Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Random Thread

Post by Travis B. »

Opinion question for those of you who are programmers:

I have implemented an object-orientation layer for my Forth implementation. Currently to simplify things classes are simply classes. However, I could implement a metaclass mechanism so that classes are instances of a metaclass. The thing, though, is I am not sure of what value this is. Currently instances of classes are referred to by a pair of two pointers, a data pointer and a class pointer, to enable referring to things not originally intended to be objects as objects (e.g. someone could create a "byte" class), while classes are referring to by a single pointer. Note that Forth, for the record, is not traditionally an OO language, even though a number of Forth implementations have optional OO layers. Also, my Forth's OO layer is not a traditional OO layer in that methods and fields exist in the scope of a normal wordlist and are not inherently tied to any given class (methods are implemented for various classes, which need not be related, and appear to the outside world like normal functions, aside from the fact that they are dispatched against the classes of their arguments, and likewise fields appear to the outside world like normal structure field definitions).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Why is it so common for computer mice to get malfunctions where they start interpreting more and more regular clicks as double clicks?
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Raphael wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:48 am Why is it so common for computer mice to get malfunctions where they start interpreting more and more regular clicks as double clicks?
I guess it depends on the exact technology involved. But two options present themselves as likely:

- if there's any sort of gunk in the mechanical clicker, then when you click, it won't release as quickly and smoothly as it's expected to, and the computer may misinterpret this as indicating a gentle second click

- if there's no gunk, the mechanical clicker itself will become tired and distressed - as it's clicked more and more often, its resistence will become less, and it'll click more easily, particularly when it's just been clicked (when it's at its most deformed and stressed). It may be that a second touch could then easily be interpreted as a second click, if it's too sensitive in that instant. In particular, I'd expect that most clicks are single clicks - usually when people click, they press, and then actively release (pull their finger back), and after the release is over, the finger will return to its neutral waiting position, which in the case of a mouse button will mean falling back onto the button, which, if it's not rigid enough, may result in a second click.

Of course, if the technology is different the answer might be different - if your 'button' is actually just inductive, for instance, then obviously mechanical levers won't be involved, but other possible errors may creep in.
dhok

Post by dhok »

I just treat computer mice as recurring medium-term expenses...about every year and a half, I have to get a new one. They're only like twenty bucks, anyways.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Year and a half?! Here, at home, I think I've had like two computer mice over my entire life. :shock:
dhok

Post by dhok »

Vijay wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm Year and a half?! Here, at home, I think I've had like two computer mice over my entire life. :shock:
I carry my laptop bag with me everywhere. They get bonked from time to time.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Ive gone through maybe about one mouse every five years or so, but thats because Im really tolerant of poor performance. Right now neither of the mice on my two computers works well .... but I lack the willpower to get a new one even though I have enough money to buy new mice for both of them.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

My dad seems to have some nice mice that last pretty long. I will admit that by contrast, the mice they gave us at work were shit.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have had one mouse fail on me - after approximately, IIRC, 13 years of use. My parents also have had one mouse fail on them, over a similar stretch of time.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Twenty dollars? That's, like, Rp.300.000,00 here. I could've bought a rice cooker here.

Also, for some reason, I get offended with Kirishima being drawn with a female OC. While I like Kirishima x Bakugou, I actually don't mind Kirishima being drawn together with another male canon character. Is this normal?
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
alice

Post by alice »

Mice are so passé. Real programmers use head-mounted pointer devices.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

alice wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 am Mice are so passé. Real programmers use head-mounted pointer devices.
What, plain old keyboard is way superior.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

There's a long article in this issue of a literary magazine in Malayalam I've been trying to read. I've been hesitant to attempt it because it's more than ten pages long and I'm a slow reader. I do intend to read it anyway, though.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Good luck!
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

I just installed Alexander Shutau's Dark Reader extension for Firefox (also available in Chrome). I'm pretty impressed by its ability to generate dark themes in websites. This is what the ZBB looks like on it:

However, it takes about 1 second to generate and apply the changes, which is noticeably slow.

If you want to use this, please note it's called "Dark Reader" and not "Dark Mode" or "Dark". "Dark Mode" and the three extensions called "Dark" in the Firefox extension site seem to be malicious copies of the original "Dark Reader"... EDIT: Actually, I don't know whether Dark Mode might be the legitimate one, noticing that the developer says they manage the Chrome one... Gawdz. Also, it appears it is overzealous in the way it works, so some websites give up on working because they notice the browser is too slow to render things. There is no way to whitelist websites so the extension doesn't apply to them either. Dark Mode has a whitelist function, but it is also stupid as it toggles dark websites to a light theme.

It'd be great if the ZBB could have an opt-in alternative dark theme...
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Islamic Jihad is attacking Israel
Luckily my family says they are safe
My mother just arrived in Israel yesterday to help take care of her father and this happens
I'm really scared and checking the news constantly

In more positive news, I filled my application to go to college for the spring semester
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 am Opinion question for those of you who are programmers:

I have implemented an object-orientation layer for my Forth implementation. Currently to simplify things classes are simply classes. However, I could implement a metaclass mechanism so that classes are instances of a metaclass. The thing, though, is I am not sure of what value this is.
I'm still trying to figure out how to actually use object-oriented programming. As in, I understand how it works, but I'm still not sure when I'm supposed to think "hey, I know how to do this thing I want to do: I should create a new class". I've heard that people who started programming with Java (where everything has to be an object) have the opposite problem when using another language: they tend to make new classes everywhere, even when it's not particularly appropriate.
mèþru wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 am Islamic Jihad is attacking Israel
Oh great, just what we needed right now.
alice

Post by alice »

Ryusenshi wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:25 pm I'm still trying to figure out how to actually use object-oriented programming. As in, I understand how it works, but I'm still not sure when I'm supposed to think "hey, I know how to do this thing I want to do: I should create a new class". I've heard that people who started programming with Java (where everything has to be an object) have the opposite problem when using another language: they tend to make new classes everywhere, even when it's not particularly appropriate.
Like much of programming, it's a matter of good taste and fine judgement, which can only be learned with practice.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Raphael wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 amGood luck!
Thanks! I started reading it a few days ago, I'm nowhere near the end, and as usual with long reading passages in Malayalam, I feel like I mostly have no idea wtf I'm reading. It's a long interview about some kind of environmental protection bill.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ryusenshi wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:25 pm
Travis B. wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 am Opinion question for those of you who are programmers:

I have implemented an object-orientation layer for my Forth implementation. Currently to simplify things classes are simply classes. However, I could implement a metaclass mechanism so that classes are instances of a metaclass. The thing, though, is I am not sure of what value this is.
I'm still trying to figure out how to actually use object-oriented programming. As in, I understand how it works, but I'm still not sure when I'm supposed to think "hey, I know how to do this thing I want to do: I should create a new class". I've heard that people who started programming with Java (where everything has to be an object) have the opposite problem when using another language: they tend to make new classes everywhere, even when it's not particularly appropriate.
I decided after all to use a metaclass mechanism for my OO layer. I am not sure if I will ever use my OO layer, particularly since it involves a good bit of overhead (due to implementing late binding), but I just had to implement one because I was bored.