signs out front that cash wasn't accepted. So that's the first and last time I went there. (No, I should not need to have to use my debit card for a €5 sandwich.)
In that country, PIN only is becoming the norm very rapidly. First it was only at certain hip coffee places, now it is near ubiquitous. Though I never understood how they are legally allowed to refuse cash payment, which is legal tender.

By the way, your debit card is not charged on PIN transactions, even when it is a foreign bank.
Actually, at least in the US, one is legally permitted to refuse any particular form of payment (it is very common here for businesses to not accept bills larger than $20 USD) - except for payment of debts, where than one must accept any kind of legal tender, even dump trucks full of pennies.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

It's approaching the end of the month and now I must choose between paying rent or having food =/ because my OSAP funding still hasn't come through yet for whatever reason and I still haven't been able to get a job.

It only adds to my current low state of mood and I dunno how I can get out of this depression/unmotivation when I'm too depressed/unmotivated to do the things that would fix it (proper meals, exercise, fresh air, actually getting out of bed, go to the therapist).

I am lazy, unmotivated, easily distracted, and prone to leaving things to the last minute. I am consistently my own worst enemy and often I have this urge to just give up on everything and run into the woods or somewhere. Away from people, pressure/expectation, and shame.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Ahzoh wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:29 am I am lazy, unmotivated, easily distracted, and prone to leaving things to the last minute. I am consistently my own worst enemy and often I have this urge to just give up on everything and run into the woods or somewhere. Away from people, pressure/expectation, and shame.
For what little it's worth, I would probably call this "maladaption" rather than "laziness".
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

So the British public are out panic-buying again. This time it's petrol and diesel - because ONE major supplier (BP) has had issues with deliveries (which has also affected some supermarkets). What the actual fuck is wrong with people? Honestly, this country is consistently proving itself to be an embarrassment.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Well, at least the petrol queues have prompted a sane half-measure from UK government - temporary visas for lorry drivers and poultry workers. (This is to ensure that turkeys get to the supermarkets for Christmas.)
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

My mother is strongly pro-PRC being the daughter of a party member. She generally reacts strongly to what she percieves as insults to 伟大诸国 (Weida zuguo). She has suggested Hong Kong be starved to death for its rebellion (riots etc.) against China, and that China's ethnic minorities are parasitical (affirmative action, welfare, more rations of meat back in the old days). Of course she dislikes black Americans as "lazy" and "unsafe", Arabs as "fierce" and so on.
Last edited by Nachtswalbe on Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I'm not sure what 伟大诸国 is, but I'm guessing it means something like the "splendid regions" or "mighty provinces" (at least, that's roughly how I would interpret such a word as 偉大諸国 idai Shokoku — 偉大 idai, "magnificent, mighty", and 諸国 shokoku "various countries, various regions" being apparently existing words — in Japanese) as some sort of metonymic name for China (the modern State) as a whole?
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:20 pm I'm not sure what 伟大诸国 is, but I'm guessing it means something like the "splendid regions" or "mighty provinces" (at least, that's roughly how I would interpret such a word as 偉大諸国 idai Shokoku — 偉大 idai, "magnificent, mighty", and 諸国 shokoku "various countries, various regions" being apparently existing words — in Japanese) as some sort of metonymic name for China (the modern State) as a whole?
It roughly means "Glorious Homeland", sometimes used sarcastically other times not
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

"Glorious Homeland" is much more comprehensible.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:04 pm "Glorious Homeland" is much more comprehensible.
Also the social expectation imposed by parents particularly mom to find a gf, get married and get them grandkids eventually. Dad thinks it's tragic that my 姑姑 gugu(father's younger sister) doesn't have kids; her husband was the CFO of some company until recently and they have money
Last edited by Nachtswalbe on Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.