Bone Raising

Conworlds and conlangs
Pedant

Bone Raising

Post by Pedant »

Pardon the title of this post. It's a very bad reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Technology is very much varied across cultures, times, and locations. But the fundamental problems that one needs to solve--food, space, mates, communication, cleanliness, etc.--remain roughly the same throughout. The purpose of this thread is to see how your con-culture would deal with those issues, by whatever means you can think of. You can describe the social institutions or the mechanism itself--it's up to you. If there are any ramifications of any kind, feel free to add them!
Someone wrote: I feel thirsty. How do I get a drink?
Someone Else wrote: In Salvi, if you live in the cities, you can press an amulet to one of the doors in the walls with the correct symbol, and a cup of fresh, clean water will be automatically Summoned for you. Once you're done, you put the cup back in the wall, or throw it into a trash receptacle. The city will put it all on your tab. If you want something a little fancier--fruit juice, for example, or rice wine--then you go to a novelty store and try to bargain with the shopkeeper. Normally it's better to open up a tab; you can pay them back in full with special amulets later.
So, first problem:

What time of year is it? How do I know?
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Zaarin

Re: Bone Raising

Post by Zaarin »

Pedant wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:46 pmWhat time of year is it? How do I know?
Is it hot and dry? It's summer.
Is it warm and stormy? It's winter.
Is it warm and dry? You're going to have a hungry summer...

How does one travel long distances?
Last edited by Zaarin on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Um...Zaarin? You forgot your next question.
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Fixed.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Zaarin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm How does one travel long distances?
Depends on where you're going. In Sanmra, the permanent portal network can take you to almost all enclaves, and even those that don't have permanent portals will have temporary ones opened regularly. It's much the same for Tuanmali. But traveling outside of a portal network means leaving enclaves and traveling overland the boring way. For example, let's say you're in Elten, the capital city of Sanmra, and you want to travel to New York City. There's no portal that takes you directly to New York City, as NYC is outside of Sanmra. What you have to do instead is use the portal network to travel to the closest Sanmran enclave, in Vermont, then travel "normally" the rest of the way, perhaps by bus and train.

Traveling between dalar nations can get tricky. None of them have portals that link directly to one another. As a result, when traveling from Sanmra to Tuanmali, the fastest method is to take portals down to the lone enclave Sanmra maintains in El Salvador, then exit it and nip across town to enter the lone enclave Tuanmali maintains in El Salvador, from which you can enter the Tuanmali portal network. But traveling from Sanmran enclaves (Central Asia/North America) to Lorhani ones (located in Europe) isn't nearly as straightforward--there simply are no enclaves near each other, which means you must travel by train, airplane, etc. through the human world to reach a Lorhani enclave. For example, a Sanmran traveler might travel to NYC as mentioned above, then catch a plane from there to a major European airport before taking a train to their final destination.

Making matters more complicated is that Lorhan doesn't have nearly as good of a permanent portal system as Tuanmali and Sanmra, and arranging for temporary portals between Lorhani enclaves can be such a nightmare that it's often easier to leave one enclave and catch a train to another one, rather than travel internally.

Ad-hoc portals outside of the portal network also exist. However, because all of the major dalar nations tightly regulate portal operation, these are generally "black market" portals not operated by any formal authority. My hypothetical Sanmran traveler who wants to get to Lorhan could go the safe route by catching a plane to Europe from NYC... or they could take the faster and more expensive route by rolling up to the black market portals in New York City that can take you directly to Paris or Berlin. But you're running more of a risk, because the portals are operated by smugglers who don't pay attention to things like "minimum safety standards" and "passenger comfort". Using portals in portal networks is only slightly more strenuous for a traveler than stepping through a door... using the black market portals is a lot more painful.

Next question: What are you eating today?