Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Venting thread

Post by Raphael »

Really, better ability to replace individual parts of gadgets should be mandatory or something.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Yes, indeed, and products should be built to last, like they were before the light bulb cartel.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

The headache of them not being so is enormous.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

What likely is the case is that the power connector is soldered directly onto the motherboard, and either the connector is not made separately available or the first set of repair people were not competent enough to desolder the old connector and solder on a new connector. As for the manufacturer, it's obviously in their interest to force you to spend as much as possible on a fix, hence they would not provide the option of fixing just the connector.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I would assume it was soldered in, yes; that's how things often are when you open them up. Same with parts sold as "assemblies"; while somebody with extensive knowledge might be able to take them apart, they usually come pre-assembled.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

It is unfortunate that so much is made to be disposable these days. In the case of electronics, things like ball grid array chips are nearly impossible to replace. In the case of the power connector here, though, there is the chance that it is still through-hole, though, which should make it easier to replace provided you can get your hands on the part. (Even non-BGA surface mount parts are replaceable by those who know what they're doing.)
Last edited by Travis B. on Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:23 am What likely is the case is that the power connector is soldered directly onto the motherboard, and either the connector is not made separately available or the first set of repair people were not competent enough to desolder the old connector and solder on a new connector.
Definitely the first. I specifically asked the manufacturer if they could supply a separate connector, and they said "We can't do that".
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:05 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:23 am What likely is the case is that the power connector is soldered directly onto the motherboard, and either the connector is not made separately available or the first set of repair people were not competent enough to desolder the old connector and solder on a new connector.
Definitely the first. I specifically asked the manufacturer if they could supply a separate connector, and they said "We can't do that".
That sounds like they are deliberately making the laptop difficult to repair without getting a whole new motherboard.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

To be fair, this isn't just corporate greed. Miniturization and price competition have led to highly consolidated motherboards that are very difficult to replace piece-by-piece. Years ago the inside of a laptop looked kind of like a desktop: off the rack parts connected with wires. Now it looks more like the inside of a smart phone: one single lump of proprietary hardware that can't be easily compartmentalized.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:03 pm To be fair, this isn't just corporate greed. Miniturization and price competition have led to highly consolidated motherboards that are very difficult to replace piece-by-piece. Years ago the inside of a laptop looked kind of like a desktop: off the rack parts connected with wires. Now it looks more like the inside of a smart phone: one single lump of proprietary hardware that can't be easily compartmentalized.
This is true in many ways, but in this specific case this is one of the few things that ought to be replaceable with a replacement part and some skill with a soldering iron.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:38 pm
Moose-tache wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:03 pm To be fair, this isn't just corporate greed. Miniturization and price competition have led to highly consolidated motherboards that are very difficult to replace piece-by-piece. Years ago the inside of a laptop looked kind of like a desktop: off the rack parts connected with wires. Now it looks more like the inside of a smart phone: one single lump of proprietary hardware that can't be easily compartmentalized.
This is true in many ways, but in this specific case this is one of the few things that ought to be replaceable with a replacement part and some skill with a soldering iron.
That's what I thought. Part of me is tempted to go ahead and solder a red wire and a black wire onto the motherboard and attach them to an off-the-shelf socket.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

alice wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:13 am
Travis B. wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:38 pm
That's what I thought. Part of me is tempted to go ahead and solder a red wire and a black wire onto the motherboard and attach them to an off-the-shelf socket.
Of course, you can see the motherboard and we can't. Some designs are more modular than others. Have you tried uploading photos to PC repair forums?
alice

Post by alice »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:47 amOf course, you can see the motherboard and we can't. Some designs are more modular than others. Have you tried uploading photos to PC repair forums?
No, because the laptop is still with the manufacturer. Good idea though.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Apparently hulu changed its policies so that I can no longer log into my brother's account. This means I will have to miss several of my favorite shows. I realize that sounds rather petty, but it still stings given that I have so few luxuries. Those shows were the rare highlight in my week. Oh well. I already know how one of them ends from reading the comic and the others are just light comedy so it hardly matters. Still, can't life let me have anything?
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

That sucks. I checked thepiratebay.org, and they do have plenty of Hulu shows, so... Time for a trip to 2009!
malloc

Post by malloc »

I don't have a VPN or any other way of obscuring my online activities, so piracy is extremely risky. It seems absurd to spend five years in prison just to watch some shows.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Hulu is $7 a month. Is that really impossible for you?
malloc

Post by malloc »

For my current purposes, yes. I don't use hulu all that often and once the current show I am following ends, I won't really need it at all. And in any case, I have never liked the notion of clogging servers with throwaway accounts.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Getting kicked off of your family member's streaming account is a legitimate gripe, even if it is a "first world problem." I remember when we stopped using my brother-in-law's HBO Max account. But the good thing is you don't have to worry about pirating being "risky." Nobody goes to prison for watching The Thing About Pam illegally. If somebody tries to tell you that, just ignore them.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

On Monday I found water under the water heater. Service guy came this morning. We now have a new water heater.

Showered this afternoon. Water in the shower didn't drain and I stepped out onto a floor covered in water. Will now be trying to snake the drain and probably then calling a plumber when it still doesn't drain.

Home ownership is a scam.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)