Phonotactics Help

Conworlds and conlangs
SenorPez

Phonotactics Help

Post by SenorPez »

Good afternoon. I'm hoping for a little help and guidance in the realm of phonotactics: I just can't seem to get a set of phonotactic guidelines that make the conlang look somewhat Western yet have some variety of syllable types. I keep bouncing between words that look like a cat fell on a keyboard and words that are the same syllable structure repeated over and over again.

I'm not sure if it's my struggles with phonotactics, my romanization, or just me being a little too "English-centric" with how the words should look. So I'm hoping for some insights from the outside!

Consonants and Vowel charts are below, with romanization and IPA. Consonant selection is more limited and skewed to stops and fricatives; no nasalization is intentional. Vowel selection is also smaller (with peculiar romanization for a reason more in-depth than here).

Thank you so much for any help you can provide! I hope my mental block can proceed and I can move a few words from "dropped my phone while typing" to something a little easier to the eyes.
gestaltist

Re: Phonotactics Help

Post by gestaltist »

I feel you need to provide more details. What is "somewhat Western" even supposed to mean? With the kind of information you gave, we would have to throw random ideas at you until you decide you like something. Not very efficient.

What jumps out at me is that your phonology is very weird. Not having any dental or alveolar stops is very weird in itself. But this combined with the fact that you do have a retroflex stop (and only voiced for some reason?), and you have not only /s z/ but also the rather rare /θ/, makes it a very unstable inventory. I don't know if you're going for naturalism - if your goal is weird for the sake of being weird, go ahead. Otherwise you might want to revise your phonemic inventory before you go to phonotactics.
SenorPez

Post by SenorPez »

gestaltist wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:12 pm I feel you need to provide more details. What is "somewhat Western" even supposed to mean? With the kind of information you gave, we would have to throw random ideas at you until you decide you like something. Not very efficient.
Sorry, I can try to be more clear.

I'm trying to develop a phonotactic structure to build syllables that, while not English, aren't as strangely alien. As an example, lättom (stadium, in Verdurian) is a great example of a word that, while not English, might still be a terrestrial language. I've had some luck (gasä for example), but as soon as I try to add a bit of complexity for syllables that aren't CV or VC, it ends up looking like I just punched my keyboard to create a word.
What jumps out at me is that your phonology is very weird. Not having any dental or alveolar stops is very weird in itself. But this combined with the fact that you do have a retroflex stop (and only voiced for some reason?), and you have not only /s z/ but also the rather rare /θ/, makes it a very unstable inventory. I don't know if you're going for naturalism - if your goal is weird for the sake of being weird, go ahead. Otherwise you might want to revise your phonemic inventory before you go to phonotactics.
There's a good chance that was an artifact of the iterative process to this point: Read the LCK, do a few things. Read the LCK, change a few things. Browse a conlag grammar, change a few things. In my effort to strip out consonant dimensions I've gone to far.

When you say "unstable inventory," do you mean balance between voiced and unvoiced, or balance between articulations? I have no real problem moving the θ and ɖ back to t and d, for example. The main design goal (aside from putting the LCK to use) from a phonetic standpoint was to reduce the number of phones (as well as, for reasons peripheral to the conlang, having a consistent phone-to-symbology process).
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

It looks like Klingon to me; bizarre and unhuman gaps in the phonology and a very unintuitive orthography.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
gestaltist

Post by gestaltist »

SenorPez wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:58 pm I'm trying to develop a phonotactic structure to build syllables that, while not English, aren't as strangely alien.
What you define as alien is a matter of taste. Nuxalk (a real-world language) has words like clhp’xwlhtlhplhhskwts’. Looks alien? And yet it's a real word spoken by real people. Which is why I am asking for more specifics on what you're trying to achieve.
As an example, lättom (stadium, in Verdurian) is a great example of a word that, while not English, might still be a terrestrial language. I've had some luck (gasä for example), but as soon as I try to add a bit of complexity for syllables that aren't CV or VC, it ends up looking like I just punched my keyboard to create a word.
First off, there is nothing wrong with only having CV or VC syllables. If you want to create more complex syllables, it's a good idea to have fixed rules on what consonants can cluster together, and to have rules for resolving illicit clusters if they appear due to inflection or something. Sonority hierarchy is a good start.

A random example of resolving illicit clusters. Let's say you have a prefix k- meaning "inside", and a noun pag meaning house. So *k-pag would mean "house interior". But you don't want two stops in the onset because they are of equal sonority. You could do one of the following (among other things):
  • lenite the second stop to a fricative so it's more sonorous: *k-pag -> kfag
  • insert an extra vowel to avoid the cluster: *k-pag -> kapag
  • decide that you allow long (geminate) consonants, and the prefix assimilates to a following stop: *k-pag -> ppag
In real languages, there are a lot more rules like this. A lot of them arise due to sound changes over time, and can be hard to replicate without simulating at least a bit of a language's history. But this is a start.
When you say "unstable inventory," do you mean balance between voiced and unvoiced, or balance between articulations? I have no real problem moving the θ and ɖ back to t and d, for example. The main design goal (aside from putting the LCK to use) from a phonetic standpoint was to reduce the number of phones (as well as, for reasons peripheral to the conlang, having a consistent phone-to-symbology process).
What I mean that "gaps" in a phonemic inventory should make sense. You have plenty of alveolars. You also have both voiceless and voiced stops at other points of articulation. So why no alveolar stops? This creates a gap and a real language would gravitate towards filling it. That's what I mean with "unstable". /θ ɖ/ would be likely candidates for becoming /t d/ instead. Or maybe /s z/ would become /t d/ and then /ʃ ʒ/ would become /s z/ to fill that new gap.

Having some gaps is fine but they need to be justified. /t/ is one of the most common consonants. It is missing only in a few real languages, and these languages have very few consonants in general. So not having /t/ is very weird in itself, and completely implausible in such a large inventory as yours.

(Another thing is the sole retroflex /ɖ/. It looks like the odd one out here. A retroflex rhotic would be less jarring perhaps as a one-off. But it honestly looks like you added it for the sake of having something interesting without a real plan behind it. If you do want to keep retroflexes, I'd recommend adding at least /ʈ/, as well.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

There's a few things in the romanization and orthography which jump out for me immediately. In no particular order:
  • Using <c> for /s/ and <s> for /ʃ/ seems very unusual. I would swap these.
  • Using <q> for /ʒ/ is also fairly odd - I would use <j>. <q> is used for many odd things though - up to and including [ᵑɡ] in Fijian - so it's not completely unexpected.
  • The vowel system seems very weird in that it lacks /a/. Refer to the Vowel Systems thread on the old board for an excellent introduction to vowel systems.
  • The romanization for the vowels also seems very odd - why wouldn't you just use <e o i u>?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

The lack of nasal phonemes is very unusual. In real world, it only occurs in Puget Sound. Try adding nasal vowel or nasal consonant

Try splitting a cluster into 3 position. (Initial, Medial, and Final). While /pr/ is good word initially, it's bad at final cluster. Example (This is not western, though)

The cluster is only allowed word medially. Not all combination of consonant is allowed. Only <lt>, <ld>, <rt>, <rd>, <ct>, <zd>, <st>, <qd>, <ck>, <zg>, <sk>, <qg> is allowed word medially. Other than that, all consonant can be geminated except <y>, which becomes <s> when geminated. Cluster cannot be geminated. Only <p t k f c s r l y> is allowed word finally.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Wikipedia contains short phonological descriptions of many languages. Have you tried reading these?
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
SenorPez

Post by SenorPez »

Thanks for the feedback and tips; it's going to take a bit to go through it all and iterate the solutions, but I'm eager to try again over this coming weekend and see what develops!