Lexicon Building

Conworlds and conlangs
Yalensky

Re: Lexicon Building

Post by Yalensky »

din wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:55 pm next: card
Keševan verča 'card', from a root meaning 'turn (over)', and also meaning 'page (of a book)'. You can disambiguate the two meanings with adjectives and compounds: e.g. a playing card can be called an igla verča (< igze 'play a game'). I imagine book pages are the primary sense of the word, extended then to playing cards because they come in a deck and are turned over like pages, and then to other sorts of cards.

next: to blame
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Yalensky wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:59 pmnext: to blame
Iliaqu:

mogua : to blame
From moga "to be guilty" or "to be at fault" + the causative infix -u-.

Next: pungent
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Imralu wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:27 pm Next: pungent
Keševan naum 'pungent, acrid' (of smells), 'spicy, hot' (of tastes), borrowed from the Calintese verbal naùmmi '(be) striking, forceful, violent'. This is in turn from Proto-as-of-yet-unnamed-lang *nāk-m-, the root meaning 'hit, strike' with a verbal suffix. Cognate to Calintese naùxi 'hit, strike'. Also related to Keševan naušfa 'moment, instant', borrowed from a derivation of the same root.

next: surpass, exceed
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Yalensky wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:11 am next: surpass, exceed
Kroldishtani: biföd- “surpass, exceed, do better than” (from *bi- “better” + *fawd “run”)
Jaščini: bifawd-
Favjeni: biffedh-

Kroldishtani: rokhed- “surpass, go beyond what is necessary, overdo” (from *ru- “beyond” + *khayd “succeed”)
Jaščini: rukhayd-
Favjeni: ruheidh-

Next: brass
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Pedant wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:28 pm Next: brass
Keševan tinga [ˈtẽn.ga] 'brass', from Rasal tinaga, straighforwardly a nominalization of a verb meaning 'gleam, shine'.

Calintese daristina 'brass', from the verbal adjective daristi 'be golden in color'.

Mejaguese pigmačö < 'yellow' + 'copper'

next: law
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yalensky wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:32 am next: law
Im out of practice, so Im just going to give a basic reply.

Poswa:
Ive got three words all glossed as "law, regulation", so what Im doing here isnt so much adding a word to my lexicon as figuring out how to more narrowly define the scope of the words I have. The words are wipat, tudžu, and wettia.

Of these, tudžu is the only one that goes back to an atomic root in the parent language (Play), so it should probably have the most basic meaning of the three. The Play root was /tuŋu/.

Play isnt going to be any help with the other words, because they are historically compounds of fip tuŋu and fip fatu, and those words were *already* semantically merged even in Play. (/fip/ meant "head, intelligence".)

Even scholars arent necessarily going to notice that /-tia/ and /tudžu/ are the same morpheme, so I have no reason to make those two words especially close semantically. For now, .... and this is tentative .... I will make the fundamental distinction be between written law deriving from the legislature (which is not based on their religion) and private regulations such as a corporation, which can be based on religious scripture. And if I need a word that specifically means a religious law, i.e. a commandment, I will just use tudžu since context will disambiguate. Though I suppose I could create yet another word, santia "temple law". For now, I'll decide the words to be

tudžu a law in general; a religious moral obligation
wettia a law, rule, or regulation created by a person unconnected with the government; an item from a company's code of conduct
wipat a law created by the legislature and enforced by the police
santia a specifically religious moral obligation

All of these refer to law as a countable noun, i.e. "a law". There wouldnt likely be an uncountable version of the noun corresponding to English "the law" because Poswa handles that either by pluralization or by context. I used to have a word pistientam "legislature" but I must have discovered a corrupt etymology because it's not in my dictionary anymore.

Pabappa's cognates of the first three words above are respectively tubu, wetop, and wipti tubu. That is, the third one coalesced with an unrelated word and had to be repaired by adding /tubu/ to it. I dont know yet what the semantic distinctions among these three words will be, but the two languages have been apart for 3,200 years so there's no reason to believe they will even be close to Poswa's.

next: to chew, eat slowly
masako

Post by masako »

Pabappa wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:29 pm next: to chew, eat slowly
Kala:

yatsi - bite; chew; tooth

Adding the progressive aspect -nko would give the analogical meaning "eating slowly"

taku nayo ke tiya yatsinkoye
brother 1s.GEN O bread chew-PROG-PST
My brother was eating the bread slowly.

next: to dodge; to duck out of the way
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:32 pm next: to dodge; to duck out of the way
Keševan arvertse, arvertu 'dodge, duck away from, narrowly avoid' (the principal parts are inf and 3s present). Morphemically breaks down as 'away-turn'.

next: important
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Yalensky wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:38 amnext: important
PSTK *ⁿgɾim D xuln C → STK gyāynhiúrn /ɟãi̯ D1 i̯uɹn C1/
→ Mȕy Bǎȍn dialect [ɟã ˦˥ i̯uɹn ˨˩˨]
→ Ngùynâ dialect [dʒãi̯ ˨˩˨ i̯uɹn ˦˥]
→ Nǐkyúwār dialect [ɟũi̯ ˥˧ i̯uɹn ˦˥]

Next: meddlesome
masako

Post by masako »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:36 pmnext: meddlesome
Kala:

kinyonko - involved, interfering, meddling

next: fierce; ferocious
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

masako wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:52 pm next: fierce; ferocious
Poswa:

pwimme, verbal stem pwimimbi-, "dangerous, perilous". Etymologically means "cleaning with a sword".
sapa, verbal stem sap-, "strong and invincible". Apparently from a word meaning medicine; I think this word would tend to be used in a positive sense since words for medicine and for fire beginning with the same stem exist.
kaes, verbal stem kaš- "having sharp parts". Said of animals, and the language's closest equivalent of English "fierce, ferocious". Poswa has very few words with /k/, so when they do get used, people pay attention. However, when used literally, this word is usually preceded by a word for a body part, such as pappo "teeth, fangs", and this will cause the /k/ to disappear; the compound of /pappo/ and /kaes/ is pappwaes.

There is also a suffix -ato ~ -oto meaning "that which I turn away from", which can either refer to something or someone who is disliked (because the speaker does not want to see them) or something that is feared (because the speaker is running away). Thus one can say lappwapi for "cougar" but a cougar that is on the prowl may be lappwapwoto. This usually needs a further suffix such as /-s/ or /-mb-V/ to be the subject of a sentence:

Šeppwub! Lappwapwotombo puppambažo!
Help! A cougar is chasing me!

Pabappa:
Pabappa has ordinary words for dangerous things but like Poswa, also can use suffixes. In this case, Pabappa distinguishes between something that is hated (-atsa) and something that is feared (-ata or V-la). The word for cougar is salpita, and the cougar in the example above might be salpitata. Unlike Poswa, there is no need for any extra inflections of any kind to use a noun like this in a sentence. A camper caught by surprise in the woods might say

Pubu! Salpitatau mampenia!
Where the -u is the 1st person accusative pronoun in clitic form.

next: stream, brook; isolated water habitat; water not connected to the ocean
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Pabappa wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:29 pmnext: stream, brook; isolated water habitat; water not connected to the ocean
Iliaqu:

muana (v) flow; be a stream/brook/creek/river
muanaiti (v) flow; be a brook/stream/creek (iti (v) be small)
muanamba (v) flow; be a river (-mbV (d) augmentative suffix)

jebe (v) be a lake/billabong (non-flowing body of freshwater)

Next: to introspect
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Imralu wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:55 am Next: to introspect
CT kîðen uʕú tëkïð ü 'introspect, self-reflect' (lit. 'look inside the self')

Next: throat-singing
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Man in Space wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:56 pm Next: throat-singing
Old Albic léalara 'overtone singing', lit. 'spirit song'

Next: barnacle
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:17 pm
Next: barnacle
Tapilula: mfòndu
Proto-Andanic: mùdu
Proto-Fern: mùdu
Proto-Dreamlandic: miuntu
A-F Middle Area: mùdu
Old Andanese: mùtu
Star Empire Amade: mùdu
Gold: dʷŭga
Proto-Oyster: mùdu
Pabahais: bùn̄u
SW Tip: bùn̄u
Baywatch: muntu
Galà: komùdu
Proto-Moonshine: loga
Dolphin Rider: moru
Late Andanese: sutulipu
Play: tupa
Playwatch: ũtu
Leaper: lŏga
Poswa: bupapa
Pabappa: portap

whoo.

I didnt make these all up from scratch per se, but they are all new creations apart from Play and Poswa. (Pabappa is new.) All of these words are cognates in some form .... yes, every one .... though there's been a lot of additions of new morphemes and changing of classifiers.

These are in chronological order, not by geography, so the words gradually get more divergent towards the bottom of the list. Baywatch is thus very conservative, as in 3400 years it has just done /mfòndo/ > /muntu/, while in roughly the same period of time, proto-Moosnhine is already at /loga/. Poswa and Pabappa are spoken 4,500 years later than Play, which is why they are so far off from everything else ... Poswa is actually quite conservative too, but it has a much longer evolution time. The reflex of the original /mfòndo/ in Poswa is just the first /p/, and in Pabappa it is half of the /r/.
_____

next: vase, flowerpot
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Pabappa wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:01 pm next: vase, flowerpot
Keševan nilaš 'vase', morphemically a 'flower container'

next: comprehensive, thorough
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Yalensky wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:15 amnext: comprehensive, thorough
Iliaqu:

zueva (v) be comprehensive, thorough (from zue "look for, search" + va "be all")

Next: to multitask
________
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Imralu wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:34 am
Next: to multitask
Poswa:

The best translation is probably sifas peppi , "(to do) by groups, at one's time". Yes, "one's", not "one", meaning that this verb requires person marking on both words:

Sifos peppežo. "I'm multitasking." and so forth, where /o/ marks 1st person. This means it's a verb, and therefore takes /-s/ to show that it's a serial verb.

This idiom came about through coalescence of the Play word for "same" with that of the 1st person possessive marker, which then spread by analogy to 2nd and 3rd person.

Most of the time, Poswa turns English idioms into single words, but this time it's the other way around. Poswa certainly *could* come up with a one-word translation for this, perhaps just sipapeppi (sic) by removing the person marker on the first word, but Ive been trying to avoid noun-noun compounds lately because the mandatory word-initial stress means that the most semantically important part of the word is the least phonologically salient. By separating them, I ensure that both words are equally stressed.

Pabappa:
This one is a bit more difficult. Because they are in contact with Poswobs, Pabappa might just calque the Poswa idiom as
Pepepa blesil , "(at a) time, (do) by groups". There is no person marker on either word because Pabappa does not have words that can be inalienable either as nouns or verbs. Neither is there an -s to indicate "while; during", because Pabappa has lost this affix and therefore just places the word in the phrase unadorned.

But that idiom only works if Poswa influence is assumed. A native construction would have no idiom, and would separate the words individually, giving such as

Pepepa tuba pummos, blesil. "During the same time, (to do) by groups".

Post by masako »

Pabappa wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:02 pm next: to burrow, dig to store or retrieve food
Kala:

kuali - drill; bore; dig into
miya - core; pit; stone; dig out the center
holo - dig; excavate; scoop out

next: to accelerate; to speed up
Esneirra973

Post by Esneirra973 »

masako wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:27 pm next: to accelerate; to speed up
Salibian yaṣṣelera /jasˤsˤɪlɪɾa/ "to accelerate, speed up" - from Classical Latin accelerāre "to hasten, quicken, speed up"

Ex. El-syâra baṣṣelera. "The car accelerates."

next: to speculate, to hypothesize
Llazmacnazion intenna delment mijo tán wanimma.
DEF.FP-machination inner-FEM of-DEF.MS-mind 1S.POSS-MASC be.PRES.IND.PLU INDEF.FS-enigma
Llaz-macnazion intenna de-llo-ment mijo tán wa-enimma