Obenzayet

Almea and the Incatena
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Obenzayet

Post by zompist »

Mornche Geddick wrote:I noticed that in the Proto-Eastern grammar the word for land; xūn-s, listed in the masculine verb table, is realised as ʔün-z in the Obenzayat column, but is ḵün-z in the equivalent table on the Naviu page. Does that represent an early draft of Obenzayat, or an alternative such as Proto-Naviu or another language?
ʔün-z is from an earlier version-- ḵün-z is correct.

Or, if you prefer, I was following a mistaken hunch of Osör Ružeon’s, later corrected by Sarileya. :)
Mornche Geddick

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Poor old Ružeon. I feel sorry for him sometimes.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

zompist wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:43 pm1. I used pˠ etc. in the phonology section. The tilde is used for velarization, but it should overlay the character: p̴. This tends to look terrible, however.
Ah, right, I always forget about that diacritic, even though I've seen it on rare occasion on things about Arabic... Yeah, it tends to be dispreferred because most fonts don't handle it correctly.
BGMan

Post by BGMan »

zompist wrote:I used pˠ etc. in the phonology section. The tilde is used for velarization, but it should overlay the character: p̴. This tends to look terrible, however.
It's nice in a way to see a language that's a bit inconvenient to write in Latin letters.

The Russians would have an advantage in being able to use ъ (and the associated vowels like ы and э), and it would be interesting to see how they would Cyrillize Obenzayet. An Irish-based orthography might be interesting as well. And I guess Swedes would hear them as retroflex as with rd and so forth.