Venting thread

Topics that can go away
MacAnDàil

Re: Venting thread

Post by MacAnDàil »

Only seven digits? So that's means some hypothetically persistent person would have to have something like a one-in-a-million chance of getting it right, first, second or even third time? And probably get locked out your card on the third attempt?
malloc

Post by malloc »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:47 amOnly seven digits? So that's means some hypothetically persistent person would have to have something like a one-in-a-million chance of getting it right, first, second or even third time? And probably get locked out your card on the third attempt?
Certainly less than a million. The cards are numbered sequentially so the replacement card will have a number considerably closer to the previous card, assuming they are issued within days of each other. Based on my back of the envelope calculations, two cards issued one day apart would differ by around ten thousand. And how can the system lock them out of my card when they haven't found the right number yet?
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I really wouldn't worry. There's a security code for which there's quite a number of possible permutations, and a brute force attempt at credit card fraud would probably not go unnoticed by the issuer.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

malloc wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:48 pm
MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:47 amOnly seven digits? So that's means some hypothetically persistent person would have to have something like a one-in-a-million chance of getting it right, first, second or even third time? And probably get locked out your card on the third attempt?
Certainly less than a million. The cards are numbered sequentially so the replacement card will have a number considerably closer to the previous card, assuming they are issued within days of each other. Based on my back of the envelope calculations, two cards issued one day apart would differ by around ten thousand. And how can the system lock them out of my card when they haven't found the right number yet?
Becuase even when people forget their own credit card by getting the digits muddled up or getting one digit wrong, the card can swallowed by the hole in the wall. So someone who has never met you has even less of a chance.
malloc

Post by malloc »

It turns out that the replacement card got forwarded to my new address after all. Unfortunately, I already got it canceled and ordered another replacement, making it useless now. While this does mean I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my number, I still feel bad about wasting a considerable amount of plastic and an entire card number. I must also find some way to dispose of these defunct cards securely.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

malloc wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:44 pm It turns out that the replacement card got forwarded to my new address after all. Unfortunately, I already got it canceled and ordered another replacement, making it useless now. While this does mean I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my number, I still feel bad about wasting a considerable amount of plastic and an entire card number. I must also find some way to dispose of these defunct cards securely.
The usual way to do that is to cut them into pieces with a scissor and throw them into the plastic trash. And no, nobody will go through the length of sifting through trash to salvage fragments of discarded credit cards and then reconstruct them in order to defraud anyone, because it's no use - when replacement cards are ordered due to loss, the previous cards are deactivated immediately by the credit card issuer.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

hwhatting wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:21 am
malloc wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:44 pm It turns out that the replacement card got forwarded to my new address after all. Unfortunately, I already got it canceled and ordered another replacement, making it useless now. While this does mean I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my number, I still feel bad about wasting a considerable amount of plastic and an entire card number. I must also find some way to dispose of these defunct cards securely.
The usual way to do that is to cut them into pieces with a scissor and throw them into the plastic trash. And no, nobody will go through the length of sifting through trash to salvage fragments of discarded credit cards and then reconstruct them in order to defraud anyone, because it's no use - when replacement cards are ordered due to loss, the previous cards are deactivated immediately by the credit card issuer.
If one feels extra paranoid one can use a pair of pliers to crush the chip after one has cut it out.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:31 pm If one feels extra paranoid one can use a pair of pliers to crush the chip after one has cut it out.
In my experience, a sufficiently strong pair of scissors can cut a card chip, too - it isn't really stronger than the plastic of the card.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:31 pm
hwhatting wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:21 am
If one feels extra paranoid one can use a pair of pliers to crush the chip after one has cut it out.
And if one feels extra, extra, paranoid, one can dispose of the pieces in more than one place.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:35 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:31 pm If one feels extra paranoid one can use a pair of pliers to crush the chip after one has cut it out.
In my experience, a sufficiently strong pair of scissors can cut a card chip, too - it isn't really stronger than the plastic of the card.
My suggestion was just to avoid dulling a perfectly good pair of scissors.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Good point, thank you.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I'm feeling pretty gloomy today. Partly it's because of the state of the world; partly it's because of the state of my own life; but mostly it's just undirected generic gloom with no particular reason. Great.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

New partial lockdown as of Sunday. Fun...
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Zju

Post by Zju »

Raphael wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:16 ampartly it's because of the state of my own life; but mostly it's just undirected generic gloom with no particular reason.
Why doesn't a snowman wear snow pants?
More: show
Because his snow balls are too big.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:16 am I'm feeling pretty gloomy today. Partly it's because of the state of the world; partly it's because of the state of my own life; but mostly it's just undirected generic gloom with no particular reason. Great.
This Gloom is upset about your gloom —

I hope the funny picture can help you feel happier.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Is that a headcrab?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

No, it's a flower; some sort of rafflesia, I think. Here's the official art:

I just thought the 3D model (it's a really old one, from something like 1998) was amusing with the eyes open and the face looking like that.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Oh, thank you, everyone!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:16 pm No, it's a flower; some sort of rafflesia, I think. Here's the official art:

I just thought the 3D model (it's a really old one, from something like 1998) was amusing with the eyes open and the face looking like that.
Yeah, that's from Pokémon Stadium, which came out in the West I think in 1999? (I feel old.) One of its evolutions is more directly based off the rafflesia, though, and actually is called "Rafflesia" in both Japanese and French. (Vileplume.)
Gloom, Gloom Glooooooom?
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

doctor shark wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:15 am Yeah, that's from Pokémon Stadium, which came out in the West I think in 1999? (I feel old.)
I believe it was around then, but the Japanese release would've been earlier, so the model itself, I would guess, was made in 1997 or 1998. I also feel old thinking about it. I remember when this sort of CG stuff was really, really new. I also still have that game cartridge somewhere (and some old Gameboy games and the little thing you can use to connect the two), but not the system for it.