Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Jonlang

Re: Random Thread

Post by Jonlang »

So today I learnt that Finns are a bit mental when it comes to times of the day - apparently they actually have official times for when morning, afternoon etc is:

Aamu - morning 06:00-09:00
Aamupäivä - morning 09:00-12:00
Iltapäivä - afternoon 12:00-18:00
Itla - evening 17:00-22:00
- night 22:00-06:00

I have no idea how strictly people adhere to these, like if referring to 09:15 as aamu gets you shot or something :shock: or whether it's like the term "evening" in English - no one really knows when it begins or ends (but they do - aamu ends at 09:00!) Pretty cool though.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

"Evening" in English more depends on whether you are coming or going rather than the exact time of the day - if you are coming, you say "good evening", if you are going, especially if you will be going to bed relatively soon, you say "good night". I suspect "guten Abend" versus "gute Nacht" behave the same way.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:04 pm"Evening" in English more depends on whether you are coming or going rather than the exact time of the day - if you are coming, you say "good evening", if you are going, especially if you will be going to bed relatively soon, you say "good night". I suspect "guten Abend" versus "gute Nacht" behave the same way.
In German, Nacht refers to the time most people are asleep and Abend is the period just before that. So there's some variance depending on what you think the ordinary bedtime is. (22.00 seems a reasonable threshold to me since, even if I'm not always in bed by then, I'm certainly thinking of it and not of embarking on anything.)

The Finnish divisions mirror the canonical hours of mediaeval Christianity. I'm suspect there are other European languages with a similar division (and even non-European ones; Hawai'ian seems to break things down in much the same way, at least according to Duolingo).
alice

Post by alice »

Pabappa wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:24 pm i found some dirty laundry from eleven months ago ,stashed in a handbag that i brought with me from where i lived then to where i lived until I moved here.
A handbag?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Jonlang wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:10 pm So today I learnt that Finns are a bit mental when it comes to times of the day - apparently they actually have official times for when morning, afternoon etc is:

Aamu - morning 06:00-09:00
Aamupäivä - morning 09:00-12:00
Iltapäivä - afternoon 12:00-18:00
Itla - evening 17:00-22:00
- night 22:00-06:00
German is a bit more complicated, with six periods instead of five, but less strictly defined:

Morgen - early morning
Vormittag - literally "before mid-day", late morning
Mittag - literally "mid-day", noon
Nachmittag - literally "after mid-day", afternoon
Abend - evening
Nacht - night - which, as the contrast to Tag "day" might sometimes, by some people, not be seen as one of the "times of the day" at all. Anyway, as Linguoboy indicated, if you're still up late, you'll think of that time as late in the Abend, while, if you have to rise very early, you'll think of that time as very early in the Morgen.

(Personally, as part of my mental problems, I had times when my day-night cycle was so messed up that I basically spent the days asleep and the nights awake. During those times, IIRC my own definitions were something like "Abend - until about 2 am; Nacht - about 2-4 am; Morgen - from about 4 am".)

Related: there's a traditional German children's lullaby called "Guten Abend, Gute Nacht" ("Good Evening, Good Night").
I have no idea how strictly people adhere to these, like if referring to 09:15 as aamu gets you shot or something :shock:
My guess is that it's probably as if you'd point at a bird and say "Look at that mouse!" - you won't get shot, but people might look at you with a funny look on their face. Or perhaps the truth is simply that the compilers of the source where you got your information from for some reason felt that they had to assign specific times?
Last edited by Raphael on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yeah. Laundry hampers dont really hold up too well so I wanted something more sturdy. I have a lot of handbags since they're good for carrying groceries and other things.

Incidentally I found out today that I have 37 pairs of underwear, 21 T-shirts, and 21 pairs of gym shorts. I change my underwear every day but other clothes less often, so I might only have to wash them once a month, though I'd likely need to run two machines at once so Im not sure it's worth it.
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:37 pm My guess is that it's probably as if you'd point at a bird and say "Look at that mouse!" - you won't get shot, but people might look at you with a funny look on their face. Or perhaps the truth is simply that the compilers of the source where you got your information from for some reason felt that they had to assign specific times?
These are the times according to the Finnish government, apparently - which is why I was so struck by it.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Would these definitions have anything to do with high latitude long days and nights?

Oh, and a belated 14th of July joke: it turns out the king was not cake.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ars Lande wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:00 am Would these definitions have anything to do with high latitude long days and nights?
Not sure about that. In a pre-modern society, high latitudes would make it, if anything, more likely that the definitions of times of the day would move with the sun in terms of "absolute" (clock-determined) time, and in a modern society, where the sun stands in the sky doesn't have much impact on the workday in most professions.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Not now, world:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/squirrel-test ... d=71769840

For context, I should probably mention that a few plague cases among animals, and occasionally among humans, are apparently the norm in the Southwest of the USA, or so I've heard.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Pabappa wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:38 pm Yeah. Laundry hampers dont really hold up too well so I wanted something more sturdy. I have a lot of handbags since they're good for carrying groceries and other things.
Where I'm from, a handbag is typically made of leather, and used (mostly by women) to carry personal items out of the house, such as keys, a purse, cosmetics, tissues, pens & paper etc. It's pretty uncommon to carry food shopping in them. Is that what you mean?
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

They put their purse inside of what's essentially a larger purse? huh. Odd. But whatever makes it easier to carry all that stuff, I guess... and I guess I put handbags inside of handbags, though now that I look it up, the term "tote bag" seems to be the more popular term for what Im referring to.

https://cdni.llbean.net/is/image/wim/11 ... A0211793_2 <--- large and sturdy, good for carrying bottles of water, wine, etc ... mine is one of the bottom two.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1100_.jpg <--- small, good for carrying light things.

I use both for laundry depending on the size of the load. As it happens, the supermarkets near me have all banned customers from carrying tote bags into the store, so that makes it highly inconvenient for me and for anyone who doesnt own a car. But other stores that sell food have not prohibited those bags, so Im still using them.

Im the sort of person who doesnt really care what's in fashion or not ... I honestly havent paid attention to whether it's mostly women who use handbags or even large tote bags .... I just use what I need to use. Im the same with clothes .... the gym shorts I spoke of above are officially unisex but are of a style that is almost exclusively worn by women. I didnt buy them to fit in, nor to stand out ... I bought them because they were cheap and comfortable, and finding men's shorts that look the same would have cost me three times as much, perhaps in the assumption that men who dress that way are big spenders.

Ive recently moved into a new apartment and I am hoping to stay here for several years. I might eventually buy myself a pushcart that I could use in the grocery store to help me carry heavy items up the hill I live on, and again it wouldnt bother me at all if social norms dictate that pushcarts are "for old people" or whatever. I'd be using it because I need it. But Im not sure that a pushcart would hold all that much more than I can carry with my hands, so for the time being, I prefer to use my hands and keep my upper body strong.
i now have 43 pairs of underwear instead of 37 becsause why not? i also bought 18 pairs of socks .... i dont really wear socks aroudn the house so i dont know how many i have total but its probably about 25.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

there's a place called Death Mountain in upstate New York but the Google Maps photo collage is just screencaps of Zelda games: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Death ... 73.6462476

(actually that looks like a fan game "Zelda Legends")

Most of the reviews are similar.

I remember once believing that there was a town called Hyrule in Minnesota because someone used it as their location on a webforum but it seems not to exist. There is or was once a company called Hyrule Property Management, but it has no website and i suspect it might not be a real company either.
Zju

Post by Zju »

Morbid curiosity: what is the condition of "one of the top 10 greatest language scientists"? I can definitely see some hints of narcissism, but am not well versed in this field and cannot determine anything else for certain.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

when i was 18 years old ,i still didnt understand how wristwatches worked .... i was on a trip to northern Minnesota with my older sister, who had been living in California for nearly a decade by then and only saw us every few years. when we went to sleep, i took off my watch as i always did and put it in the corner of the room. then we all went to sleep.

at midnight, the alarm went off and woke up my sister. i didnt realize this until the next morning when she complained about it .... i dont remember who she complained to, possibly my mom. but i said, "the alarm always goes off at midnight", and she said something like "well, surely that's something you can change?" and I just said "no".

I was completely serious, I had assumed that the alarm going off at midnight was just a feature of the watch and that it was intended to be useful. therefore i didnt make any attempt to change the alarm, and I wouldnt have known how to if I had tried. neither did i apologize to my sister.... it wasnt until some point well after that trip that i considered the possibility that she might have been right.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

The Constructed Languages of JRR Tolkien | It’s Lit

Recently released, one of the better videos I've seen for people unfamiliar with conlangs, and quite amusing to watch generally. (By 'better', I mean well-researched and accurate on the whole)
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Pabappa wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:37 am there's a place called Death Mountain in upstate New York but the Google Maps photo collage is just screencaps of Zelda games: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Death ... 73.6462476

(actually that looks like a fan game "Zelda Legends")
No, it's from an actual Zelda game, A Link to the Past on the SNES. Zelda Legends is the website from which they took the screenshots: http://www.zeldalegends.net/.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Suddenly piqued by vanity, I changed my username from Ars Lande to Ares Land.
When I first joined, I'd picked a Tarandim clan name at random because that was what I was working on. In the interval, though, the language has changed quite a bit, so the name was kind of bugging me.
Not too confusing, I hope.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Complete map of the Internet, April 1971.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... m_1971.jpg
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Ares Land wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:03 am Suddenly piqued by vanity, I changed my username from Ars Lande to Ares Land.
When I first joined, I'd picked a Tarandim clan name at random because that was what I was working on. In the interval, though, the language has changed quite a bit, so the name was kind of bugging me.
Not too confusing, I hope.
Ars Lande sounds very Star Wars to me.