Where Do Alternate Orthography Games Belong?

Conworlds and conlangs
Starbeam

Where Do Alternate Orthography Games Belong?

Post by Starbeam »

Basically, for funzies, i've been trying to see what "reformed" or "[otherlanguage]-ized" spelling. Orthography, as somebody who hates going outside and has difficulty to talking to people no matter how extroverted i feel; is mondo interesting to me, and i've always been interested in written word semantics, pictographs/ signs, and audio recordings used in lieu of talking in person. Yes, I know languages primarily work by being communicated in person, whether spoken or signed. I consider orthography and signage something of arts or beuty in of themselves, no matter how practical the concepts are. So i'd like to showcase some alt-orthographies and visual symbols for languages, without the pretense of people thinking i intend any of them to catch on.

By the by, the only languages i personally think need some remote spelling overhaul are English and Manx Gaelic. However, i'd rather have alternatives than straight-up prescriptivism for even them. English and Manx are very inconsistent spelling-wise, but i get I'm not a speaker of Manx or knowledgeable about all native English dialects.
They or she pronouns. I just know English, have made no conlangs (yet).
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
quinterbeck

Re: Where Do Alternate Orthography Games Belong?

Post by quinterbeck »

GhostMall wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm So i'd like to showcase some alt-orthographies and visual symbols for languages, without the pretense of people thinking i intend any of them to catch on.
I think you're pretty safe with that on here! I for one am happy to entertain conlinguistic ideas without regard for real-world feasibility; similarly, it seems that most zbb users lean artlang rather than auxlang. (Doesn't hurt to clarify your position every so often though)

As a topic, I'd say it's best kept to a single thread. I look forward to seeing what you post :)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

If you're asking which forum it goes in, you've posted to the right place.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

๐ด ๐‘ƒ๐ฎ๐‘๐ฟ ๐ฎ๐‘๐‘€๐‘Š๐ฎ๐‘‡ ๐‘Œ๐จ๐ผ๐‘† ๐‘‹๐ซ๐‘‰ ๐‘„๐ฐ๐‘Œ ๐ฉ ๐‘‰๐จ๐‘‹๐ฌ๐ป ๐‘…๐น๐ฏ๐‘Š๐ฎ๐‘ ๐‘‰๐จ๐‘๐ซ๐‘‰๐‘‹ (^:
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

Nortaneous wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 pm ๐ด ๐‘ƒ๐ฎ๐‘๐ฟ ๐ฎ๐‘๐‘€๐‘Š๐ฎ๐‘‡ ๐‘Œ๐จ๐ผ๐‘† ๐‘‹๐ซ๐‘‰ ๐‘„๐ฐ๐‘Œ ๐ฉ ๐‘‰๐จ๐‘‹๐ฌ๐ป ๐‘…๐น๐ฏ๐‘Š๐ฎ๐‘ ๐‘‰๐จ๐‘๐ซ๐‘‰๐‘‹ (^:
???
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

TomHChappell wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:44 am
Nortaneous wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 pm ๐ด ๐‘ƒ๐ฎ๐‘๐ฟ ๐ฎ๐‘๐‘€๐‘Š๐ฎ๐‘‡ ๐‘Œ๐จ๐ผ๐‘† ๐‘‹๐ซ๐‘‰ ๐‘„๐ฐ๐‘Œ ๐ฉ ๐‘‰๐จ๐‘‹๐ฌ๐ป ๐‘…๐น๐ฏ๐‘Š๐ฎ๐‘ ๐‘‰๐จ๐‘๐ซ๐‘‰๐‘‹ (^:
???
Itโ€™s Deseret, one of many attempts at English spelling reform. According to http://2deseret.com/, it means โ€˜I think English needs more than a remote spelling reformโ€™. (I would have preferred to translate it by hand from the Wikipedia table, but I donโ€™t have enough time to do so right now. Iโ€™d appreciate it if someone else could double-check the websiteโ€™s translation!)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

bradrn wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:59 am Itโ€™s Deseret, one of many attempts at English spelling reform. According to http://2deseret.com/, it means โ€˜I think English needs more than a remote spelling reformโ€™. (I would have preferred to translate it by hand from the Wikipedia table, but I donโ€™t have enough time to do so right now. Iโ€™d appreciate it if someone else could double-check the websiteโ€™s translation!)
I had heard of it, but I didnโ€™t recognize it! Thanks!
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

Qwynegold wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:21 pm Have you seen the Romanization challenge thread?
Nah, and the conditions for this site re:necroposting came off a bit unclear and i didn't want to annoy anyone by doing it. Also the thread seems more like a game then the idea i had in mind (in spite of the title i gave). I just wanted to post alternate orthographies.
----

I'll post some alternate orthographies in another thread. Thanks for the info, yall.
They or she pronouns. I just know English, have made no conlangs (yet).
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
mรจรพru

Post by mรจรพru »

Rule of thumb: the megathreads that aren't a project or a question are okay to necro (well except the census and old political discussions)
รฌtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kรฅrroลฅ
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Starbeam wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 pmAlso the thread seems more like a game then the idea i had in mind (in spite of the title i gave). I just wanted to post alternate orthographies.
----

I'll post some alternate orthographies in another thread. Thanks for the info, yall.
Okay. I just thought you might like that game.