Conlang fluency thread

Conworlds and conlangs
doctor shark

Re: Conlang fluency thread

Post by doctor shark »

Èa tèrmin della lunilit-c̦i irse èle Basse-Tere per mièin pristin trava com rișièrșetar, mè nè save za podaie une idur via sa Beljica fare mit șe fulièsse c̦e vaie.
[æ tᵊɾˈmin ˈdel.lɐ luˈni.lit.tɕi ˈiɾsɛə̯͜ˈlɛ ˈbas.sɛˌte.ɾɛ pɛɾ miə̯jn ˈpɾis.tin ˈtra.vɐ ˈkom ri.ɕiᵊɾˈʃe.taɾ | mə͜nᵊ ˈsa.vɛ zɐ poˈdaj.ɛ ˈu.nɛ ˈi.duɾ vjɐ sɐ bel̪ˈʒi.kɐ ˈfa.ɾɛ mit ʃɛ ˈfu.ʎᵊs.sə tʃɛ ˈvaj.ɛ]
At the end of this month, I'll go to the Netherlands to start my new research job, but I don't know if I can transit through Belgium with the paperwork I have.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
jal

Post by jal »

doctor shark wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:48 pmAt the end of this month, I'll go to the Netherlands to start my new research job
Ota wo lan yu lef wok? Beljm bohda a klos pon olda trafik bot won swabl. Mi go tingk sta a nyu jop a won.
From what country are you travelling? The Belgian border is closed for all traffic except necessary travel. I'd think the start of a new job is necessary.

JAL
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

jal wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:14 am
doctor shark wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:48 pmAt the end of this month, I'll go to the Netherlands to start my new research job
Ota wo lan yu lef wok? Beljm bohda a klos pon olda trafik bot won swabl. Mi go tingk sta a nyu jop a won.
From what country are you travelling? The Belgian border is closed for all traffic except necessary travel. I'd think the start of a new job is necessary.

JAL
De Lucsemborgo. (Sa granița lucsemborgin-allemanin è ciassa èt tosi ècsterioi sin domișilo èt s'Allemane.) Oc, cojite asse, mè scribissir èa poliția fedèrala beljicin per un validasiona c̦e podiair lua atritare. Si rejuli tașatãt c̦aca ziuè și nè sãt assuri per mièin miliat.
[dɛ luk.semˈboɾ.go | sɐ gɾaˈni.t͡sɐ luk.semˈbor.gin al.leˈma.nin ə ˈkjas.sɐ͜ ᵊt ˈto.si͜ ᵊksˈte.ɾjoj sin do.miˈʃi.lo͜ ᵊt sal.leˈma.nɛ || ok | koˈʒi.tɛ ˈas.sɛ | m(ə)͜skɾiˈbis.siɾ æ poˈli.t͡sjɐ fɛdᵊˈɾa.lɐ belˈʒi.kin pɛɾ un va.li.daˈsjo.nɐ tʃɛ ˈpo.djajɾ lwa͜ːˈtɾi.tɐ.rɛ || si reˈʒu.li ta.ʃɐˈtɐ̃t ˈt͡ʃa.ka ˈziw.(ə) ʃi͜ nᵊ sɐ̃t asˈsu.ɾi pɛɾ miə̯jn ˈmi.ljat]
From Luxembourg. (The German-Luxembourgish border is closed to all non-resident foreigners.) Yeah, I think so as well, but I've written to the Belgian Federal Police to confirm that I can enter. The rules keep changing and aren't clear for my situation.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
din

Post by din »

bradrn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:09 pm
din wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:50 pm Sei si iri esnoun sosca mogsladd?
/səi si ˈiɹə ˈəsnʏʊn ˈsoska ˈmoʊslɪn/
NEG-2s Q see-2s problem from mold
Don’t you have issues with mold?
Woozhnaagin: ⟨add⟩ yaayewkwaay /ɪn/-ii diyeebe?
/woːʒnaːgin | ⟨add⟩ jaːjewkwaːj ɪn.iː dijeːbe/

Question: why do you pronounce ⟨add⟩ as /ɪn/?
O Tormiott, i torir siotor porh teiren cosca i speicair, solo i speicair sen o nît siotor porh teiren cosca i torir.
/ʊ ˈtoɹmjʊt i ˈtoɹɪɹ ɕotʊɹ poɹ ˈtəi̯ɹən ˈkoska i ˈspəi̯kɛa̯ɹ | ˈsolʊ i ˈspəi̯kɛa̯ɹ sən ʊ nɪi̯t ˈɕotʊɹ poɹ təi̯ɹən ˈkoska i ˈtoɹɪɹ/
by Tormiott, CL pronunciation be.easy-3s for guess-3p based.on CL spelling, yet CL spelling NEG-3s ADV time be.easy-3s for guess-3p based.on CL pronunciation.
In Tormiott, the pronunciation is easy to guess from the spelling, but the spelling is not always easy to guess from the pronunciation.

To answer your question:
  • /a/ before /t, d, s, θ, n/ is [ɛ] in stressed syllables, [ɪ] in unstressed syllables.
  • Geminate consonants are short at the end of a word. Word-final /d/ changed from [d̚] to [n] over time.
auno ie nasi porh notthiai îsond
i me aiargaui ô melis miurcir
masako

Post by masako »

Imralu wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:56 am Kka. Lika xua xa malasenio lo kka xuas oba juo.
No. It's humid inside the greenhouse, not in the rest of the room.

Teuo kue malasenio nu au amie nu ivaui lika xi aia nxua va guxi oba guni kuaixi enio guni. Zo kka nasa.
Before I put up the greenhouse, I was trying to keep the humidity in my whole room up for the sake of my plants. Now I don't need to.

Tehi ka guizi xua xa malasenio, mie ha koie to mue kuizaxua lo hue tali lo nia xi oba.
Maybe there will be mould inside the greenhouse, but if so it will be easier to sterilise than the room would be.
wa wan kono pu tela
I want to understand this language.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Imralu wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 pm tí kwé nú zí màlàsèɲó ʃwá sòbàlòé ŋùnî | vàwí t͡sàlìká ʃí àjá ʃá kwàʒó kó kwèʎó ʃé tìʒá té i̯xú èɲó ŋùnî
Gen ad dimaag yod inen nageinolha? Oi emmu anyon, gen aneg?
What do your diacritics mean? If tones, which ones?
jal

Post by jal »

Here's my translation of the song from chapter 3 of The Hobbit that I mentioned earlier. I followed the original as far as I could, but that wasn't always possible, so I either reordered some lines, and tried to keep the intention as best as I could. The "river" line that I couldn't keep in the first verse was put in the last one, as it rhymed nicely there.
More: show
SajiwanTranslationOriginal
Oy! Lefan o rayan,Hey! Left or right,O! What are you doing,
a wo kohs y' a wok?what direction are ya going?And where are you going?
Dem poni won ayan!The ponies need iron (i.e. horse shoes)!Your ponies need shoeing!
Dis dwohf-dem a flok!These dwarves are crwoding!The river is flowing!
O! la-la-la-lali (nonsense that rhymes)O! tra-la-la-lally
ya don ina bali!here down in (the) valley!here down in the valley!
Oy! A wo ting yu luk luk,Hey! What are you searching (for),O! What are you seeking,
An a wo kohs y' a mek?And what direction are you going (litt. making)?And where are you making?
Dem spinas a kukThe dumplings are cookingThe faggots are reeking,
An dem bami a bek!And the bamis are baking!The bannocks are baking!
O! li-ri-li-leri(nonsense that rhymes)O! tril-lil-lil-lolly
Di bali a meri,The valley is cheerrfulthe valley is jolly,
a! a!ha! ha!ha! ha!
Oy! A wo kohs y' a pasHey! What direction are you walkingO! Where are you going
Af beya so dotis?With such foolish beards?With beards all a-wagging?
Won se, so mi asWanna know, so I askNo knowing, no knowing
Wo mek Masta Poci'sWhat makes Mr. Baggis [sic]What brings Mister Baggins
An Balin an DwalinAnd Balin and DwalinAnd Balin and Dwalin
kom ina di balicome into the valleydown into the valley
wen Junin Junein June
a! a!ha! ha!ha! ha!
Oy! Y' a go ste ron?Hey! Are ya going to stay around?O! Will you be staying,
Di riba a gosThe river is gushingOr will you be flying?
O yun' a mek gon?Or are ya leaving?Your ponies are straying!
Dem poni tahn los!The ponies are getting lost!The daylight is dying!
Lefing in plejaLeaving isn't funTo fly would be folly,
An steying go lejaAnd staying would be pleasureTo stay would be jolly
So lisn dem song,So listen to the songsAnd listen and hark
minu sing ol' nay long,that we sing all night long,Till the end of the dark
optu de sta,until the start of day,to our tune
a! a!ha! ha!ha! ha!

JAL
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

jal wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:10 pm Here's my translation of the song from chapter 3 of The Hobbit that I mentioned earlier. I followed the original as far as I could, but that wasn't always possible, so I either reordered some lines, and tried to keep the intention as best as I could. The "river" line that I couldn't keep in the first verse was put in the last one, as it rhymed nicely there.
Nona ireane houhod! Na den houduh aryoum rug eggoned dane?
I love it! Did you translate songs from the first chapter?

Nona ireane hourog em "Aggoer meineh omyemhu nahhim dihad hoada"
I really like "Far over the misty mountains cold"

Hau dedo nohouduh inen
Would love to see your translation
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

quinterbeck wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 pm
jal wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:10 pm Here's my translation of the song from chapter 3 of The Hobbit that I mentioned earlier. I followed the original as far as I could, but that wasn't always possible, so I either reordered some lines, and tried to keep the intention as best as I could. The "river" line that I couldn't keep in the first verse was put in the last one, as it rhymed nicely there.
Nona ireane houhod! Na den houduh aryoum rug eggoned dane?
I love it! Did you translate songs from the first chapter?

Nona ireane hourog em "Aggoer meineh omyemhu nahhim dihad hoada"
I really like "Far over the misty mountains cold"

Hau dedo nohouduh inen
Would love to see your translation

Sheh wa yaadi.
/ʃeh wa jaːdi/

Here it is.

sheh
here
wa
at
yaa-di
3s.ABS-there.is
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

masako wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:58 pmwa wan kono pu tela
I want to understand this language.
Teuas eui! Atie!
Thank you! Here (it is)!

Kilinokilo xuaie:
Here is a gloss:

Kka
not (v)

Lika
wet (v)
xua
LOC.3S.DEF.INAN (n)
xa
inside (v)
mala-s-enio
house-EP-plant (v)
lo
ADV (p)
kka
not (v)
xuas
LOC.3S.DEF.INAN (n)
oba
room (v)
juo
outside (v)
"It's humid (wet) (at what is) inside the greenhouse (plant house), (it is) not in the rest of the room (in the external room)."

Teuo
second;afterwards (p)
kue
create;cause (v)
mala-s-enio
house-EP-plant (v)
nu
NOM.1S.ICS (n)
au
first;beforehand (p)
amie
try;attempt (v)
nu
NOM.1S.ICS (n)
i-va‹u›i
PRED-stay‹CAUS› (v)
lika
wet (v)
xi
ACC.3S.DEF.INAN (n)
aia
air;space (v)
n-xua
COP-LOC.3S.DEF.INAN (n→v)
va
all (v)
g-uxi
COP-GEN.3S.DEF.INAN (n→v)
oba
room (v)
g-uni
COP-GEN.1S.ICS (n→v)
kuaixi
BEN.3P.DEF.INAN (n)
enio
plant (v)
g-uni
COP-GEN.1S.ICS (n→v)
Zo
underway;PROG (v)
kka
not (v)
nasa
necessary (v)
"Before (= second) I put up the greenhouse, (first) I was trying to keep the humidity in my whole room up for the sake of my plants. Now I don't need to."

Tehi
maybe;perhaps;possible (v)
ka
PROS (v)
guizi
mould;fungus (v)
xua
LOC.3S.DEF.INAN (n)
xa
inside (v)
mala-s-enio
house-EP-plant (v)
mie
but (p)
ha
if;Q (p)
koie
like.this.PROX (v)
to
then;thus (p)
mue
able (v)
k‹u›i-zax‹u›a
without‹CAUS›-sick‹CAUS› (v)
lo
ADV (p)
hue
COMP;more (v)
tali
easy (v)
lo
ADV (p)
nia
less (v)
xi
ACC.3S.DEF.INAN (n)
oba
room (v)
"Maybe there will be mould (on what is) inside the greenhouse, but if so it will be easier to sterilise than the room would be."

________________________________________________________________________________________

Teuas
thank (v)
eui
DAT.2S.ICS
!
A-tie
LOC-DEM.PROX (v)
!
Thank you! Here (it is)!

Kil‹in›o-kilo
word‹INCEP.PRF›-word (v)
xua-ie
LOC.3S.DEF.INAN-PROX (n)
Here is a gloss!

Notes:
  • EP = epenthesis
  • PRED = predicate marker: The sentence-level predicate is generally unmarked and occurs first in the sentence. If an argument/adjunct appears before it (such as in topicalisation), the beginning of the predicate is separated from the preceding argument/adjunct with the prefix i- (or sometimes j-). This prevents it from being interpreted as (part of) the relative clause inside an argument/adjunct. Any verbal or verbal phrase preceded by a nominal and not marked as predicate belongs to that nominal phrase as a kind of relative clause. A complex predicate formed out of a series of verbals can also be "interrupted" by arguments/adjuncts as above. The predicate marker marks the beginning of every recontinuation of the predicate. In the sentence above amie nu ivaui lika xi aia, the nominative argument "I" (in green) has been dropped into the middle of the complex predicate "try to keep wet" (in red). The unmarked word order would be amie vaui lika nu xi aia
  • Eui: I was using accessible pronouns for you before (meaning I'd say teuas eue), but because of the pandemic, I'm using inaccessible pronouns for everybody now. That's how accessibility works!
  • kuizaxua means "disinfect" and I'm pretty happy with this word. Zaxa means "be sick". The causative derivation zaxua means "sicken", "make sick", fairly logically (whence zaxuaiti "be a pathogen/germ", with iti meaning "be small", i.e. be a small thing that sickens). The prefix ki- means "be without", as in mala "be a house" → kimala "be homeless". Applying the causative infix to ki- gives kui-, essentially meaning "remove" or "deprive of": kuimala = "deprive of a house", "make homeless". So kuizaxua basically literally means "remove that which sickens".
  • Kilinokilo is the word for "(be a) gloss". I don't quite remember the logic behind it. The perfective inchoative infix -in- added to kilo "(be a) word" would mean "become a word" or "a word comes into being", and this is modified by an aditional "kilo". I guess the logic was like "word (coming into existence) for word (already in existence)", but derivation can be a bit arbitrary, so it's OK.
Part of speech is in brackets in the gloss.
(n) = nominal: closed class of inflected determiners/pronouns/complementisers
(v) = verbal: only open class of content words. If the gloss word is not a verb in English, it basically means "be ____".
(p) = particle: little grammatical words, sometimes derived from other parts of speech, for example teuo and au are derived from verbals, lo is probably derived from the nominal lejo, the comitative case of the complementiser zuo.
(n→v) = nominal converted into a verbal with the nasal copular prefix (<g> = /ŋ/ - the only time it's not nasal is before /l/, when it assimilates to a syllabic /l/).
quinterbeck wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 pm
Imralu wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 pm tí kwé nú zí màlàsèɲó ʃwá sòbàlòé ŋùnî | vàwí t͡sàlìká ʃí àjá ʃá kwàʒó kó kwèʎó ʃé tìʒá té i̯xú èɲó ŋùnî
Gen ad dimaag yod inen nageinolha? Oi emmu anyon, gen aneg?
What do your diacritics mean? If tones, which ones?
Jehe nu xi molas aibiie bava zuvu!
I'm just using completely standard IPA!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_(linguistics)#Phonetic_notation wrote:For simple tone systems, a series of diacritics such as ⟨ó⟩ for high tone and ⟨ò⟩ for low tone may be practical. This has been adopted by the IPA, but is not easy to adapt to complex contour tone systems (see under Chinese below for one workaround). The five IPA diacritics for level tones are ⟨ő ó ō ò ȍ⟩, with doubled high and low diacritics for extra high and extra low (or 'top' and 'bottom'). The diacritics combine to form contour tones, of which ⟨ô ǒ o᷄ o᷅ o᷆ o᷇ o᷈ o᷉⟩ have Unicode font support (support for additional combinations is sparse).
In case that doesn't make it clear, ^ is a falling tone (a contour tone, basically just combination of ´ then `). It's not the most intuitive when most people are more used to the way of marking tone in Pinyin, which traces the shape of the contour instead, but it's what IPA uses and the Pinyin method has no way of marking a flat low tone. Iliaqu just has a tone accent, so adding the combining diacritics ```´`^ is better than using ˩ ˩ ˩ ˥ ˩ ˥˩, which would be overkill and take up space for no good reason. By the way, the falling tones in Iliaqu are just the result of the high final tone of a word appearing at the end of a declarative sentence, which causes that tone to fall.
Bahe balamba xuua!
That's so awesome!
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
jal

Post by jal »

quinterbeck wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 pmI love it! Did you translate songs from the first chapter?
Bles yu! Mi tahn olda cata wan (an cata tu, oba tu in insay no song-dem).
Thank you! I translated the entire chapter one (and chapter two, but two doesn't include any songs).
quinterbeck wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 pmWould love to see your translation
As Imralu helpful pointed out, it's been on here before. No litteral translation though, just the translation into Sajiwan, but feel free to ask me details.
Imralu wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:37 amThat's so awesome!
Bles yu!
Thank you!

JAL
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Ha ti kina ixu zikinitia giuji va?
ha
Q
ti
PRF
kk‹in›a
not‹PRF.INCH›
ixu
NOM.3P.DEF.INAN
zikinitia
signature
g-iuji
COP-GEN.3P.DEF.ANIM.ICS
va
all

Did everybody's signatures disappear?

Egues aqu xu guni.
egue-s
again-EP
a-qu
LOC-world
xu
NOM.3S.DEF.INAN
g-uni
COP-GEN.1S.ICS

Mine is back.

Ezo xeva ixu enio guni.
ezo
PRES
xeva
visible
ixu
NOM.3P.DEF.INAN
enio
plant
g-uni
COP-GEN.1S.ICS

Now you can see my plants.

jal wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:01 am
quinterbeck wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 pmWould love to see your translation
As Imralu helpful pointed out, it's been on here before. No litteral translation though, just the translation into Sajiwan, but feel free to ask me details,
Kka nu.
It wasn't me.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Imralu wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:54 am Ezo xeva ixu enio guni.
ezo
PRES
xeva
visible
ixu
NOM.3P.DEF.INAN
enio
plant
g-uni
COP-GEN.1S.ICS

Ad imigge unuhwaa allumeu orya allum allona nihmoawage
The greenhouse is bigger than I expected
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Imralu wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:54 am Ezo xeva ixu enio guni.
ezo
PRES
xeva
visible
ixu
NOM.3P.DEF.INAN
enio
plant
g-uni
COP-GEN.1S.ICS

Yaazhkwaay meshwoogem zelag-sileemik yaagidi. Zhaagek kaangik YAAGIZHBEESHIMEN riʔaa — deenig yaaywabihnem sileemek niigbe yaazhem zobegin riʔaa!
/jaːʒkwaːj meʃwoːɡem zelaɡsileːmik jaːɡidi || ʒaːɡek kaːŋik jaːɡizbeːʃimen riʔaː | deːnig jaːjwabihnem sileːmek niːɡbe jaːʒem zobeɡin riʔaː/

I see you have pitcher plants. I really HATE those — plants that eat animals are really creepy!

(No, really — I do have a serious fear of carnivorous plants, to the extent that I feel uncomfortable even typing those words ‘pitcher plant’ in the English translation! Well, at least the ones in your photos look fairly healthy, even if I’m a bit uncomfortable with them.)

Glass Half Baked

Post by Glass Half Baked »

vari notono, aa siimoo!
Feed me, Seymour!
masako

Post by masako »

Glass Half Baked wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:00 pm vari notono, aa siimoo!
Feed me, Seymour!
ke uahimpa
Very random...
Esneirra973

Post by Esneirra973 »

Feed me, Seymour!
Yu nu cumprindu sa rifrincia...
/ju.nu.kũw.pʁĩ.du se.ʁi.fʁĩ.ʃe/
[ju͜ n.kũw.prɪ̃.du sæ͜ ʁ.fʁɪ̃.ʃe]
1.SG-NEG-understand DEF.FS-reference
I don't get the reference...
Llazmacnazion intenna delment mijo tán wanimma.
DEF.FP-machination inner-FEM of-DEF.MS-mind 1S.POSS-MASC be.PRES.IND.PLU INDEF.FS-enigma
Llaz-macnazion intenna de-llo-ment mijo tán wa-enimma
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

masako wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:47 pm
Feed me, Seymour!
ke uahimpa
Very random...
Yaazhsiimop mesh-‘yaagiisi maʔoom yaayniigbe zobegin’-em lee syoob yaadi. Siimor-ek sileemii yayaayeywabihyek pezhiingik…
/jaːʒsiːmop meʃjaːgiːsi maʔoːm jaːjniːɡbe zoneɡinem leː sjoːb jaːdi || siːmorek sileːmiː jajaːjejwabihjek peʒiːŋik/

I think that’s from ‘Little shop of horrors’. Seymour has to feed the plant people…

(NB. That’s ‘Seymour has to feed people to the plant’, not ‘Seymour has to give food to the plant people’. Interestingly, I think the sentence works much better untranslated — the case-marking means there’s no ambiguity, and the free word order means I can still put ‘people’ at the end, where I feel it fits best.)

EDIT: Here’s a gloss:
Yaa-zh-siimop
3s.ABS-1s.ERG-think
mesh=‘yaa-giisi=∅
SUBORD=‘3s.ABS-is.little=REL
maʔoom
place
yaa-y-niigbe
3s.ABS-3s.ERG-cause
zobeg-in’-em
to.fear-NMLZ’-GEN
lee
in
syoob-∅
yonder-ABS
yaadi.
3s.ABS-there.is
Siimor-ek
Seymour-ERG
sileem-ii
plant-DAT
ya-yaa-ye-y-wabih-yek
CAUS-3s.ABS-3s.DAT-3s.ERG-eat-OBL
pezhiing-ik-∅…
person-PL-ABS

Esneirra973

Post by Esneirra973 »

bradrn wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:17 pm
Feed me, Seymour!
ke uahimpa
Very random...
Yaazhsiimop mesh-‘yaagiisi maʔoom yaayniigbe zobegin’-em lee syoob yaadi. Siimor-ek sileemii yayaayeywabihyek pezhiingik…
/jaːʒsiːmop meʃjaːgiːsi maʔoːm jaːjniːɡbe zoneɡinem leː sjoːb jaːdi || siːmorek sileːmiː jajaːjejwabihjek peʒiːŋik/

I think that’s from ‘Little shop of horrors’. Seymour has to feed the plant people…

(NB. That’s ‘Seymour has to feed people to the plant’, not ‘Seymour has to give food to the plant people’. Interestingly, I think the sentence works much better untranslated — the case-marking means there’s no ambiguity, and the free word order means I can still put ‘people’ at the end, where I feel it fits best.)

Yaa-zh-siimop
3s.ABS-1s.ERG-think
mesh=‘yaa-giisi=∅
maʔoom
place
yaa-y-niigbe
3s.ABS-3s.ERG-cause
zobeg-in’-em
to.fear-NMLZ’-GEN
lee
in
syoob-∅
yonder-ABS
yaadi.
3s.ABS-there.is
Siimor-ek
Seymour-ERG
sileem-ii
plant-DAT
ya-yaa-ye-y-wabih-yek
pezhiing-ik-∅…
person-PL-ABS
O, kiddu at sinsu. Tu lingua ist apparintatu at cualcai linguas natauralis?
/o kid.du et sĩ.su tu lĩ.gwe ist ep.pe.ʁĩ.te.tu et kwel.ke lĩ.gwa ne.to.ʁe.lɛ/
[o kid.dw͜ et sĩ.su tu lĩ.gw‿ ist ep.pæ.ʁɪ̃.te.tw‿ et kwel.ke lĩ.gwa͜ n.tɒ.ʁæ.lɛ]
Oh DIST.MS have.3S.PRES.IND sense 2S.POSS.MASC language-FS be.3S.PRES.IND related-MS to any language-FP natural-PLU
Oh, that makes sense. Is your conlang related to any natlangs?
Llazmacnazion intenna delment mijo tán wanimma.
DEF.FP-machination inner-FEM of-DEF.MS-mind 1S.POSS-MASC be.PRES.IND.PLU INDEF.FS-enigma
Llaz-macnazion intenna de-llo-ment mijo tán wa-enimma
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

gokupwned5 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 pm
bradrn wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:17 pm
ke uahimpa
Very random...

Yaa-zh-siimop
3s.ABS-1s.ERG-think
mesh=‘yaa-giisi=∅
maʔoom
place
yaa-y-niigbe
3s.ABS-3s.ERG-cause
zobeg-in’-em
to.fear-NMLZ’-GEN
lee
in
syoob-∅
yonder-ABS
yaadi.
3s.ABS-there.is
Siimor-ek
Seymour-ERG
sileem-ii
plant-DAT
ya-yaa-ye-y-wabih-yek
pezhiing-ik-∅…
person-PL-ABS
O, kiddu at sinsu. Tu lingua ist apparintatu at cualcai linguas natauralis?
/o kid.du et sĩ.su tu lĩ.gwe ist ep.pe.ʁĩ.te.tu et kwel.ke lĩ.gwa ne.to.ʁe.lɛ/
[o kid.dw͜ et sĩ.su tu lĩ.gw‿ ist ep.pæ.ʁɪ̃.te.tw‿ et kwel.ke lĩ.gwa͜ n.tɒ.ʁæ.lɛ]
Oh DIST.MS have.3S.PRES.IND sense 2S.POSS.MASC language-FS be.3S.PRES.IND related-MS to any language-FP natural-PLU
Oh, that makes sense. Is your conlang related to any natlangs?
Yaazhiimelen.
/jaːʒiːmelen/
3s.ABS-related.to-ANTIP-NEG
No, it isn’t.

(Actually, it’s meant to be a proto-language, although I haven’t gotten around to deriving any child languages from it. But I’m glad that it looks realistic enough to get this sort of question!)