Venting thread

Topics that can go away
malloc

Re: Venting thread

Post by malloc »

Maybe so, but it still sucks that I won't live to see the world get any better. When I die, whether from old age or starving in a recession, the US will be considerably worse off than when I was born. And considering that was the 80s, that's saying something. I honestly have no idea why I bother living anymore, knowing that nothing but catastrophe lies ahead for the foreseeable future.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

malloc wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 am I honestly have no idea why I bother living anymore, knowing that nothing but catastrophe lies ahead for the foreseeable future.
Because we have no way whatsoever of knowing that. Sure, the immediate future looks decidedly worrying — but beyond the immediate future? We just have no way to know. Our current situation could just as easily prove to be temporary, and everything may well get a lot better once we weather this crisis. As they say: ‘predictions are hard, especially about the future’.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

While I agree with large parts of malloc's initial post, I sense that this is turning into a typical malloc debate.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

malloc wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 am I honestly have no idea why I bother living anymore, knowing that nothing but catastrophe lies ahead for the foreseeable future.
Go get counseling.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

It somewhat annoys me when I see otherwise progressive people approvingly quote H. L. Mencken. Come on, people, the man was an ultrareactionary, unapologetically elitist, robber baron worshipping, hypercapitalist asshole! When he made jokes about how stupid people supposedly are, he meant everyone who's not rich, not everyone who would vote for people like Trump.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I had another date today from the matchmaking service. Stood me up. Waited 45 minutes, no call, nothing. I’m thinking I’m going to cancel my membership and just bow out of the dating game. I’m sick of this. Some people just don’t have companions in life, and I think I’m one of them.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

It's probably just because of the matchmaking service, not you. And, even if were to do with you, 1° you should not stand people up and so they're not showing their best side 2° everything and everybody can change so, if there was something about you that people are not liking, you can improve on that.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Welp, Roe v. Wade gone, Griswold v. Connecticut, Lawrence v. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodges on the chopping block. What a time to be alive.
vegfarandi

Post by vegfarandi »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:51 pm Welp, Roe v. Wade gone, Griswold v. Connecticut, Lawrence v. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodges on the chopping block. What a time to be alive.
I'm at an absolute loss as what to do or say or how to be. I'm terrified and angry and sad.
Duriac Threadhe/him
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Worse yet, Salmoneus isn't here so we can't tell him "I told you so."

(For those who got here late— during one of the confirmation hearings for one of the judges who just overturned Roe, Sal opined that obviously the judges would never overturn Roe; they knew perfectly well it was a terrible idea and anyway they were really interesting thinkers.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Biden: Pack the court. Now. This is the only way to save America (and the world) from these scumbags.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

zompist wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:07 pm Worse yet, Salmoneus isn't here so we can't tell him "I told you so."
Speaking of "I told you so"s, Collins and Manchin are predictably whining about having been "lied to" by Gorsuch and Cavanaugh.

Manchin I suspect is being his usual duplicitous self, but I think Collins is honestly feeling betrayed and I just have to ask myself again how someone that fucking naïve can even exist in USAmerican politics.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 pm
zompist wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:07 pm Worse yet, Salmoneus isn't here so we can't tell him "I told you so."
Speaking of "I told you so"s, Collins and Manchin are predictably whining about having been "lied to" by Gorsuch and Cavanaugh.

Manchin I suspect is being his usual duplicitous self, but I think Collins is honestly feeling betrayed and I just have to ask myself again how someone that fucking naïve can even exist in USAmerican politics.
Conservatives are either enemies or fools, every last one of them.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Commiserations to my US friends.

Travis: Impossible without Manchin's support, and, of course, Manchin won't support it.

Linguoboy: I dunno, perhaps by appealing to fucking naive voters?

(As for Sal, I've often been flabbergasted by how someone as knowledgeable and widely read as him could so often, on so many different subjects, talk such nonsense.)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

One of the slats in my bed base has broken.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

One of my uncles, who is in nursing care, had a choking incident yesterday, and even though he nominally survived that, is in the hospital and not looking good...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:37 pm One of my uncles, who is in nursing care, had a choking incident yesterday, and even though he nominally survived that, is in the hospital and not looking good...
That's really bad. Best wishes.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

So sorry to hear that.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Best wishes.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for your uncle.