Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
dhok

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by dhok »

I have a date on Wednesday. She's Bavarian and doing her master's in ancient history, starting ancient Greek this term. We met at a housing complex party at which I was fairly inebriated and speaking rather poor German, but somehow I impressed her and we'll be going to a cute little coffee shop near the university after my German course wraps up.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nice.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Remember the article I mentioned earlier? It's now online.

Also, the job interview I had on Friday went well, as did the trip to Leeds. I actually rather like Leeds, and I can see myself being quite happy there. Group also gave me good vibes (and no big warning sirens), so we'll see if I get the position (and what happens to the application for the position here in the Grand Duchy)...
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Congratulations! :)
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

vampireshark wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:52 pm Remember the article I mentioned earlier? It's now online.

Also, the job interview I had on Friday went well, as did the trip to Leeds. I actually rather like Leeds, and I can see myself being quite happy there. Group also gave me good vibes (and no big warning sirens), so we'll see if I get the position (and what happens to the application for the position here in the Grand Duchy)...
I've friends in Leeds, and been there a few times - not enough to know the place, but enough to know that it's one of the nicest places up north. At least, it has very nice parts, and the less nice parts don't look too bad, relatively speaking. It helps, I think, that it has some terrain, and it has lots of old housing stock.

Plus, houses there are insanely cheap, at least compared to the south.
dhok

Post by dhok »

dhok wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:06 pm I have a date on Wednesday. She's Bavarian and doing her master's in ancient history, starting ancient Greek this term. We met at a housing complex party at which I was fairly inebriated and speaking rather poor German, but somehow I impressed her and we'll be going to a cute little coffee shop near the university after my German course wraps up.
Well, that went very well, and we have a second date rock-climbing tomorrow morning before I have class. She's vegetarian (which is fine though I'll have to find new recipes to cook, since my go-to is a puttanesca with anchovies) and has five siblings and is from the Bavarian countryside (devoutly Catholic? I'm sure she'd have brought it up). She seems eminently normal but not A Normie, which is good. Broadly, she seems to have enjoyed the evening and to like me, and as somebody who is used to liking women more than they like me, that's good.

I am once again reminded why I generally don't drink coffee at five in the afternoon, though--went to sleep with some melatonin at 9:30, woke up at 1:15 and couldn't get back to sleep until about 4:30 or 5, then woke up at 7.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

dhok wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 am
dhok wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:06 pm I have a date on Wednesday. She's Bavarian and doing her master's in ancient history, starting ancient Greek this term. We met at a housing complex party at which I was fairly inebriated and speaking rather poor German, but somehow I impressed her and we'll be going to a cute little coffee shop near the university after my German course wraps up.
Well, that went very well, and we have a second date rock-climbing tomorrow morning before I have class. She's vegetarian (which is fine though I'll have to find new recipes to cook, since my go-to is a puttanesca with anchovies) and has five siblings and is from the Bavarian countryside (devoutly Catholic? I'm sure she'd have brought it up). She seems eminently normal but not A Normie, which is good. Broadly, she seems to have enjoyed the evening and to like me, and as somebody who is used to liking women more than they like me, that's good.
Nice, and good luck with the second date!
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

My master's thesis has been accepted!! :D
Graduation day is next week. :mrgreen:
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Congratulations! :D
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

My brother’s funeral went smoothly. We all got through our speeches without losing it and turnout was great. I was really touched by how many folks drove for miles just to be there.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Ryusenshi wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:11 am My master's thesis has been accepted!! :D
Graduation day is next week. :mrgreen:
Congratulations! What did you write about?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Vijay wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am Congratulations! :D
Congratulations!
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:58 am Congratulations! What did you write about?
Sorry, this is a bit confidential. It was closer to an internship report than a thesis, really.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

My latest Debian apt upgrade fixed the power management issues I was having, so now I can hibernate or suspend my machine without the machine failing in some fashion and needing to be force-shut down half the time. The only downside is that apt upgrade broke gdm3 - but at least lightdm seems to function properly now, where last time I used it had problems, so I am using that instead.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Passed my Ph.D. defense today. Feels strange, but mostly like a wave of relief.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

vampireshark wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:55 pm Passed my Ph.D. defense today. Feels strange, but mostly like a wave of relief.
Congratulations!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I got to see Randall Munroe live! It was a generally nice event, if perhaps a bit short - he was talking about his latest book and some other things. The trip to Berlin and back was a bit stressful and at times annoying, but not bad enough to put this into the Contradictory Feelings Thread.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I got a compensation of € 7.50 for the fact that my train was late two weeks ago! Hurrah!
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

I found a used Gibson SG for 200€. I couldn't believe the price when I saw it: they usually sell for twice, if not three times this amount. Of course it's grubby, badly set-up and the strings are dead, but a couple hours of work should be enough to correct that.