URGENT REQUEST Linguistics Dissertation: British English Speakers Required

Natural languages and linguistics
thedukeofnuke

Re: URGENT REQUEST Linguistics Dissertation: British English Speakers Required

Post by thedukeofnuke »

Is this still going? I'm a Briton and native speaker, and I'd be happy to help.
Zípe zíde débazide pa nèmá iʻizazézídatagé.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

kodé wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:07 pm Good luck! I'm unfortunately a speaker of American English (US West, some Californian vowel shift), so I can't help you. Dissertating/thesisizing is terrible, so just try to get it finished and then you can breathe easy!
I know! The sooner I get my quota of people, the sooner I can crack on with the writing, the sooner I finish the writing, the sooner I get a beer. :D Thank you for your moral support.
Artlanger, Auxlanger, Linguistics graduate, Spanish: B1, Swedish: B1, Koine Greek: University Level; interests: phonology and phonetics, world Englishes, historical linguistics, curry, The Smiths.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

thedukeofnuke wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:17 am Is this still going? I'm a Briton and native speaker, and I'd be happy to help.
I absolutely do still need help! Thank you for offering. :-D I just need you to record yourself reading those sentences, answer that little bio info, and then email it to me at Bryan.Parry.16@ucl.ac.uk.

Thank you again! I am so short of participants, still, and am rapidly running out of time.
Artlanger, Auxlanger, Linguistics graduate, Spanish: B1, Swedish: B1, Koine Greek: University Level; interests: phonology and phonetics, world Englishes, historical linguistics, curry, The Smiths.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Salmoneus wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:20 pm Hey Bryan. Good to see old members popping in. [you haven't lost your postcount! It's just... been misplaced... on another board...]

I'm afraid though I prefer the sort of anonymity that doesn't involve registering my name and date of birth on file - and I'm not sure I could find my microphone in any case. But good luck with the project.

EDIT: but thanks, btw, for pointing something out to me:
More: show
sometimes it's dependent on prosodic context. I was surprised for instance to find my using the 'noun' pronounciation for the verb form of 'increase' - before I realised that if it were just "days increase" I'd 100% be using the verbal stress pattern - it's the unstressed 'can' before it that tempts (mayb 50% of the time?) the stress onto the initial syllable. I wonder whether this is part of how verbal vs nominal stress patterns developed?
Anyway, one small suggestion I'd make would be to mix up the order to make the contrasts less obvious - the order you have signposts what to pay attention to and what you're looking for (assuming you're not double-bluffing!), and even if it didn't, people can pronounce things erratically when they're conscious of close repetitions. It probably won't make a huge difference in something like this, but it's the principle of the thing!

[sorry, it's just that failure to consider ordering effects is a pet peeve when I look at experimental setups...]
Hi there, Sal, sorry, I only saw your "Edit" just now.

You make good points and I am aware of those factors. I just truly hope that, in my manic rush to get this done (I really am up against it), I am able finally to do justice to those points you mention. There are numerous contextual factors which will incline one to pronounce things one way or another, as you say, and I hope I can adequately bring all these points to bear in my argument.
finlay

Post by finlay »

It doesn't seem like there are that enough sentences to draw major conclusions, though... maybe that's just me. And I feel like you need more "dummy" or "control" sentences, ones without obvious controversial words in them.

I just sent it, anyway
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

finlay wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:52 am It doesn't seem like there are that enough sentences to draw major conclusions, though... maybe that's just me. And I feel like you need more "dummy" or "control" sentences, ones without obvious controversial words in them.

I just sent it, anyway
All will become clear in time, young Padawan. ;-D
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Bryan wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:53 pm
Jonlang wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 am I'll do it if you're still looking for participants.
Hi Jon! I'd love for you to take part. Please, fire away! :D
I'll try to get it done this week. I'm off work for a week but I'm still pretty busy trying to get a mortgage sorted, so hopefully I'll find some time to get this done.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jonlang wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 am
Jonlang wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 am I'll do it if you're still looking for participants.
I'll try to get it done this week. I'm off work for a week but I'm still pretty busy trying to get a mortgage sorted, so hopefully I'll find some time to get this done.
Hi there! If you could, that would be really amazing of you. I do know all about that mortgage malarkey, tho, so it's understandable if you can't. No worries. :-)
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Bryan wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:05 pm
Jonlang wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 am

Hi there! If you could, that would be really amazing of you. I do know all about that mortgage malarkey, tho, so it's understandable if you can't. No worries. :-)
Am I too late, or should I still do it?
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social