Classical Saarvian Scratchpad

Conworlds and conlangs
KathTheDragon

Classical Saarvian Scratchpad

Post by KathTheDragon »

This is a language I've had simmering for a while now, where the general thing I wanted to try was consonant gradation. I'm finally pleased to say I've figured out a system that looks like it gives paradigms I'm happy with. Have some pronominal paradigms.

Last edited by KathTheDragon on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
KathTheDragon

Re: Yet-Unnamed Language Scratchpad

Post by KathTheDragon »

And some noun paradigms.

Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

I'm guessing the ERG/LOC/LAT ending was preceded by a vowel that was syncope'd away, while the ABS/ACC/DIR plural show an older assimilation/dissimilation process? With the ABS plural having vowel epenthesis?

Like, *miʃt *miʃtu *miʃtum > *mist *mistu *mistum > miset mistu mistum,
but *miʒətiil *miʒətii *miʒətis > miʒtiil miʒii miʒtis;
*saθt *saθtu *saθtum > *sast *sastu *sastum > säset sästu sästum,
but *saðətiil *saðətii *saðətis > säðtiil säðtii säðtis.

But maybe I'm terribly wrong, and I just proved internal reconstruction based on a sample of n=10 should never be trusted. not that it needed any proving
Last edited by Kuchigakatai on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:41 pm But maybe I'm terribly wrong, and I just proved internal reconstruction based on a sample of n=10 should never be trusted. not that it needed any proving
I'm afraid this is so. Originally all the stems were at least disyllabic, and the final vowel has been absorbed into the endings, where it survives at all.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

The phonology isn't terribly interesting, but that's ok. The main divergences from the IPA are /b d g/ which are [β ð ɣ], except when immediately before a voiceless stop, in which case they devoice to [ɸ θ x]. The [ɸ] produced by this merges with original /f/ [ɸ].
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Love it.

I'd be interested to see the rules/sound changes that drive these forms since this is a topic I still struggle with.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I have half a mind to at some point derive some sisterlangs to this one and call it a reconstruction challenge.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

More on nominal morphology.

Nouns can be divided into (I think) 7 declension classes: 6 classes of consonant stem, and two (possibly irregular, I haven't decided how much I want to regularise them) classes of vowel stem. The classes are largely unrelated to the form of the stem.

The absolutive, accusative, and ergative cases are used for the core arguments of the verb in a way that depends on the animacy of the arguments. An intransitive verb's sole argument is always absolutive, and the more animate of a transitive verb's two arguments is also absolutive. The remaining argument of the transitive verb is accusative if it's the patient, and ergative if it's the agent.
se-
DEF=
miij
child{ABS}
peŋktu
fox-PL-ACC
juaw-soo
bite{NPST}=3>3

"The child bites foxes"
se-
DEF=
miij
child{ABS}
peŋŋtiil
fox-PL-ERG
juaw-siel
bite{NPST}=3<3

"Foxes bite the child"
The three oblique cases, locative, lative, and directive (which denotes directions) can be extended by a set of directionality clitics: sää "into or towards", hup "out of or away from", mua "adjacent to", and wiel "through" (this set may expand later). Up to two clitics can be attached to a noun, and the meanings combine iconicly: ŋälhis-sää-hup "into then out of a room"

Rather than a genitive case, there's a possessive adjective with the suffix -j- ~ -s-. If the base noun is one of classes C-ä, C-e, C-i, or V-i, then the possessive adjective inflects as class C-e (e.g. loc.sg. -sie), while if the base is one of C-a, C-o, C-u, or V-u, then as class C-o (e.g. loc.sg. -suo). Note that when the suffix is added to consonant stems, there is a linking vowel ää for class C-ä, ee for class C-e, and so on.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

KathTheDragon wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:02 pmI'm afraid this is so. Originally all the stems were at least disyllabic, and the final vowel has been absorbed into the endings, where it survives at all.
KathTheDragon wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:41 pmThe phonology isn't terribly interesting, but that's ok. The main divergences from the IPA are /b d g/ which are [β ð ɣ], except when immediately before a voiceless stop, in which case they devoice to [ɸ θ x]. The [ɸ] produced by this merges with original /f/ [ɸ].
So I basically got it all backwards. :D It's [ð] that devoices to [θ], not an old /θ/ [θ] that voiced to [ð].
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I really like that system of morphosyntactic alignment.
KathTheDragon wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:11 am I have half a mind to at some point derive some sisterlangs to this one and call it a reconstruction challenge.
That'd actually be pretty nice!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

KathTheDragon wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:43 pm The absolutive, accusative, and ergative cases are used for the core arguments of the verb in a way that depends on the animacy of the arguments. An intransitive verb's sole argument is always absolutive, and the more animate of a transitive verb's two arguments is also absolutive. The remaining argument of the transitive verb is accusative if it's the patient, and ergative if it's the agent.
se-
DEF=
miij
child{ABS}
peŋktu
fox-PL-ACC
juaw-soo
bite{NPST}=3>3

"The child bites foxes"
se-
DEF=
miij
child{ABS}
peŋŋtiil
fox-PL-ERG
juaw-siel
bite{NPST}=3<3

"Foxes bite the child"
Interesting (and realistic) system! I suggest renaming the ‘absolutive’ case though: given that it’s used for more animate arguments (=agentive ones), it looks more like a ‘nominative’ case than anything else.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I can't take credit for coming up with the alignment. A friend of mine on Discord shared the idea with me and I liked it.
bradrn wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:14 pmI suggest renaming the ‘absolutive’ case though: given that it’s used for more animate arguments (=agentive ones), it looks more like a ‘nominative’ case than anything else.
A good point
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:31 pm So I basically got it all backwards.
Yep.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

In future, whenever I cite a noun stem, I'll add a superscript vowel after the hyphen which refers back to the inflection class, e.g. wir-ä "rock".

I haven't addressed it directly yet, but a significant number of consonant stems undergo a process of gradation, where the alternants can be described as basically voiceless and voiced. In the singular, the voiced alternant is used for the nominative, accusative, and directive cases (e.g. "room" ŋälb, ŋälbo, ŋälbom, while the voiceless alternant is used for the ergative, locative, and lative cases (ŋälhiil, ŋälhii, ŋälhis). In the plural, these associations are reversed (e.g. nominative ŋälhit, locative ŋälbtii). What I believe to be the full set of consonant gradations is shown below.

<edit>
Cluster gradations other than those shown can appear, but they show regular gradation of the second consonant, e.g. rh ~ rg.

All gradating consonant stems which end in a single consonant, as well as a number of non-gradating consonant stems that end in a single consonant, replace the last vowel of their stem (if it is short) with a long vowel or diphthong. The usual changes are ä e i a o u > iä ie ii ua uo uu, but in some cases (predominantly before invariant voiced fricatives) the vowel is simply lengthened.

Examples of nouns with alternations are maaj ~ maas-i "person", älg ~ älk-i "deer", oob ~ ob-ä "cat", juag ~ jak-o "the north".
</edit>

Vowel stems also show alternation, this time in their final vowel. This alternation is far more limited, however, with only the accusative and directive showing a distinct vowel from the others (and both the same vowel, it should be noted), e.g. miä "woman[ɴᴏᴍ]", maa "woman[ᴀᴄᴄ]"

quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

This is great! I also really love the alignment, and the stem gradations are great. I would be interested to see some more examples of the loc/lat/dir cases and the possessive adjective. That last one isn't a term I've come across before, so I'm curious how its behaviour distinguishes it from cases.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I happen to have a list of all the combinations of locative/lative/directive with the directionality clitics typed up already, so feast your eyes on it.

ŋälhii room-LOC "in/at the room"
ŋälhii-sää room-LOC=IN "inside the room"
ŋälhii-hup room-LOC=EX "outside the room"
ŋälhii-mua room-LOC=AD "next to the room"
ŋälhii-wiel room-LOC=TRANS "throughout the room"
ŋälhis room-LAT "to the room"
ŋälhis-sää room-LAT=IN "into the room"
ŋälhis-hup room-LAT=EX "out of the room"
ŋälhis-mua room-LAT=AD "around the room"
ŋälhis-wiel room-LAT=TRANS "through the room"
ŋälbum room-DIR "towards the room"
ŋälbum-sää room-DIR=IN "towards the room"
ŋälbum-hup room-DIR=EX "away from the room"
ŋälbum-mua room-DIR=AD "past the room"
ŋälbum-wiel room-DIR=TRANS "through the room"

As for the possessive adjective, it's an adjective that means "of X". E.g. se-hantaasuo ŋälhii DEF=room-POSS-LOC man-LOC "at the man's room"
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Nice language so far, has some Uralic flavour to it, without being a rip-off of Uralic ways. I hope that this time, it is meant to be spoken by humans, not dragons or similar nonsense ;)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

WeepingElf wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:55 am Nice language so far, has some Uralic flavour to it, without being a rip-off of Uralic ways.
Well I really know about Uralic is the aesthetic. I've never put in the time to dig particularly deep.
I hope that this time, it is meant to be spoken by humans, not dragons or similar nonsense ;)
*nervous sweating*
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I haven't done much with this language for a while (been playing too much Minecraft) but I've added three more clitics that attach to the oblique cases. loo and ŋiew mark "above" and "below" respectively (erpie-loo "on top of a mountain", se-mores-ŋiew "to the bottom of the sea"). käll on the other hand marks possession. With the locative, it denotes static possession (se-miä-käll "belonging to the woman"), with the lative it denotes acquisition (se-miäs-käll "being acquired by the woman"), and with the directive it denotes the intended owner (se-maam-käll "intended for the woman").
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

After thinking about how to use adverbs (particularly oblique cases with clitics) as noun modifiers, here are two relative pronouns: kaaj ~ kaas-a "who", kani ~ kanj-a "which"