Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Travis B. »

Now I have multitasking working simultaneously on both cores of the RP2040! Yes, there are some rough edges, such as that interrupt-driven serial IO needs to be turned off for this to work, and once the second core is booted one must make sure to not write to flash until after the next power, but this is doing better than what the heavily-marketed Micropython can do on the RP2040 (e.g. it supports only one task per core).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Today I finished (what should be) the last exam of my undergraduate degree! There’s still some practical classes left which were delayed due to lockdown, but even so, it’s nice having no more exams.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:54 am Today I finished (what should be) the last exam of my undergraduate degree! There’s still some practical classes left which were delayed due to lockdown, but even so, it’s nice having no more exams.
Congratulations!
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

bradrn wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:54 am Today I finished (what should be) the last exam of my undergraduate degree! There’s still some practical classes left which were delayed due to lockdown, but even so, it’s nice having no more exams.
More congratulations!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Congrats!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Yet more congratulations!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Congrats! Always a nice feeling of relief to be done, even with a few practicals left... are you headed for a Master's/Ph.D. after this?

Also, I am pleased to present yet another recent publication from my previous work in the Grandest of Duchies. Looks like 2021's quite an academically productive year for me: this is the fourth publication online, with one more approved (have to approve the final proofs and typesetting, and previous boss needs to empty the group bank account to pay the open access fee).
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Thanks all for the congratulations!
doctor shark wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 pm
Congrats! Always a nice feeling of relief to be done, even with a few practicals left... are you headed for a Master's/Ph.D. after this?
I plan to continue on with a Master’s next year. Not sure about what I want to do after that.

doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

bradrn wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:04 pm Thanks all for the congratulations!
I plan to continue on with a Master’s next year. Not sure about what I want to do after that.
Ah, wasn't sure if Australia had the "direct-to-Ph.D." or combined M.Sc./Ph.D. route like is common in the Sciences in the US/Canada/sometimes the UK, or if it was more like continental Europe with the two being separated. But I'd say to definitely consider the Ph.D. if you enjoy the independent research during the Master's thesis; at least the Master's gives you time/lets you see your options.

(Incidentally, I was a "direct-to-Ph.D." student in the US, but then I ran away to Luxembourg. Long story.)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:21 pm
bradrn wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:04 pm Thanks all for the congratulations!
Ah, wasn't sure if Australia had the "direct-to-Ph.D." or combined M.Sc./Ph.D. route like is common in the Sciences in the US/Canada/sometimes the UK, or if it was more like continental Europe with the two being separated. But I'd say to definitely consider the Ph.D. if you enjoy the independent research during the Master's thesis; at least the Master's gives you time/lets you see your options.
Well, most universities here do have direct-to-PhD; my university is unusual in offering an MRes (as it’s called). This pathway seemed better for me given that I still don’t know which area I’m most interested in researching.

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Congrats, bradrn!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Congratulations! I must give your name an extra-special misspelling, like Bhranndhrynnd, to celebrate!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I had a good time at the local Christkindlmarkt (German Christmas Market to those who can't read German) today with my family.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:46 pm I had a good time at the local Christkindlmarkt (German Christmas Market to those who can't read German) today with my family.
I'm hoping to visit Chicago's tomorrow if I can fight off this damn cold.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Get better!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:59 amGet better!
Seconded!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Thirded.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

We did it! We won the election to form a bargaining unit at my library!

There's still a lot more to fight for. (I'm still not included in the bargaining unit, for instance, due to a conflict of interpretations about the responsibilities of my position. And there's a contract to negotiate!) But we won this battle and we won it overwhelmingly--70-28, which is much better than I hoped for. I'm am so very thankful for my colleagues right now and I feel privileged to work with them.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:26 pm We did it! We won the election to form a bargaining unit at my library!

There's still a lot more to fight for. (I'm still not included in the bargaining unit, for instance, due to a conflict of interpretations about the responsibilities of my position. And there's a contract to negotiate!) But we won this battle and we won it overwhelmingly--70-28, which is much better than I hoped for. I'm am so very thankful for my colleagues right now and I feel privileged to work with them.
"CONGRATULATIONS!"
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Seconded!