Language Practice (Help your fluency)

Natural languages and linguistics
WeepingElf

Re: Language Practice (Help your fluency)

Post by WeepingElf »

Es klingt so, als ob du denkst / als denkst du, dass ich dein Messer nicht hätte verwenden sollen.
It sounds as if you think that I shouldn't have used your knife.

Es scheint, dass du dich jetzt über mich ärgerst.
It seems you are getting angry at me now.

Würde es in Ordnung sein, wenn ich „es tut mir leid“ sage?
Would it work if I say "I'm sorry"?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Was ist der Unterschied zwischen "benutzen" und "verwenden"?
What is the difference between "benutzen" and "verwenden"?
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Keine Ahnung.
I haven't got a clue.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:29 am Was ist der Unterschied zwischen "benutzen" und "verwenden"?
These two are near synonyms; in some expressions you use one over the other, but it's hard to give a simple, general rule. E.g., when you talk about using people for a purpose, you use benutzen or ausnutzen, but not verwenden. When talking about using words or expressions, you'd rather say verwenden or gebrauchen than benutzen. Etc.
azhong

Post by azhong »

hwhatting wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:51 am
...when you talk about using people for a purpose, you use benutzen or ausnutzen, but not verwenden. When talking about using words or expressions, you'd rather say verwenden or gebrauchen than benutzen. Etc.
Also soll ich vielleicht auch benutzen in meinem Satz verwenden wie ein Messer benutzen?
So maybe I should also use "benutzen" in my sentence like "ein Messer benutzen"?
Pls help delete my account if I haven't logged in for more than half a year. Thank you.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

azhong wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:45 pm Also sollte ich vielleicht auch benutzen in meinem Satz verwenden, d.h. ein Messer benutzen?
So maybe I should also use "benutzen" in my sentence like "ein Messer benutzen"?
benutzen, verwenden, gebrauchen - all are fine in this context; the last one is more literary than the others.
jal

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:28 ambenutzen, verwenden, gebrauchen - all are fine in this context; the last one is more literary than the others.
Niederländisch hat nur "gebruiken" (und "benutten", mit begrenztere Nutzung). Es gibt kein verwandtes Wort für "verwenden".
Dutch only has "gebruiken" (and "benutten", with limited use). There's no cognate for "verwenden".

JAL
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:58 am Niederländisch hat nur "gebruiken" (und "benutten", mit begrenzterer Nutzung). Es gibt kein verwandtes Wort für "verwenden".
Dutch only has "gebruiken" (and "benutten", with limited use). There's no cognate for "verwenden".
I like what you did there :-)
azhong

Post by azhong »

Sie stand vor dem Spiegel und sah sich auf seinem Gesicht die hässliche Narbe an, die wahrscheinlich für den Rest ihres Lebens dort blieben würde.
She stood in front of the mirror and looked at the ugly scar on her face, which would probably stay there for the rest of her life.

Tränen langsam versammelten sich und glitzerten in seinen Augen. Einige walzten entlang der Narbe herunter.
Slowly, tears gathered and glittered in her eyes. Some rolled down along the scar.
Last edited by azhong on Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pls help delete my account if I haven't logged in for more than half a year. Thank you.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

azhong wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:46 amShe stood in front of the mirror and looked at the ugly scar on her face, which would probably stay there in her for the rest of her life.
azhong

Post by azhong »

jal wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:58 am Dutch only has "gebruiken" (and "benutten", with limited use). There's no cognate for "verwenden".
Es scheint, dass es "usage" oder "usages" sein sollte?
I was not sure and I looked it up in the dictionary.
- use: (C and U) a purpose for which something is used
- usage: (C and U) the way a particular word in a language, or a language in general, is used
(I am just intending to provide my help; I'm surely among us all one of those least proper to correct someone's English. XD)
jal

Post by jal »

azhong wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:46 pmEs scheint, dass es "usage" oder "usages" sein sollte?
Probably. "Limited use" would be more like "it's a word you don't often have use for", rather than my intended "it's limited to certain expressions and has narrower application than the more general word".

Danke!
Thanks!

JAL
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

azhong wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:46 am Sie stand vor dem Spiegel und sah sich auf seinem Gesicht die hässliche Narbe in ihrem Gesicht an, die wahrscheinlich für den Rest ihres Lebens dort bleiben würde.
She stood in front of the mirror and looked at the ugly scar on her face, which would probably stay there for the rest of her life.

Tränen langsam versammelten sich langsam und glitzerten in ihren Augen. Einige kullerten entlang der Narbe herunter.
Slowly, tears gathered and glittered in her eyes. Some rolled down along the scar.
jal

Post by jal »

Je voudrais parler plus de langues.
I'd like to speak more languages.

JAL
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

jal wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:38 am Je voudrais parler plus de langues.
I'd like to speak more languages.
Wos vrhit di?
Was hält dich zurück?
Cad é atá ad choimeád siar?
What's holding you back?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

足りる時が無いと思っている。(Tariru toki ga nai to omotte iru.)
N'ayant pas assez de temps, j'imaginerais.
"Not having enough time, I would imagine."
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Bei mir liegt es zum Großteil daran, dass es mich so viel Zeit und Mühe gekostet hat, Englisch zu lernen, dass mir die Vorstellung, das Ganze für eine dritte Sprache nochmal von vorne anzufangen, überhaupt nicht gefällt.

In my case, it's to a large extent because it took me so much time and effort to learn English that I don't like the idea of starting the whole process all over again for a third language at all.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:09 pm 足りる時が無いと思っている。(Tariru toki ga nai to omotte iru.)
N'ayant pas assez de temps, j'imaginerais.
"Not having enough time, I would imagine."
I think it would probably be better with jikan instead of toki, because toki refers to a moment or period, while for like the concept of time you'd use jikan.

最近、たくさんのドイツ語があったんだね。アチュングさんのような事の他には、質問はもしかして「ドイツ語の質問」のスレッドにもっと適当じゃないか。失礼な事を言っちゃってごめん。
Saikin, takusan no Doitsu-go ga attan da ne. Achungu-san no yōna koto no hokani wa, shitsumon wa moshikashite "Doitsu-go no shitsumon" no sureddo ni motto tekitō ja nai ka. Shitsureina koto wo itchatte gomen.
There's been a lot of German recently. With the exception of things like what Azhong writes, would questions maybe better fit in the "German questions" thread? Sorry if I sound a little rude.
jal

Post by jal »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 amWhat's holding you back?
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:09 pmNot having enough time, I would imagine.
Zeit, ja, aber mehr noch mein slechtes Gehör - ich werde niemals reden können mit andere Leute, da ich sie nicht hören, und deshalb nicht verstehen kann.
Time, sure, but moreover my bad hearing - I'll never be able to talk to other people, because I can't hear them and therefore can't understand them.

JAL
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:14 am Zeit, ja, aber mehr noch mein schlechtes Gehör - ich werde niemals reden können mit anderen Leuten reden können, da ich sie nicht hören, und deshalb nicht verstehen kann.
Time, sure, but moreover my bad hearing - I'll never be able to talk to other people, because I can't hear them and therefore can't understand them.