Post by masako »

xxx

Re: What have you accomplished today?

Post by xxx »

congratulations...
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

A good presentation, thank you for sharing!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Same, thanks for sharing. That was a good talk!
masako

Post by masako »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:03 am A good presentation, thank you for sharing!
Ares Land wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:53 pm Same, thanks for sharing. That was a good talk!
Thank you very much!
Emily

Post by Emily »

worked on developing what some place names might be in (early) modern gothic, though this is stymied somewhat by unclear info. mostly this is not knowing where the stress is supposed to go (e.g. borrowing /vrotislav/ "wrocław" results in either /vrudizlav/, /vrutizlev/, or /vrodizlev/ depending on the original stress), but there's also questions like whether prague's original /g/ was a stop or a fricative, or when and how the various consonants in szczecin/stettin got palatalized. idk where to look for more details besides wikipedia tbh. on the other hand i'm having fun with sound changes leading to irregular stems between accusative and dative forms (a possibility for plzen is acc /plizo/, dat /plene/, for example), and the slavic grad/gord/gorod is close enough to gothic /gard-/ that i'm just gonna have them substitute the latter for the former when they borrow place names (which ends up becoming a suffix /-herd/)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

When in doubt, the substitution of similar-sounding native morphemes is always a probability.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I think the lenition of /g/ in Czech and other Slavic languages is dated to the high middle ages, a few centuries after the establishment of Prague.

As for the stress of Slavic words, the Proto-Slavic intonation is often recoverable, and we can compare that to modern Polish to see what has and hasn't moved. For Vortislav, the stress would have been on the first syllable, unless I'm wrong about the rules of compound words.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Emily

Post by Emily »

Moose-tache wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:24 am I think the lenition of /g/ in Czech and other Slavic languages is dated to the high middle ages, a few centuries after the establishment of Prague.

As for the stress of Slavic words, the Proto-Slavic intonation is often recoverable, and we can compare that to modern Polish to see what has and hasn't moved. For Vortislav, the stress would have been on the first syllable, unless I'm wrong about the rules of compound words.
thank you! you wouldn't happen to have any links or resources with more detail, would you?
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Moose-tache wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:24 am For Vortislav, the stress would have been on the first syllable, unless I'm wrong about the rules of compound words.
I can only jugde based on Russian; there, compounds can have the stress both on the first and the second element. But the personal names in -slav are indeed stressed on the first element.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Slavic stress is a controversial area, so I don't know if there is one source to consult. But I remember seeing some of the seminal papers on the topic on academia.org. I would recommend starting there, if Wiktionary/Wikipedia links don't help.

Also, Galician (my Balto-Slavic conlang) was influenced by OTL Gothic, and somewhere I might have a list of believed-to-be-Gothic toponyms, if I can navigate my own notes.
Last edited by Moose-tache on Thu May 04, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I did my senior capstone project on Slavic stress. Unfortunately I was a very uninspired student so my paper basically amounted to the undergraduate equivalent of a shrug emoji.
Emily

Post by Emily »

took a break from the gothic project to work on reconstructing some thoughts for a setting i had worked on back in the day but lost the notes for (a socal county jammed in between a separated orange and san diego counties). very pleased with some of these place names, hope to get a map going soon
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I like money.
More: show
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Another micronation?
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Really an accomplishment over several days, but I found a PDF of The Japanese Language Through Time by Samuel E. Martin, and have been reading through it for useful information. Some of the ideas are a little outdated (it IS from 1987), but I've been able to find several good bits of reference for my Japonic relative conlang and Classical Japanese in general.
A cat and a linguist.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Sounds like an interesting read. Do you happen to have a link handy?
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:48 pm Sounds like an interesting read. Do you happen to have a link handy?
https://vdoc.pub/documents/the-japanese ... ns9uutl0l0 I did notice that if you save it, you need to get rid of the period after vdoc in the name (or just rename the file more generally) otherwise the PDF reader will think it's the wrong kind of file.
A cat and a linguist.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

linguistcat wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:18 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:48 pm Sounds like an interesting read. Do you happen to have a link handy?
https://vdoc.pub/documents/the-japanese ... ns9uutl0l0 I did notice that if you save it, you need to get rid of the period after vdoc in the name (or just rename the file more generally) otherwise the PDF reader will think it's the wrong kind of file.
Thank you!