Phonemically odd words

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Phonemically odd words

Post by Travis B. »

I've noticed that there exist at least in English a number of phonemically strange words, that are hard to analyze using conventional English phonology. Take geminates, for instance - geminates within the vast majority of morphemes have been lost altogether centuries ago, with most of the remaining geminates being due to clusters split by morpheme boundaries, or in present-day dialects, are due to cluster assimilation and reduction, such as vo[kː]a. However, there are few words where there exist geminates that are not easy to analyze in either of these ways. Most are numbers, such as thir[tː]een, four[tː]een, seven[tː]een, and nine[tː]een. However, at least in the dialect here, of all words (I've mentioned this one before), there is pi[tːs]a, as if the word were borrowed directly from some Italian language with the geminate intact. There are also other occasional words in the English dialect here which are phonemically strange, such as t[ʌːʁˤ]get, which implies a separate /ʌr/ which is not a mere allophone of /ɑr/ despite the fact that this only exists before a lenis obstruent in a single word. This is excluding interjections and ononatopoeia, which have a general tendency to be phonologically odd crosslinguistically.

So, does anyone else also have similarly phonologically odd words in other lects?
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Phonemically odd words

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:19 am I've noticed that there exist at least in English a number of phonemically strange words, that are hard to analyze using conventional English phonology. Take geminates, for instance - geminates within the vast majority of morphemes have been lost altogether centuries ago, with most of the remaining geminates being due to clusters split by morpheme boundaries, or in present-day dialects, are due to cluster assimilation and reduction, such as vo[kː]a. However, there are few words where there exist geminates that are not easy to analyze in either of these ways. Most are numbers, such as thir[tː]een, four[tː]een, seven[tː]een, and nine[tː]een. However, at least in the dialect here, of all words (I've mentioned this one before), there is pi[tːs]a, as if the word were borrowed directly from some Italian language with the geminate intact. There are also other occasional words in the English dialect here which are phonemically strange, such as t[ʌːʁˤ]get, which implies a separate /ʌr/ which is not a mere allophone of /ɑr/ despite the fact that this only exists before a lenis obstruent in a single word. This is excluding interjections and ononatopoeia, which have a general tendency to be phonologically odd crosslinguistically.

So, does anyone else also have similarly phonologically odd words in other lects?
I hadn't really noticed it, but of these, I certainly have something like thirt-teen, fourt-teen, eight-teen, nynte-teen, but probably not the others; target has the star-vowel for me, so a hypothetical form turget would be odd.

I've also been noticing myself mentally reading ewe and ewer as [ɪːw] and ['ɪːː.wəɹ], respectively (eye-dialect probably eewe, eewer), despite [ɪːw] being an unusual sequence except in eww, with which this is probably analogical, along with the schoolbook spelling rule that "e" followed by a consonant followed by another vowel is pronounced /iː/ (phonemically, I think the words analyse as /iːw/ and /iːwəɹ/ psychologically). The names Ewart and Ewan also sometimes get such a mental reading.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

"Pizza" could be analysed as a cluster of t and s as the affricate ts is not a phoneme in english through my pronounciation does leave room for doubt.
The teen forms probably come form association with their plain forms through i don't know about "nineteen" through i don't have it.
"Ewe" is i imagine a spelling pronounciation.
alice

Post by alice »

"Bury" comes to mind for some reason, although I'm not sure it's really what you're after.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

thethief3 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:02 am "Pizza" could be analysed as a cluster of t and s as the affricate ts is not a phoneme in english through my pronounciation does leave room for doubt.
I have a clear contrast between pi[tːs]a and Na[ts]i though; the former has gemination where the latter does not for me.
thethief3 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:02 am
The teen forms probably come form association with their plain forms through i don't know about "nineteen" through i don't have it.
"Ewe" is i imagine a spelling pronounciation.
For some reason in isolation I tend towards [iːu(ː)] for ewe, even though you're probably right that this is likely just spelling pronunciation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Another word I thought of (mind you that this is an interjection) is hell[ou̯], with a very clear diphthong with a very close offglide, whereas normally /oʊ/ is a monophthong here except sometimes word-finally, and then it tends to be a much weaker diphthong, or prevocalically, where it is probably best analyzed as actually having a following /w/.
Estav

Post by Estav »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:19 am I've noticed that there exist at least in English a number of phonemically strange words, that are hard to analyze using conventional English phonology. Take geminates, for instance - geminates within the vast majority of morphemes have been lost altogether centuries ago, with most of the remaining geminates being due to clusters split by morpheme boundaries, or in present-day dialects, are due to cluster assimilation and reduction, such as vo[kː]a. However, there are few words where there exist geminates that are not easy to analyze in either of these ways. Most are numbers, such as thir[tː]een, four[tː]een, seven[tː]een, and nine[tː]een. However, at least in the dialect here, of all words (I've mentioned this one before), there is pi[tːs]a, as if the word were borrowed directly from some Italian language with the geminate intact. There are also other occasional words in the English dialect here which are phonemically strange, such as t[ʌːʁˤ]get, which implies a separate /ʌr/ which is not a mere allophone of /ɑr/ despite the fact that this only exists before a lenis obstruent in a single word. This is excluding interjections and ononatopoeia, which have a general tendency to be phonologically odd crosslinguistically.

I don't perceive -teen numbers as having geminates in my dialect. There's a /t/ with the preceding rime clipped in thirteen, fourteen, nineteen, but this seems comparable to the occurrence of clipped /æ/ in tattoo, /eɪ/ in latex, or /aɪ/ (Canadian raising is non-phonemic for me) in high school.

That target example sounds similar to examples I've seen mentioned of exceptions to Candian raising distribution rules, like [əɪ] in spider and cider. I think I remember a post on the old forums (by Nortaneous, maybe?) saying that this often occurs in disyllabic bases where the second syllable contains /ə/. I'm curious, does [ʌːʁˤ] also feel possible for you in any of these words where -ar- is followed by a liquid: harness, varnish, tarnish, harmony? I feel like I have a length difference between harness and farness.

I'm not sure whether this is odd or not, but it feels natural to me to pronounce the plural of emeritus [ɘˈmeɚɘɾɘs] as [ɘˈmeɚɘɾaɪ], with a voiced flap (as in the singular) followed by [aɪ]. It seems like dictionaries usually show a secondary stress on the last syllable, which would imply to me [ɘˈmeɚɘtaɪ] with voiceless [t] instead.
axolotl

Post by axolotl »

Another such word is "color," which in my speech is the only word in which [ʌl] occurs.

All other potentially-/ʌl/ words are pronounced [ʊl], though a few have "uneven free variation" in which [ʌl] is also a possible (but much less likely) alternate pronunciation.
[ð̞͡ˠʟ] best sound
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Estav wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:09 pm I don't perceive -teen numbers as having geminates in my dialect. There's a /t/ with the preceding rime clipped in thirteen, fourteen, nineteen, but this seems comparable to the occurrence of clipped /æ/ in tattoo, /eɪ/ in latex, or /aɪ/ (Canadian raising is non-phonemic for me) in high school.

That target example sounds similar to examples I've seen mentioned of exceptions to Candian raising distribution rules, like [əɪ] in spider and cider. I think I remember a post on the old forums (by Nortaneous, maybe?) saying that this often occurs in disyllabic bases where the second syllable contains /ə/. I'm curious, does [ʌːʁˤ] also feel possible for you in any of these words where -ar- is followed by a liquid: harness, varnish, tarnish, harmony? I feel like I have a length difference between harness and farness.

I'm not sure whether this is odd or not, but it feels natural to me to pronounce the plural of emeritus [ɘˈmeɚɘɾɘs] as [ɘˈmeɚɘɾaɪ], with a voiced flap (as in the singular) followed by [aɪ]. It seems like dictionaries usually show a secondary stress on the last syllable, which would imply to me [ɘˈmeɚɘtaɪ] with voiceless [t] instead.
/ae/ versus /əe/ and /ɑr/ versus /ʌr/ are phonemic for me, as shown by pairs such as t/əe/ger versus f/ae/ber (I would tend to say T/əe/ber) and h/ʌr/th versus M/ɑr/tha and m/ʌr/sh versus f/ɑr/ce. There are also some odd words IMD such as t/ae/tanium and D/ae/COM. However, [ɑɔ] versus [ʌo] is not phonemic for me, as it is solely conditioned by the voicing of the next obstruent before the next vowel if t here is one. And yes, I have h/əe/ school as well as h/əe/ chair.

/ʌr/ is not possible for me before a liquid; harness, varnish, tarnish, and harmony all have /ɑr/ for me. Also, harness and farness only differ for me in their initial consonants.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

axolotl wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:02 pm Another such word is "color," which in my speech is the only word in which [ʌl] occurs.

All other potentially-/ʌl/ words are pronounced [ʊl], though a few have "uneven free variation" in which [ʌl] is also a possible (but much less likely) alternate pronunciation.
I have /ʌl/ in color, cruller, hull, and I personally have it in bulk but that may be a spelling pronunciation because I have heard other people here who have /ɔl/ in bulk.
axolotl

Post by axolotl »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:39 am
axolotl wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:02 pm Another such word is "color," which in my speech is the only word in which [ʌl] occurs.

I have /ʌl/ in color, cruller, hull, and I personally have it in bulk but that may be a spelling pronunciation because I have heard other people here who have /ɔl/ in bulk.
Where are you from? The ʌl/ʊl -> ɔl thing before consonants and wordfinally is a well-established thing in American English, but I've never been able to find any clear geography of it, other than "vaguely Southern Midwest." I lived in Kansas City for a long time and noticed that it seemed to be a *very* common feature there in particular.
[ð̞͡ˠʟ] best sound
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

axolotl wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:39 am
Travis B. wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:39 am

Where are you from? The ʌl/ʊl -> ɔl thing before consonants and wordfinally is a well-established thing in American English, but I've never been able to find any clear geography of it, other than "vaguely Southern Midwest." I lived in Kansas City for a long time and noticed that it seemed to be a *very* common feature there in particular.
I'm from southeastern Wisconsin. I have /ʌlC/ > /ɔlC/ in a variety of words and morphemes such as bulb, gulf (yes, I have the gulf-golf merger), ultra-, multi-, ultimate, and so on. Note that for me this only occurs before another consonant, and never word-finally. For me personally there are some words which do not have this shift which do have it in other varieties, such as pulse and the aforementioned bulk, but I do hear people here who have them.