Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Natural languages and linguistics
Raphael

Re: Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Post by Raphael »

I'm kinda curious how that pronunciation came about now, though.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:07 pm I'm kinda curious how that pronunciation came about now, though.
/ˈfɑvrə/ is a bit of a mouthful for the average NAE-speaker.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:19 pm
Raphael wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:07 pm I'm kinda curious how that pronunciation came about now, though.
Sure, but there are several other options. In many LA French varieties (he's from Gulfport, MS, which is right next door) this would be simplified to /ˈfɑv/, which is easy enough. I can also easily see it being anglicised to /ˈfavər/ or even /ˈfeːvər/. Metathesis would not have been my first guess.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:47 pm
Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:19 pm
Sure, but there are several other options. In many LA French varieties (he's from Gulfport, MS, which is right next door) this would be simplified to /ˈfɑv/, which is easy enough. I can also easily see it being anglicised to /ˈfavər/ or even /ˈfeːvər/. Metathesis would not have been my first guess.
Is it possible that it actually was /fɑv/, and that this was interpreted as a non-rhotic take on /fɑrv/? There is historic non-rhoticity in that area, isn't there?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

anteallach wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:22 am
Linguoboy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:47 pm
Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:19 pm /ˈfɑvrə/ is a bit of a mouthful for the average NAE-speaker.
Is it possible that it actually was /fɑv/, and that this was interpreted as a non-rhotic take on /fɑrv/? There is historic non-rhoticity in that area, isn't there?
The only thing is that non-rhoticity is highly recessive in NAE outside of AAVE, in the South only remaining in a few isolated pockets, which means that if that was the case it'd have to be a rather old reanalysis of /fɑv/ as /fɑrv/. Of course, there are some NAE dialects that do have intrusive /r/ in certain words ("Warshington" for instance).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:58 pmOf course, there are some NAE dialects that do have intrusive /r/ in certain words ("Warshington" for instance).
Mind. Blown.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I thought that was some exaggerated "bumpkin" pronunciation that wasn't from any real dialect.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:31 pm I thought that was some exaggerated "bumpkin" pronunciation that wasn't from any real dialect.
Apparently it's how people native to DC say Washington.

Correction: actually DC after all.
Last edited by Travis B. on Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Do they do so with an actual intrusive /r/-sound, or is it just how other speakers perceive vowels in their dialect?
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

[wɔ.ʃɪŋ.tən] or alternatively [wɔ.ʃɪŋ.tɔn] which i could say is a hypercorrection from original cot-caught merger ala america but it is how i also pronoun "washing"
Sol717

Post by Sol717 »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:58 pm The only thing is that non-rhoticity is highly recessive in NAE outside of AAVE, in the South only remaining in a few isolated pockets, which means that if that was the case it'd have to be a rather old reanalysis of /fɑv/ as /fɑrv/. Of course, there are some NAE dialects that do have intrusive /r/ in certain words ("Warshington" for instance).
That phenomenon is possibly a hypercorrection of the (now probably extinct or nearly so) simplification of /ɹʃ/ to /ʃ/, which makes harsh marsh homophones of hash mash (c.f. also squarsh "squash" and the famous warsh "wash").
foxcatdog wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:34 pm [wɔ.ʃɪŋ.tən] or alternatively [wɔ.ʃɪŋ.tɔn] which i could say is a hypercorrection from original cot-caught merger ala america but it is how i also pronoun "washing"
It's probably not hypercorrection; IIRC, /wɑ/ > /wɔ/ is quite common in AmE, though the following consonant may play a role in conditioning it (/wɔt͡ʃ/ seems more common than /wɔsp/).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Sol717 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:12 am
foxcatdog wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:34 pm [wɔ.ʃɪŋ.tən] or alternatively [wɔ.ʃɪŋ.tɔn] which i could say is a hypercorrection from original cot-caught merger ala america but it is how i also pronoun "washing"
It's probably not hypercorrection; IIRC, /wɑ/ > /wɔ/ is quite common in AmE, though the following consonant may play a role in conditioning it (/wɔt͡ʃ/ seems more common than /wɔsp/).
Having either LOT (e.g. in wasp) or CLOTH (e.g. as in wash) after /w/ for orthographic <wa> is simply Standard English to my knowledge. (It may seem NAE-specific though due to the general loss of CLOTH in much of EngE.)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:49 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:58 pmOf course, there are some NAE dialects that do have intrusive /r/ in certain words ("Warshington" for instance).
Mind. Blown.
Well make sure you're sitting down and have a responsible adult with you before you read this:

My native pronunciation of the word "water" is [ˈwʊɚ̯ɾɚ].

That's very specific to Baltimore (Philly accents have a /ʊ/ but no intrusive /r/), but I don't really think of intrusive /r/ in wash and Washington as dialect-specific. My dad had the latter and, true, he's from Maryland, but my younger brother said warsh as a child and he was all of 2 years old when we relocated to St Louis. It's a recessive feature, to be sure, but I remember it being reasonably common in my mother's generation (all St Louis-born and raised).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:44 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:49 pm
Mind. Blown.
Well make sure you're sitting down and have a responsible adult with you before you read this:

My native pronunciation of the word "water" is [ˈwʊɚ̯ɾɚ].

That's very specific to Baltimore (Philly accents have a /ʊ/ but no intrusive /r/), but I don't really think of intrusive /r/ in wash and Washington as dialect-specific. My dad had the latter and, true, he's from Maryland, but my younger brother said warsh as a child and he was all of 2 years old when we relocated to St Louis. It's a recessive feature, to be sure, but I remember it being reasonably common in my mother's generation (all St Louis-born and raised).
See, this is the sort of stuff about English dialects I like hearing about!
Sol717

Post by Sol717 »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:26 am
Having either LOT (e.g. in wasp) or CLOTH (e.g. as in wash) after /w/ for orthographic <wa> is simply Standard English to my knowledge. (It may seem NAE-specific though due to the general loss of CLOTH in much of EngE.)
I'm not aware of any evidence that such a change was ever fully accepted into standard BrE, though it'd be surprising if it didn't show up in a few of the orthoepists and pronouncing dictionaries. However, the traditional dialects of southern England do appear to have such forms; /wɔːɻʃ/ is even recorded for Somerset and Wiltshire.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Sol717 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:01 am

I'm not aware of any evidence that such a change was ever fully accepted into standard BrE, though it'd be surprising if it didn't show up in a few of the orthoepists and pronouncing dictionaries. However, the traditional dialects of southern England do appear to have such forms; /wɔːɻʃ/ is even recorded for Somerset and Wiltshire.
Cambridge English Dictionary has LOT for wash and wasp for its "UK" pronunciations. (Note that I take this with a grain of salt as its "US" pronunciations are cot-caught merged...)
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:55 am

Cambridge English Dictionary has LOT for wash and wasp for its "UK" pronunciations. (Note that I take this with a grain of salt as its "US" pronunciations are cot-caught merged...)
LOT is the usual pronunciation for both in the UK. I checked the OED2 entries, which show /ɔː/ as an alternative where that was the pronunciation in conservative RP, for both, and they are only shown with /ɒ/.

If wash wasn't a CLOTH word in England, then that would support the idea that West Country /wɔːɻʃ/ originated as a hyper-correction of the loss of /r/ in /rʃ/. A similar explanation might work for the rhotic pronunciation of last recorded in the Survey of English Dialects in Shropshire, but you do also get what looks like straightforward hyper-correction of non-rhoticity; I've heard rhotic spa (not followed by a vowel).
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Cambridge Dictionary doesn't do a very good job of representing US pronunciations. They list the US pronunciation of "was", "what", "from" and "of" as having LOT/PALM and the US pronunciation of "tomorrow" as having NORTH/FORCE.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Space60 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:44 pm

Cambridge Dictionary doesn't do a very good job of representing US pronunciations. They list the US pronunciation of "was", "what", "from" and "of" as having LOT/PALM and the US pronunciation of "tomorrow" as having NORTH/FORCE.
I hate the fact that practically all dictionaries that give separate "US" and "UK" pronunciations give cot-caught-merged "US" pronunciations, as a majority of Americans are not cot-caught merged.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:49 pm
Space60 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:44 pm

I hate the fact that practically all dictionaries that give separate "US" and "UK" pronunciations give cot-caught-merged "US" pronunciations, as a majority of Americans are not cot-caught merged.
For dictionary editors from the UK representing the distribution of the THOUGHT vowel in US English accurately is difficult due to the lot-cloth split which most UK speakers don't have. They may choose to represent cot-caught merged US varieties because it is easier for them to just replace what they have as THOUGHT with LOT/PALM everywhere.