Words You've Learned Recently

Natural languages and linguistics
holbuzvala

Re: Words You've Learned Recently

Post by holbuzvala »

lucubrate/ lucubration - to work earnestly or labouriously, as by candlelight.

Related to Latin 'lux', and 'lucubro'.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I guess I should post in the thread that I myself started in the old forum, right? :lol:

വിരോധം [ʋiˈɾoːd̪ʱəm] - enmity, ill will, animosity, harm, hostile attitude, objection, prohibition, war, danger
ആഭാസം [aːˈbʱaːsəm] - luster, vulgarity, image, likeness, resemblance
വിരോധാഭാസം [ʋiɾoːd̪ʱaːˈbʱaːsəm] - irony
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Maori mangōroa 'the Milky Way', from mangō 'shark' and roa 'long'.

Nukuoro dau dinae, glossed in Carroll and Soulik's Nukuoro Lexicon (1973) as "a period during which many women are pregnant at the same time".
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Vijay wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:51 pmവിരോധാഭാസം [ʋiɾoːd̪ʱaːˈbʱaːsəm] - irony
Heh, I just realized I posted this in the middle of a long list of words on the old forum. Oh, the വിരോധാഭാസം :P

Not this word, though! This is new:

പരിണാമം [pəɾiˈɳaːməm] - evolution
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

അണ്ണാക്ക് [əɳˈɳaːkɯ] - palate (I'm guessing മേലണ്ണാക്ക് [meːləɳˈɳaːkɯ], literally 'upper palate', means 'hard palate'?)
ഊന് [ˈuːnɯ] - gums
സ്വാഗതമോതുക [ˈsʋaːgəd̪əˈmoːd̪uga] - to welcome (possibly a neologism? Doesn't seem to be a very common word and only gets 32 ghits)
വ്യാപാരം [ʋjaːˈbaːɾəm] - commerce
jal

Post by jal »

"lanyard" - I don't think I've ever encountered it before.

JAL
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

jal wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:38 pm"lanyard" - I don't think I've ever encountered it before.
I wouldn't know what to call it in any other language. We didn't really talk about them until we had to start wearing employee IDs.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:05 pm
jal wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:38 pm"lanyard" - I don't think I've ever encountered it before.
I wouldn't know what to call it in any other language. We didn't really talk about them until we had to start wearing employee IDs.
ID lanyards are cordones (masc.: el cordón) or less commonly correas (fem.) in Spanish.
jal

Post by jal »

Ser wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:26 pmID lanyards are cordones (masc.: el cordón) or less commonly correas (fem.) in Spanish.
I think in Dutch we call them "keycord" or "nekband" or whatever. Though "lanyard" seems to be able to refer to any kind of strap, not just for hanging IDs.

JAL
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Me neither!

കരാർ [kəˈɾaːr] - agreement, condition, contract, pact
അഭിവൃദ്ധി [əbʱiˈʋrɯd̪d̪ʱi] - great increase, prosperity, progress, betterment
ഉപായം [uˈbaːjəm] - means to achieve an end, scheme, trick cunning, one of the four tactics to win over an enemy, tactics, contrivance, device
രേഖ [ˈɾeːkʰa] - writing, letter, document, record, boundary, fraud, longitude (also means 'line' or 'row', but I'm more familiar with those two meanings)
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

I was thinking about my recent mention of French la foire, a vulgar word for 'diarrhea' (another such word is la chiasse), when I realized that Salvadoran Spanish also has a couple vulgar words for "diarrhea": la churria and la churrutaca (which I imagine are partly chosen for their sound symbolism), and, less obscenely, there's also el pringapié and el curso. (I'd say pringapié has some folksy connotations, but curso is very common, to the point of being practically a register-neutral term.)

This made me wonder if English had any such words. I don't think North American English does? But I found that people in the UK can say "the squits". Does anyone use "the trots" and does it have any vulgar or obscene connotations?
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

I can only think of the joke:

Q: What do you call a vegetarian with diarrhea?
A: A salad shooter.

But that doesnt really count, because without that setup, nobody would understand what you were talking about.

Once I said "I spilled myself", but that wouldnt make sense without context either. I dont think Ive ever heard any euphemism for "diarrhea" at all, actually. even Calvin & Hobbes used the word "diarrhea" once, which surprised me.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ser wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 pm I was thinking about my recent mention of French la foire, a vulgar word for 'diarrhea' (another such word is la chiasse), when I realized that Salvadoran Spanish also has a couple vulgar words for "diarrhea": la churria and la churrutaca (which I imagine are partly chosen for their sound symbolism), and, less obscenely, there's also el pringapié and el curso. (I'd say pringapié has some folksy connotations, but curso is very common, to the point of being practically a register-neutral term.)

This made me wonder if English had any such words. I don't think North American English does? But I found that people in the UK can say "the squits". Does anyone use "the trots" and does it have any vulgar or obscene connotations?
The term that comes to mind in English is the shits, which specifically is a vulgar term for diarrhea.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Doesn't the runs mean the same thing?
Ser wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 pm I was thinking about my recent mention of French la foire, a vulgar word for 'diarrhea'
IMD the word foire doesn't mean "diarrhea" at all, but mostly "a fair, a fest" (foire=fair and foire=diarrhea are apparently unrelated). Colloquially, "foire" can also mean "a mess", but I thought it was because fairs can be messy. There are derived words that are connected to this meaning: foirer = to screw up; enfoiré = bastard, asshole.

In fact, I first saw the meaning "diarrhea" when I read Gargantua by Rabelais, a 16th century novel. It was a lightbulb moment :idea: "oh, that's where enfoiré comes from!".
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Ryusenshi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:22 pmDoesn't the runs mean the same thing?
Yes, but it's not vulgar (unlike the shits), just slang.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Ser wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 pm Does anyone use "the trots" and does it have any vulgar or obscene connotations?
Yes, but it's a little archaic (as in Boomers) and only mildly vulgar
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

For St Piran's Day I memorised the lyrics to Gwenno's "Tir ha Mor" ("Land and Sea"). Words without obvious cognates in Welsh were:

howldrevel sunrise
howlsedhes sunset
efan vast
nija fly

I also didn't recognise tonsya as a cognate of Welsh dawnsio "dance".