Language Telephone - TEAM 1 RESULTS AND TEAM 2 RESULTS!

Topics that can go away
akam chinjir

Re: Language Telephone

Post by akam chinjir »

Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:45 am If we're allowed to recommend dictionaries to each other: akam chinjir, you might find tureng.com useful if it isn't too late and you didn't already know about it. I use it a lot for Turkish.
Thanks Vijay! I did look at it a bit. Now though I'm at the point where I've got to figure out how to say all that in classical Chinese :)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

akam chinjir wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 pmWhile part of me likes the idea of following Warring States punctuation and whitespace conventions (that is, a single big block of text with maybe an occasional mark to distinguish sentence-like or paragraph-like chunks), I think it might drive zompist mad.
Omigod, the Old Chinese is going to be difficult enough. Also, please don't write in seal script.

If you want to cringe in advance: first thing I'm going to do is convert to simplified characters...

The Portuguese, on the other hand, I expect to present as a bossa nova video.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

That's going to be fun to translate into Latin. :lol:
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:05 pm That's going to be fun to translate into Latin. :lol:
I expect it will end up much like the Gregorian chant Puella Ipanemae.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

zompist wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:29 pm
Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:05 pm That's going to be fun to translate into Latin. :lol:
I expect it will end up much like the Gregorian chant Puella Ipanemae.
Omg now I want someone to actually sing Puella Ipanemensis in Latin.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:40 am no using ancient punctuation if it will make the result nearly untranslatable
What, so I shouldn't put everything in upper-case without spaces? You're asking a lot of me. :P
finlay

Post by finlay »

Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:45 am Hmm, if I click on this, for example (from PGT XVII), I get: "There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page."
http://www.kneequickie.com/archive/Poly ... _Telephone
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

finlay wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:48 pm
Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:45 am Hmm, if I click on this, for example (from PGT XVII), I get: "There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page."
http://www.kneequickie.com/archive/Poly ... _Telephone
The Missing Link.

Thanks! :)
finlay

Post by finlay »

i'm afraid i was terribly snarky about people's bad translations :shock:
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

zompist wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:47 pm Omigod, the Old Chinese is going to be difficult enough. Also, please don't write in seal script.
Fortunately seal script would be beyond me! I don't even know enough about the reconstructed phonology to give it to you that way. You're basically going to get a text as if redacted in the Han dynasty (sorting out radicals) and in more recent times (punctuating, paragraphing) and published in Hong Kong or Taiwan (unsimplified characters).

I imagine you've got good dictionaries with Warring States coverage. If it makes a difference, I'm relying mostly on what's available on Pleco (古漢語大辭典, Le Grand Ricci, A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese), and on John Cikoski's Notes for a Lexicon of Classical Chinese, available online; along with lots of checking at the Chinese Text Project.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Just FYI, I sent on my completed translations over 24 hours ago but they still haven't been viewed.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Since you've made this mistake more than once, I'd like to mention Ryusenshi is also not called Ryusheni.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ser wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:59 pmSince you've made this mistake more than once, I'd like to mention Ryusenshi is also not called Ryusheni.
For a moment there I thought you were talking to me!
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Sorry, I know it's my turn, but I'm very busy this weekend. This will have to wait a few days. Still within the ten-day limit, I hope.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 pm
Ser wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:59 pmSince you've made this mistake more than once, I'd like to mention Ryusenshi is also not called Ryusheni.
For a moment there I thought you were talking to me!
So did I. :P I did consider posting about it earlier, but then my name alternately gets spelled either with a capital letter or without, and mèþru's ends up as <methru>, so I wasn't sure.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

I finished my bit. I gather I wasn't supposed to send the results directly to zompist?
finlay

Post by finlay »

Translated text to him, translation+english version to the organizer
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Great, thanks!
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Moose-Tache said we can just send both to him to make it easier. Then he sends the non-English part to the next person.

EDIT: I guess if you already sent both, then just let Moose-Tache know. :)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Yeah, my goal was to make it so that you only need to send one message, and don't have to keep track of whether you accidentally sent the English version on to the next person. But it doesn't matter as long as the next person gets the text.

Also, since we're not using the English translations until the end, you don't need to do those right away. You can always just get them back to me by the time we finish the whole chain.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.