What are you reading, watching and listening to? - All languages

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: What are you reading, watching and listening to? - All languages

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:57 am The British (and IME the Germans as well) are apparently quite surprised at the hours-long lunches. That's something, I should clarify, that only happens at family reunions and holidays. Also, it's a bit confusing -- what do they do on Christmas Day then?
Well, in my part of Germany, that would be "reminding each other that it's technically Christmas, which explains why the stores are closed".

(In my part of Germany, what most people first and foremost think of as "Christmas" is Christmas Eve.)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Travis B. wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:24 pm
Raphael wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:43 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:31 pm(she was raised Catholic but later became an atheist, or as they like to call them, ex-Catholic)
Aren't there some atheists-who-were-raised-Catholic who claim that they'll never really stop being Catholic, no matter what they do or don't believe about the existence or non-existence of God?
Apparently being a Catholic is like being an alcoholic - even if you haven't gone to mass in years and have thoroughly disavowed belief in any diety, at some level you're always a Catholic. My mother, for instance, frames her atheism in reference to Christianity and Catholicism in particular, as a rejection of belief, whereas I, having never believed in any diety nor having had anyone ever really try to convert me to believe in any god (or gods), door-to-door Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses aside, do not feel like my atheism is in opposition to any particular belief. I honestly don't care what other people believe, as long as they don't impose their beliefs on others. (I must admit though that it is fun to start religious arguments with door-to-door Mormons and Jehovah's Witness though.)
Something theological (don't ask me for the details!) happens at baptism. I was baptized Catholic so apparently in the eyes of the Church, I don't get to be an unbaptized heathen, I'd be more like a really bad Christian.
This bothers some people (at least here? does it happen anywhere else in the world?) who demand to be 'unbaptized.'
I never really understood what their worry is (they were baptized without their concern? they believe the Church over-reports the number of Catholics? they're afraid of being listed in some file somewhere?) but to each their own. The Church doesn't unbaptize you, because to them you can't do that -- I'd be like demanding to be unborn. So you get a nice little note 'renounced their baptism' on the baptism register.
(As far as I know the 'baptism register' is some old book in a country church; I don't think they keep any centralized files or anything.)

On another level, as an atheist raised Catholic my mental concept of God (if there was a God) is certainly influenced by Catholicism.
An atheist raised Orthodox Jewish certainly has a different concept in mind.
I think many Western atheist have, if not a Christian concept of God, at least an Abrahamic one. We spend at least some time thinking on why we don't believe in the Abrahamic God; Jupiter doesn't get nearly the same attention.

On yet another level, the Catholic Church has its own ways of making people angry. Former Catholics IME can have pretty bad feelings about priests and nuns.
Raphael wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:24 pm It's true that most public holidays are Christian, that Sundays tend to be quiet,
Same here. On the public holidays, I don't think many people could explain why Pentecost or August, 15th is a holiday (It's about the Virgin Mary and that's all I know).
Raphael wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:48 pm Well, in my part of Germany, that would be "reminding each other that it's technically Christmas, which explains why the stores are closed".
Here it's traditional to have a big family reunion; reports about the lunch are not exaggerated. (Drinks and appetizers at 11 AM, dessert will be served around 6PM. Your racist uncle and your leftist niece will start talking politics around 3 PM or the third bottle of wine, whichever comes first. It can be quite a chore and something of a strain on digestion.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

One little tidbit I remember my mother saying was that when she was a Catholic, as a kid, she'd make up sins for the confessional because she didn't actually sin a sufficient amount to always have something to confess, and it was expected that she confess something.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:44 pm Something theological (don't ask me for the details!) happens at baptism. I was baptized Catholic so apparently in the eyes of the Church, I don't get to be an unbaptized heathen, I'd be more like a really bad Christian.
This bothers some people (at least here? does it happen anywhere else in the world?) who demand to be 'unbaptized.'
I never really understood what their worry is (they were baptized without their concern? they believe the Church over-reports the number of Catholics? they're afraid of being listed in some file somewhere?) but to each their own. The Church doesn't unbaptize you, because to them you can't do that -- I'd be like demanding to be unborn. So you get a nice little note 'renounced their baptism' on the baptism register.
(As far as I know the 'baptism register' is some old book in a country church; I don't think they keep any centralized files or anything.)
A part of me finds the Mormons' habit of baptising dead non-Mormons a bit creepy.
I think many Western atheist have, if not a Christian concept of God, at least an Abrahamic one. We spend at least some time thinking on why we don't believe in the Abrahamic God; Jupiter doesn't get nearly the same attention.
The main context in which I've seen Western atheists bring up non-monotheistic deities is in exchanges along the lines of...

Monotheistic Religious Believer: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist?

Atheist: Well, you don't believe in Jupiter, right? How can you be sure that Jupiter doesn't exist?

Or the arguments made by some atheists that goes "Monotheists already believe in the non-existence of almost all gods that were ever worshipped, so why not just go one step farther?"

Here it's traditional to have a big family reunion; reports about the lunch are not exaggerated. (Drinks and appetizers at 11 AM, dessert will be served around 6PM. Your racist uncle and your leftist niece will start talking politics around 3 PM or the third bottle of wine, whichever comes first. It can be quite a chore and something of a strain on digestion.)
We have those, too, though usually on Christmas Eve. The first half of Christmas Eve is usually treated as a regular work and business day, though, so there are limits to how soon the table rioting can start. People who are in contact with a lot of relatives might have a series of reunions on December 24th, 25th, and 26th (my family used to do that when I was younger).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ares Land wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:44 pm I think many Western atheist have, if not a Christian concept of God, at least an Abrahamic one. We spend at least some time thinking on why we don't believe in the Abrahamic God; Jupiter doesn't get nearly the same attention.
One way that belief in the Abrahamic God has influenced many atheists, my mother included, is the focus on the problem of evil, which is specifically an issue if you posit God to be omnibenevolent, omnipotent, and omniscient. Of course, this does not address the fact that many polytheistic Gods never were associated with any requirement that they be omnibenevolent, omnipotent, or omniscient. But polytheistic Gods are treated as a historical curio that need not be given too much consideration in the present-day.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:14 pm
One way that belief in the Abrahamic God has influenced many atheists, my mother included, is the focus on the problem of evil, which is specifically an issue if you posit God to be omnibenevolent, omnipotent, and omniscient. Of course, this does not address the fact that many polytheistic Gods never were associated with any requirement that they be omnibenevolent, omnipotent, or omniscient. But polytheistic Gods are treated as a historical curio that need not be given too much consideration in the present-day.
I think I might actually pay a small amount of money to watch or listen to a debate between an atheist and a person who believes in a Trickster God.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Recently did another rewatch of Derry Girls, and now I've gotten seriously curious about what, exactly, the elderly Irish speaker in the fourth episode of the last season/series is telling the gang. Erin explains that it's apparently some kind of warning about the Devil, but I wonder about the exact words.

Usually I wouldn't want to violate copyright here, but I hope a 17-second audio-only excerpt from a TV show doesn't go too far:

https://guessishouldputthisupsomewhere. ... laudio.mp3

The scene is set in Donegal, but, not speaking Irish myself, I don't have any clue whether they got a speaker of the correct dialect for the role.
Torco

Post by Torco »

- God is either not omnipotent or not omnibenevolent
- ikr?
- what?
- what?

I'm currently re-listening to sawyer's neanderthal parallax series. it's been functioning as comfort food
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:41 am Recently did another rewatch of Derry Girls, and now I've gotten seriously curious about what, exactly, the elderly Irish speaker in the fourth episode of the last season/series is telling the gang. Erin explains that it's apparently some kind of warning about the Devil, but I wonder about the exact words.

Usually I wouldn't want to violate copyright here, but I hope a 17-second audio-only excerpt from a TV show doesn't go too far:

https://guessishouldputthisupsomewhere. ... laudio.mp3

The scene is set in Donegal, but, not speaking Irish myself, I don't have any clue whether they got a speaker of the correct dialect for the role.
I'm tempted to say "Well, I understood it, so it can't be real Donegal Irish." (Seriously, it just sounds like CO to me, though Wiktionary tells me the pronunciation of diabhal she uses is common in Ulster in oaths.) The man Sister Michael speaks to in the next scene is using Ulsterisms like cluinstin and . (The actor, Frankie McCafferty, is a Donegal native, whereas Olwen Fouéré, who plays the old woman, is actually Breton albeit born in Galway.)

Full transcriptions and translations here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DerryGirls/com ... ay/gaelic/
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:10 am I'm tempted to say "Well, I understood it, so it can't be real Donegal Irish." (Seriously, it just sounds like CO to me, though Wiktionary tells me the pronunciation of diabhal she uses is common in Ulster in oaths.) The man Sister Michael speaks to in the next scene is using Ulsterisms like cluinstin and . (The actor, Frankie McCafferty, is a Donegal native, whereas Olwen Fouéré, who plays the old woman, is actually Breton albeit born in Galway.)

Full transcriptions and translations here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DerryGirls/com ... ay/gaelic/
Thank you very much!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 amThank you very much!
Níl a bhuíochas agat!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Ares Land wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:57 am The British (and IME the Germans as well) are apparently quite surprised at the hours-long lunches. That's something, I should clarify, that only happens at family reunions and holidays. Also, it's a bit confusing -- what do they do on Christmas Day then?
Ares Land wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:44 pm Here it's traditional to have a big family reunion; reports about the lunch are not exaggerated. (Drinks and appetizers at 11 AM, dessert will be served around 6PM. Your racist uncle and your leftist niece will start talking politics around 3 PM or the third bottle of wine, whichever comes first. It can be quite a chore and something of a strain on digestion.)
There's your answer about what's different. That's seven hours; even at a family reunion, a dinner in Germany is three hours max. People then either leave, retire to their rooms, go for a walk, play boardgames, or simply sit in the living room, boring talking to each other. Those who are staying over night then may join for drinks or snacks again in the evening.
Ares Land wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:57 am He goes on a bit about the paperwork, and again the struggle is real (I'm hunting for a home right now, so this part definitely hits home)... but I'm not sure I believe the implication that you can buy a house in Britain without some kind of documentation?
A friend of mine is a Dutch national living in rural France, and she, who has lived as an expat in several European and non-European countries, also complains how much French officials love their paperwork and how cumbersome and unresponsive the system is. So there's another anecdata point that in France, it's really worse than in other developed countries.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

NEW KING GIZZARD AND THE LIZARD WIZARD SONG LET’S GOOOOOOOOOO

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – “Gila Monster”
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:20 pm Despite boomer memeing electronic music is by far the most soulful genre of music
To each their own. Which memes are these?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

MacAnDàil wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:09 am
foxcatdog wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:20 pm Despite boomer memeing electronic music is by far the most soulful genre of music
To each their own. Which memes are these?
I dunno, but I have to say, foxcatdog—that is a bold statement and I am glad to note that you are this passionate about music. I do love to see it.

As for mine own part:

Gnome – “Ambrosius
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Lust by KMFDM
alice

Post by alice »

One of the topics on the ZBB.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.