Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Travis B. »

I don't know why I'm happier that I have a working and optimized ]Weasel Program (see the Wiki for explanation) for zeptoforth than having a new release 0.26.0 out, which I'm happy about in and of itself, but I am.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I'm also happy that I just fixed a nasty bug with interrupt-driven serial IO when doing symmetric multiprocessing on the Raspberry Pi Pico - previously you had to turn off interrupt-driven serial IO before starting the second core or otherwise the console would break horribly, but at the same time serial IO would have issues when entering large amounts of text quickly (e.g. with an external terminal program integrating a line editor such as e4thcom), making this highly non-ideal unto itself. This should find its way into a new release shortly (but not tonight).
alice

Post by alice »

\\\i'br judy brr

err... I've just been officially diagnosed with autism.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

alice wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:18 am \\\i'br judy brr

??

If I remember correctly, you're in advanced middle age, right? What took them so long?
alice

Post by alice »

Raphael wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:50 am
alice wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:18 am \\\i'br judy brr

??

If I remember correctly, you're in advanced middle age, right? What took them so long?
I'm not that old - just past 50. Which is of course "old" if you're 25.

I don't know who you mean by "them". It was something I'd long suspected, but I only started seeking a formal diagnosis last year.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

alice wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:18 am I'm not that old - just past 50. Which is of course "old" if you're 25.

I don't know who you mean by "them".
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I'll note that "advanced middle age" is not the same as "old", though. And by "them", I meant everyone who worked with you in some mental-health-related function throughout your life.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I fixed the last known bug in zeptoforth's multitasker, which is that KILL was failing in many cases when killing CURRENT-TASK or killing a task on the same core.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Hey, follow up to a vent that doesn't belong in the Venting Thread!
Linguoboy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:52 amSo my current crush is now my former crush. We've been working on staying friends and actually had planned to meet this weekend over brunch to "hash it out" (his words) but now he's suddenly stopped talking to me. I had just started to feel comfortable sharing some things I'd been afraid to tell him for months now and I thought I was doing so in a considerate way that wouldn't overwhelm him but I guess I was wrong. I know at this point I should probably just walk away and see if he chooses to come back but that's something I'm really really bad at. If this the end of my association with him, I'd just like a little closure.
So it took him 26 hours, but he did get back to me. And we did have that planned brunch. It really went as well as I could have hoped: He took full responsibility for leading me on for weeks because he just didn't know how to tell me he liked me but didn't want to sleep with me or date me. All this time I thought he was being callous and aloof he was really agonising about what he was doing to me. If one of us had just been a little more direct about forcing the issue, we could have resolved this ages ago and gotten on to the business of being good friends instead.
rotting bones wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:44 pmI'm sorry that happened. I can kind of relate, but only in the context of making friends. I strike up a friendship, but they start ignoring me. That's a repeating pattern in my life.
I'm always worried that people are just putting up with me. I've been "friendghosted" even more than I've been ghosted by potential lovers and some of my friend-breakups have been worse than my romantic breakups.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:52 am
So it took him 26 hours, but he did get back to me. And we did have that planned brunch. It really went as well as I could have hoped: He took full responsibility for leading me on for weeks because he just didn't know how to tell me he liked me but didn't want to sleep with me or date me. All this time I thought he was being callous and aloof he was really agonising about what he was doing to me. If one of us had just been a little more direct about forcing the issue, we could have resolved this ages ago and gotten on to the business of being good friends instead.
I'm glad to hear you got some closure at least.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

I've been starting to learn coding for WebGL, specifically through tutorials for BabylonJS, which is an engine that uses Javascript to drive the graphics. I'm working towards being able to create 3D experiences for products (mostly automotive). My company does a little bit of this and is pushing to do more. This uses the CG skills I've built so far (modeling, rendering, etc.), builds on the bit of scripting experience I have (Javascript in undergrad and MEL script for Maya at work), and finally adds the UX design aspect that was a focus in grad school. It feels good to have all of that experience adding up to something.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Residence permit extension got approved, so now I can continue my stroopwafel buffet until March 2023! (And, more imminently, I can plan for my combined conference/vacation trip to Germany next month: since my permit was due to run out on 1 April, but the conference was 28-30 March, that would've been very tight...)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I just finished tracking the drums (for the fifth and hopefully final time) for our album.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Congratulations.

I have a friend who makes music, and there's so much technical stuff involved, so that sounds like quite the achievement (I have no musical talent at all).
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Man in Space wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:41 pm I just finished tracking the drums (for the fifth and hopefully final time) for our album.
What kind of music do you make? What is the name of your band?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I successfully executed a Tim Tam slam when only half awake on a Monday morning.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:27 am
Man in Space wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:41 pm I just finished tracking the drums (for the fifth and hopefully final time) for our album.
Death metal; Amniote.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:25 am
MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:27 am
Death metal; Amniote.
I enjoy listening to death metal too. I found your website if I am not mistaken, if indeed the tune Cloak of Selene is by you.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:24 am I successfully executed a Tim Tam slam when only half awake on a Monday morning.
A what?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Why show you when I can have Neil deGrasse Tyson explain the experience to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSnD5vs_35A