Venting thread

Topics that can go away
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Venting thread

Post by zompist »

Did you try Google?

https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/plates/renewal.html
Missouri wrote:If you did not receive your registration renewal notice, you may renew at any Missouri license office, by mail, or by phone at 573-751-1957 Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
malloc

Post by malloc »

But it said on another page that I need it along with tax receipts, emissions test, and proof of insurance. It does say something about a form to fill out as an alternative, but I don't have a printer and have no idea what to put for many of the boxes.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

If you can renew over the phone, then obviously you don't need to fill out a paper form. Call them and ask.
malloc

Post by malloc »

That will only make things worse. I had everything else ready one month ago but only held off because I hadn't received the notice yet. I was trying really hard to overcome my habit of procrastination and tackle the issue immediately. Even if this works, I will have waited to the very end instead of taking care of it when it first came up.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

malloc wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:46 pm That will only make things worse. I had everything else ready one month ago but only held off because I hadn't received the notice yet. I was trying really hard to overcome my habit of procrastination and tackle the issue immediately. Even if this works, I will have waited to the very end instead of taking care of it when it first came up.
The only way to stop procrastination is to just do something. (I say this as an inveterate procrastinator.) So, pick up the phone right now and call them (if they’re open in your timezone of course) — what’s the worst that could happen? Best case, you get the renewal you need. Worst case, you just confirm what you already thought was true, plus you have someone knowledgeable to talk about it with. Either way, you’ve overcome your procrastination.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
malloc

Post by malloc »

Got my plates renewed, but really angry at myself for taking so long. If only I had realized the website was poorly worded and I didn't need the renewal notice after all. I could have gotten them renewed one month ago. Instead, I waited until the deadline like a bum.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

malloc wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:26 am Got my plates renewed, but really angry at myself for taking so long. If only I had realized the website was poorly worded and I didn't need the renewal notice after all. I could have gotten them renewed one month ago. Instead, I waited until the deadline like a bum.
Don't beat yourself up for acting on the information you had. Though as others pointed out, you could have double checked. But just go forward with this new knowledge to make next time easier (including that it's better just to check things than to dawdle).
A cat and a linguist.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

malloc wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:26 am Got my plates renewed, but really angry at myself for taking so long. If only I had realized the website was poorly worded and I didn't need the renewal notice after all. I could have gotten them renewed one month ago. Instead, I waited until the deadline like a bum.
Everytime you feel angry at yourself, just tell yourself "Hey, I managed to get it done! And I learnt something! That's great!". And repeat that until you feel better. :-)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I'm really tired of people ringing my bell with deliveries for my upstairs neighbours. This has been an issue since I moved in over a decade ago and it's only gotten worse in the last few years. I don't mind accepting packages for my other neighbours, since they're good people who would do the same for me. Moreover, they either don't get as many or are much better about being ready to answer the door when they do get one.

Today your man buzzed me five times before I went and answered the door. I was still angry about it afterwards so I told my flatmate (who's also at home today but can't hear the bell from his room) and instead of responding sympathetically he started making excuses for the delivery guy. Like I know he's just trying to do his job, but he's doing it in a rude way that inconveniences me. Maybe try reading my fucking mood before responding, dude.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:13 pm Maybe try reading my fucking mood before responding, dude.
You really oughtn't to expect somebody to read your mind, or not object if they think you're saying something unreasonable.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:13 pm Maybe try reading my fucking mood before responding, dude.
You really oughtn't to expect somebody to read your mind, or not object if they think you're saying something unreasonable.
mind ≠ mood
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Don't feel so bad. A lot of people procrastinate when dealing with administrative stuff.

Once I realized my daughter needed a passport two weeks before our flight...
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:57 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 pm
mind ≠ mood
Your mood happens where, exactly?
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:04 am
Linguoboy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:57 pm mind ≠ mood
Your mood happens where, exactly?
Well, one's mood is visible in one's face, demeanor, manner of speaking and acting…. reading moods is a social skill that most people acquire growing up around other people; OTOH, really reading minds is a skill for which I have never seen a convincing example (the phenomena that frequently are called "reading minds" are either reading body language or knowing people well enough to be able to guess what they are thinking).
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

The point I was actually trying to make is that he isn't entitled to the other person agreeing with him, which was how it seemed he was acting, but some people also aren't good at reading moods, which might well be reading minds to them.
alice

Post by alice »

I busted the power socket on my laptop and sent it in for repair. Apparently it's not possible to replace the power socket independently of the motherboard, and the cost is almost that of a new laptop. What a senseless waste of an otherwise perfectly good laptop.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

If you respond or write "LOL" and "LMAO" etc after serious arguments, go fuck yourself.
They or she pronouns. I just know English, have made no conlangs (yet).
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
Zju

Post by Zju »

alice wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:53 am I busted the power socket on my laptop and sent it in for repair. Apparently it's not possible to replace the power socket independently of the motherboard, and the cost is almost that of a new laptop. What a senseless waste of an otherwise perfectly good laptop.
Try a different shop, perhaps? Is the price really nearly the same as for the same laptop of the same year, or of the same specs?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

This is an unfortunate trait I've noticed with some replacement parts — the manufacturer charges so much for them probably to discourage repairs (and sometimes sells only an "assembly" rather than a certain individual part, further making some things more expensive or difficult to repair or replace) — and there isn't a lot the individual repair shops can do about it.
alice

Post by alice »

In this case the "repair shop" was actually the manufacturer, after an actual repair shop told me they couldn't source a replacement part.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.