The Great Proto-Indo-European Thread's Sequel

Natural languages and linguistics
KathTheDragon

Re: The Great Proto-Indo-European Thread's Sequel

Post by KathTheDragon »

Indeed, but what I meant is that we need a phenomenally better understanding of PIE proper before we can seriously start tackling these questions about what came before in a satisfying way. Just look at all the junk that gets thrown about!
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I recently was skimming Plooth's 2015 paper. Have any of you read it? If so, what do you think of it?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Two things: 1) Do you mean Roland Pooth? 2) "Pooth (2015)" is meaningless without a bibliography to look it up in. What's the paper, or better yet, what's the link?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I can only guess that meþru means this paper. I don't know yet what to think about it, but it seems very adventurous to me.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
mae

Post by mae »

-
Last edited by mae on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

i dont believe it either, but i suspect one basis for the claim is the idea that there should be no primitives containing /o/, and that all such stems are derivatives, even if they were formed thousands of years befeore PIE proper. and i guess we cant put in a laryngeal because Hittite shows that there wasnt one ... although dont laryngeals sometimes disappear even there?

as for the voicing, well ... gʷt > kʷt seems fair and might even be known to have occurred elsewhere.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

mae wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:27 pm Judging 'night, evening' to be derived from an adjectival stem *negʷ- 'naked' through a metaphor 'bare of day' or something like that seems like an especially gratuitous example of unnecessary etymology
It does, and I'd rather take the Greek evidence for *gʷʰ at face value, and reconstruct a root *negʷʰ- "to become dark". Such a verb is supported by the existence of Hittite neku- "to become evening". Moreover, on the basis of Hittite nekuz mehur meaning "in the evening" (which, it should be pointed out, is a locative phrase, so nekuz could represent *nekʷti), the semantics of *nokʷts should rather be "evening".
Pabappa wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:35 pm as for the voicing, well ... gʷt > kʷt seems fair and might even be known to have occurred elsewhere.
Regressive voicing assimilation is well-known from across IE and is standardly reconstructed for the parent language.
mae

Post by mae »

-
Last edited by mae on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Many o-grade nouns have cognates showing a different vowel. PIE *pod- "foot" but Latin pēs, Sanskrit dāru ~ droḥ "tree", and so on. Most simply assign it to paradigmatic ablaut than mythical remnants of some earlier phonological system with no *o.
Zju

Post by Zju »

What was the public consensus on the Caland system again? Mainstream, or a side theory? How about the Narten present?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

The Caland system is very real. Narten presents are a little controversial, the three main opinions being "they don't exist", "they're a primary present formation", and "they're a secondary present formation". I'm personally hesitating between the first and last, since the evidence is slim.
Howl

Post by Howl »

The problem with ablaut in PIE is that even in the oldest attested languages there was a lot of leveling and innovation. So we end up with lots of different patterns and we can't really tell which ones are archaic and which not. So everybody just reconstructs the ablaut patterns they want to reconstruct and explains away the rest.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Indeed. Case in point: what was the weak stem for *o-grade stems? *é? *e? *Ø? There's evidence for each of those.
Howl

Post by Howl »

Perhaps there were different vowels *o₁ (~ø), *o₂ (~e) and maybe even o₃ (~é) that merged into PIE *o but with different weak grades. Something like that might also be able to explain the exceptions to Brugmann's law with PIE *o₁= Indo-Iranian *ā but PIE *o₂= Indo-Iranian *a.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

That's, uh... not what I was going for in the slightest. Positing new ad-hoc vowels is the worst idea.
mae

Post by mae »

-
Last edited by mae on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howl

Post by Howl »

I have done some research and there is not much within PIE to support this idea. The exceptions to Brugmann's law in e/o ablauting stems can be explained by generalization of the e-grade forms. There is also Cowgill's law in Greek with a handful of examples and many more counterexamples. Miguel Carrasquer Vidal reconstructed a separate o vowel for that, but for me it's not worth it. So all I'm left with is a way to explain different ablaut patterns. There are already too many competing ideas out there for that.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

mae wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:21 pm The problem with positing new proto-phonemes for every example of idiosyncratic correspondence is that we quickly get a huge behemoth of a phoneme inventory, when we don't need to--languages in the present are chock full of variation, inter-dialect borrowing, etc. and there's no reason to believe that languages spoken thousands of years ago were different in this regard. We of course should not propose an *a2 for Proto-Germanic on account of modern english [wʌn] < *ainaz vs. [own] < *aiganaz.
One sometimes meets gargantuan phoneme inventories in reconstructions. This page lists 166 consonants for Proto-NWC, and last time I checked Bomhard had 50 consonant phonemes for Proto-Nostratic. If you have exceedingly many phonemes in your protolanguage, this is either a sign that you have missed many conditional sound changes (as in the Proto-NWC example), or you are trying to compare unrelated languages (as probably in the case of Proto-Nostratic).
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

166 is a lot, but 50 is hardly extreme. Many modern NWC languages have in the 45-70 consonant range.
jal

Post by jal »

Salmoneus wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:02 pm166 is a lot, but 50 is hardly extreme. Many modern NWC languages have in the 45-70 consonant range.
The thing being, imho, that the larger an inventory is, the greater the chance that it's reduced instead of expanded in decendents, especially over millenia. I don't buy complex, large inventories being preserved over such a swath of time.

JAL