Vegan/ Plant-Based Conlang

Conworlds and conlangs
plantperson

Vegan/ Plant-Based Conlang

Post by plantperson »

Has anyone ever created a vegan/plant-based conlang?
mèþru

Re: Vegan/ Plant-Based Conlang

Post by mèþru »

I don't think that there is such a thing as a meat-based language, unless if you mean that the speakers are made out of either meat or machines.

If you mean a language which lacks metaphors that have their basis in meat consumption, I'm sure many would still evolve in a vegan culture that observes the eating of meat in nature - especially metaphors about carrion, which is generally avoided by most real human cultures.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Alternatively, if you’re talking about a language that could be spoken by plants about plants, then basically the only one I know of is Entish, and that wasn’t really very developed. (I made my own version of Entish, back when I was younger and more foolish--or possibly less foolish--than I am now, but there’s not much to that one either.)
Is this more what you had in mind?
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I don't think Old Entish, the real language of the Ents, was ever actually made by Tolkien. New Entish appears in LotR though, and in-story it is supposed to be the vocabulary of one of the Elvish languages "strung together in Entish fashion", so I guess it is a relex of Old Entish to some extent.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

The only language I know of that can be spoken by plant is Welsh (I'llseemyselfout).
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

mèþru wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 am I don't think Old Entish, the real language of the Ents, was ever actually made by Tolkien. New Entish appears in LotR though, and in-story it is supposed to be the vocabulary of one of the Elvish languages "strung together in Entish fashion", so I guess it is a relex of Old Entish to some extent.
Fauskanger himself confirms this (my apologies for not realizing sooner): https://folk.uib.no/hnohf/entish.htm

Anyway, plantperson, why do you ask? What’s your game plan?
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

Pedant wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:56 pmAnyway, plantperson, why do you ask? What’s your game plan?
pretty sure this must be a joke, they're called plantperson for crying out loud
malloc

Post by malloc »

Not sure about anyone else, but my conlang only uses the finest organic fair-trade vegan phonemes.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

mèþru wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 amI don't think that there is such a thing as a meat-based language, unless if you mean that the speakers are made out of either meat or machines.
Maybe it could also be a conlang like mine where the speakers are carnivores. :P
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

mèþru wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 am I don't think that there is such a thing as a meat-based language, unless if you mean that the speakers are made out of either meat or machines.
humans are made of meat.... mountain lions are also made of meat. (Or is that what you meant?) If the OP returns maybe they'll explain what this is all about.

In Poswa, you can say you're eating something with no verb .... You just put verb markings on the instrumental case of the noun. In fact, the first word in my sig uses this. But the noun has to be in the lexically edible class, or else it just means you're using it. Thus, to say youre eating a spoon means you need to put a separate verb on, with a meaning like "to eat a handheld object". A vegan society might reduce the edible noun class to just plant life.