Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
bradrn

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by bradrn »

My first paper got accepted for publication!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:15 pm My first paper got accepted for publication!
Congratulations!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

bradrn wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:15 pm My first paper got accepted for publication!
[insert confetti shower of celebration] Welcome to the publication club! Which journal, if you don't mind me asking? (And are you first author? I know, so many questions...)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Congrats!
Last edited by Ares Land on Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Thanks all!
doctor shark wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:03 pm
[insert confetti shower of celebration] Welcome to the publication club! Which journal, if you don't mind me asking? (And are you first author? I know, so many questions...)
Optics Express — our paper doesn’t seem to be up on the website yet, but I guess stuff goes slowly in the world of journals. I’m second author (out of three), which I feel is fair; I was swamped with assignments etc. for the past year, and didn’t get to contribute as much as I would have liked. But I’m doing my Master’s now, and will spend this year doing research full-time with the same group.

doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

bradrn wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:01 pm Thanks all!
doctor shark wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:03 pm
Optics Express — our paper doesn’t seem to be up on the website yet, but I guess stuff goes slowly in the world of journals. I’m second author (out of three), which I feel is fair; I was swamped with assignments etc. for the past year, and didn’t get to contribute as much as I would have liked. But I’m doing my Master’s now, and will spend this year doing research full-time with the same group.
Oh, that's a good journal! (And second is good, no matter how many authors are involved. :P) But, yeah, there's both a galley proof stage (where you check to make sure things are written as desired) and often some sort of open-access fee before it goes publicly online, though normally it's within a week to two weeks to appear at the latest: you normally have about 48-72 hours to check the proofs, and the fees often are quickly paid unless you're like my one previous university.
aka vampireshark
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

doctor shark wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:10 am Oh, that's a good journal!
Huh, it is? I sort of gathered it was fairly good, but nice to get confirmation!
But, yeah, there's both a galley proof stage (where you check to make sure things are written as desired)
Yep, they’ve mentioned that to us already.
… and often some sort of open-access fee before it goes publicly online, though normally it's within a week to two weeks to appear at the latest: you normally have about 48-72 hours to check the proofs, and the fees often are quickly paid unless you're like my one previous university.
Not too sure about these kinds of things. I should probably ask my supervisors what’s happening here.

rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Congrats! Super jealous!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

bradrn wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:15 am
doctor shark wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:10 am Oh, that's a good journal!
Huh, it is? I sort of gathered it was fairly good, but nice to get confirmation!
It's not a journal with a high impact factor, but it is a bit of a prestige journal (à la Langmuir) and was not an uncommon choice for liquid crystal people, particularly those working with displays.
But, yeah, there's both a galley proof stage (where you check to make sure things are written as desired)
Yep, they’ve mentioned that to us already.
… and often some sort of open-access fee before it goes publicly online, though normally it's within a week to two weeks to appear at the latest: you normally have about 48-72 hours to check the proofs, and the fees often are quickly paid unless you're like my one previous university.
Not too sure about these kinds of things. I should probably ask my supervisors what’s happening here.
A nonzero amount of publishing is "no news is good news". Plus, since you're not the lead author, it's all their responsibility to keep you informed, but probably it should be online within a week or so.

Minor happy: booked tickets to go to a concert in Luxembourg at the end of April! Very excited.
aka vampireshark
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Extra happy in two doses:
(1) Student finished their Master's thesis today with a quite good mark! He did a lot of good work as well, and I see a paper coming out of it in the very near future.
(2) The pending publication that got rejected earlier (and the rejection got upgraded to "major revision" after my boss rejected the rejection)... accepted now with minor revision. Just in time, as well, for this conference I'm going to where I'll be presenting on the work in the paper!
aka vampireshark
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations! Did you notice that you changed the pronoun for your student in mid-sentence?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:48 am Congratulations! Did you notice that you changed the pronoun for your student in mid-sentence?
Wow, I didn’t even notice that!

In any case, congratulations to doctor shark and his student!

doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Raphael wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:48 am Congratulations! Did you notice that you changed the pronoun for your student in mid-sentence?
Hoppla: didn't notice. (Though I right now have two M.Sc. students, one guy and one girl.) Either way, he did a very good job and will end up on the likely next-to-be-submitted paper. :P
aka vampireshark
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

We finally, finally were able to move into the studio this weekend. This is the Peacemaker, hidden behind "more" tags so that it doesn't blow up everyone's screens on first load.
More: show

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:46 am We finally, finally were able to move into the studio this weekend.
Congratulations!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

That's an impressive-looking drums set!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

It very much is.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Congratulations, both on the studios and the drum set!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Congratulations from me, too! And it's an awesome and beautiful drum kit!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages