The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
missals

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by missals »

The metathesis explanation is totally implausible. If it was metathesis of /kli/, then why didn't it produce /nukilɚ/ "noo-kee-ler"? Likely with reduction of /i/ to /ɪ/ or /ə/ "noo-kih-ler", "noo-ka-ler". One could say the /j/ in /nukjəlɚ/ is from the metathesized /i/, but why would it have been desyllabified in favor of a random schwa that appeared out of nowhere?

Moreover, why on earth would an English speaker metathesize the perfectly common English sequence /kli/ to /kil/??

The only possible explanation is analogy with the many other words (especially scientific-ish words) ending in /jəlɚ/ (especially /kjəlɚ/), like ocular, macular, spectacular, jocular, vernacular, etc., as mentioned by mae.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

mae wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 pm Why doesn't /nukliəs/ become /nukjuləs/?
Well... it does!

Indeed, when I was at school I think most of us had nuke-u-lus, even though we had nuke-lier (nuke-u-ler sounds quite American).

I'm sure the influence of other words in -cular and -culus is a factor (and, of course, 'nucular' is actually a word, and in some sense 'ought' to be the pronounciation, etymologically speaking - we're just inheriting the 'mispronounciations' of Romans); -clear doesn't have anywhere near as many parallels*. But we should also point out that several other shibboleths also involve metathesis of syllable-initial /l/ before two unstressed vowels (jewellery (/dZul@ri/ > /dZu@lri/, with for some speakers further simplification to /dZulri/) and cutlery (/kVutl@ri/ > /kVt@lri/) spring to mind). I think the oddities of syllabicity regarding /l/ may be at play here as well.

The process also works the other way around: I've certainly heard spectacular and I think vernacular with final -/li@/ instead of -/j@l@/.

*in fact, discarding** compounds (including anything with the -er morpheme), I can only find three words in its set: nuclear, cochlear/cochlea, and trochlea/trochear. Can't seem to find any parallels with /t/, /d/, /p/, /b/ or /g/, either, though I haven't searched for every possible spelling.
missals

Post by missals »

Salmoneus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 amBut we should also point out that several other shibboleths also involve metathesis of syllable-initial /l/ before two unstressed vowels (jewellery (/dZul@ri/ > /dZu@lri/, with for some speakers further simplification to /dZulri/)
Wrong way around - the historic, standard pronunciation is /dʒuəlri/, while /dʒuləri/is the stigmatized pronunciation.

/dʒulri/ could be the result of the monosyllabic pronunciation of jewel - /dʒul/ + /ri/, or the disyllabic pronunciation /dʒu.əl/ + /ri/ giving /dʒuəlri/ followed by the deletion of the unstressed schwa, or the result of schwa deletion from the stigmatized /dʒuləri/.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Citation needed.

The elliptical form may be higher-status today, but it descends from the longer form (which remains the more productive suffix in general). I think you'd find it hard to prove that the shorter, book-learnèd form had ever actually extinguished the longer, popular form.

[another example: burglary, a mispronunciation so common that we even get the basic verb from it]

Although I'll admit that the -ery/-ry ambivalence adds a wrinkle to those examples that I hadn't originally considered.
jal

Post by jal »

Salmoneus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:00 amThe elliptical form may be higher-status today, but it descends from the longer form
Although it's difficult to interpret without pronunciation information, the Etymonline entry seems to point to an origin that had indeed the /dʒuəlri/ pronunciation (or /dʒuəlriə/ or whatever -rye is supposed to be pronounced).

JAL
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

I wonder how do you pronounce my profile name. I pronounce it: [xʷtɛ̀k]
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Xwtek wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 am I wonder how do you pronounce my profile name. I pronounce it: [xʷtɛ̀k]
Exactly as I clicked on the thread to check your comment, I wondered if it was supposed to be something like [xɯ.tek].
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Xwtek wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 am I wonder how do you pronounce my profile name. I pronounce it: [xʷtɛ̀k]
I pronounce it [hwəˈtʰɜʔk] or if I am trying hard [xwəˈtʰɜʔk].
Last edited by Travis B. on Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
jal

Post by jal »

[ksw.tek]

JAL
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Rojava

Not having heard it pronounced before, I guessed [roˈʒɑvɑ].
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Thats a tough one. My first hunch is that it looks like a name from India, but most people seem to pronounce <v> as /v/ so I would too even though in my mind I'd be thinking of it as /ro'dʒa.wa/. Somewhat less likely, it could be a Spanish name, and then Id be totally off, but once I'd learned that I'd go with my American High School Spanish accent and say /ro'ha.bə/. That is, Spanish readings for the letters but normalized to English phonotactics.

btw, anyone here say Wikipedia with an /i/ in the first syllable? I used to, but corrected myself to using /ɪ/ around 2008 since I couldnt find anyone else saying it my way. My dad is the only one I know who says it with /i/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

My anglicization is [ʁʷoˈhaːvə(ː)].
Last edited by Travis B. on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

[ɑˈkɑŋka]
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

ask
literally (my daughter gets this one down to two syllables)
Last edited by Travis B. on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:48 am Rojava
/ˌrəwˈdʒɑvə/, although the actual pronunciation is apparently /roʒɑˈvɑ/

imo proper nouns should in the absence of well-known rules be pronounced however will maximize recognition
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
dhok

Post by dhok »

Rojava tips off my Spanish-dar even though I should know better: mentally, I can't help but think [ɹoʊ'hɑvə].
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Xwtek wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 amI wonder how do you pronounce my profile name. I pronounce it: [xʷtɛ̀k]
[xuˈtek] ([x] is a soft velar fricative, as in Russian or Mexican Spanish, while [e] just has its Spanish value, surely higher than your [ɛ]).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

dhok wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:59 pm Rojava tips off my Spanish-dar even though I should know better: mentally, I can't help but think [ɹoʊ'hɑvə].
So I'm not the only one whose Spanish-dar is triggered by this word...
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Interesting how this provides evidence for the hypothesis I read 20 years ago (and wish I could find again) that the default foreign language for English-speakers is shifting from French to Spanish.

(Another recent data point is a server's attempt to correct my pronunciation of mujaddara, a Middle Eastern lentil dish, to /mu:həˈdɑrə/.)
dhok

Post by dhok »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:39 am Interesting how this provides evidence for the hypothesis I read 20 years ago (and wish I could find again) that the default foreign language for English-speakers is shifting from French to Spanish.

(Another recent data point is a server's attempt to correct my pronunciation of mujaddara, a Middle Eastern lentil dish, to /mu:həˈdɑrə/.)
This may not have spread everywhere: I vividly recall going to a Mexican restaurant in a rural area of southern Virginia as a tween and overhearing somebody ordering [fə'dʒiɾəs]. But that was over a decade ago.