The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Kuchigakatai

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:58 pmThese are actually the preferred pronunciations IMD as well. I generally have [ɑ] before coda /l/, but somehow it sounds a little affected here.
Travis B. wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:08 pm
Only /ˈtælmʊd~ˈtælməd/ for me, a Brit.
These are my pronunciations too, and I am an American.
As I mentioned, various dictionaries list these words with either /æ/ or /ɑ/, but it sounds like the two of you prefer the nativized pronunciation in this case...

At any rate, I think I'm going to go ahead and align Wiktionary with what dictionaries typically have regarding the sound represented by <u>.

New question, for our Australians here (bradrn and whoever else may be reading):

Australian English underwent some weird /æ/ vs. /æː/ split (trap/lad/had vs. bad/sad/mad). However, it appears that no dictionary has ever been published that makes the distinction. Even linguistics books and papers discussing Australian English in general tend to simply not mention the distinction at all, giving a low vowel phonemic inventory of /æ ɐ ɐː/ (TRAP, STRUT, PALM/BATH/START, although the BATH set doesn't include /nC/ words, for example "example", "plant", "dance", which have /æ/).

Is the distinction real? And if it is, could you give me a nice sample list of words with /æ/ and /æː/? I'd like to ask for around 60 words for each of the two phonemes (ideally more...), but if that's too much, then please post whatever you feel like giving.

You can have a look at the /æ/ rhyme section on Wiktionary for inspiration. I'd love to have both short Germanic roots, and Latinate words like "satisfy", "academy", "parabola", "abbot", "panic", "natural", "magic(al)", "apparatus",
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ser wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 am New question, for our Australians here (bradrn and whoever else may be reading):
Weell, I’ve lived in Australia for the vast majority of my life, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I speak Australian English (everyone tells me I sound South African). But I can certainly try answer your question!
Australian English underwent some weird /æ/ vs. /æː/ split (trap/lad/had vs. bad/sad/mad).
From what I can tell, I think I have /æː/ in lad (though the other words are as you say).
However, it appears that no dictionary has ever been published that makes the distinction. Even linguistics books and papers discussing Australian English in general tend to simply not mention the distinction at all, giving a low vowel phonemic inventory of /æ ɐ ɐː/ (TRAP, STRUT, PALM/BATH/START, although the BATH set doesn't include /nC/ words, for example "example", "plant", "dance", which have /æ/).

Is the distinction real?
For me, it’s definitely a ‘real’ distinction, in that I can notice it if I’m concentrating, and it sounds weird if I hear someone substitute /æ/ for /æː/ (or vice versa). But it’s practically non-phonemic: Wikipedia lists Manning/manning, banned/band, can/can, planet/plan it as minimal pairs, but many of those are clearly marginal examples, and I think it’s safe to say that the functional load of this distinction is less than that of the /ʃ/–/ʒ/ or /θ/–/ð/ distinctions.
And if it is, could you give me a nice sample list of words with /æ/ and /æː/? I'd like to ask for around 60 words for each of the two phonemes (ideally more...), but if that's too much, then please post whatever you feel like giving.

You can have a look at the /æ/ rhyme section on Wiktionary for inspiration. I'd love to have both short Germanic roots, and Latinate words like "satisfy", "academy", "parabola", "abbot", "panic", "natural", "magic(al)", "apparatus",
With /æ/: tablet, fabric, batch, match(ed), magma, back, fax, act, nostalgia, talc, enthalpic, calcite, damn(ed), amp, stamped, ban, bang(s), bank(ed), financial, gantry, cap, apt, gas, bash, smashed, bat(s), maths, gather, have, has, plasma, satisfy, academy, academic, parabola/ic, abbot, panic, natural, magic(al), apparatus.

And with /æː/: cab, stabbed, add, bag(s), dam(med), band, thank(s), bad, jazz

(And I’m unsure about amber and badge, though I suspect they have /æː/.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Darren

Post by Darren »

Ser wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 am New question, for our Australians here (bradrn and whoever else may be reading):

Australian English underwent some weird /æ/ vs. /æː/ split (trap/lad/had vs. bad/sad/mad). However, it appears that no dictionary has ever been published that makes the distinction. Even linguistics books and papers discussing Australian English in general tend to simply not mention the distinction at all, giving a low vowel phonemic inventory of /æ ɐ ɐː/ (TRAP, STRUT, PALM/BATH/START, although the BATH set doesn't include /nC/ words, for example "example", "plant", "dance", which have /æ/).

Is the distinction real? And if it is, could you give me a nice sample list of words with /æ/ and /æː/? I'd like to ask for around 60 words for each of the two phonemes (ideally more...), but if that's too much, then please post whatever you feel like giving.
I speak Australian English, with a definite length distinction on /æ/ which is somewhat predictable but with at few minimal pairs (can vs. can), but like bradrn it's not as easy for me to distinguish them as other short/long pairs. I agree that I've never seen it addressed really and I didn't even realise it was a recognised thing until a few years ago. I often think about it in my free time because it's one of the most interesting parts of my dialect, and I'm relatively sure that it's generally /æː/ in a closed syllable before a voiced nasal or plosive and /æ/ otherwise, with a number of exceptions. For me, /nC/ are mostly /ɐː/ (/əgˈzɐːmpʰᵊl pʰlɐːnt daːns/) which is very distinctive to South Australia, and I don't think I have any BATH vowels as /æ(ː)/. Words which do have /æNC/ are mostly long /æː/ if the C is voiced (sand, band) and variable if the C is voiceless (lamp, ant could be either; rank, sank always short). A couple of other (near-) minimal pairs are:

Manning/manning [ˈmænɪŋ], [ˈmæːnɪŋ]
planet/plan it [pʰl̥ænət] vs. [pʰl̥æːn ət]
Madden (name)/maden [ˈmædᵊn] vs. [mæːdᵊn]
maybe an/Anne [æn] vs. [æːn]
damnit/damn it [ˈdæmɪt] vs. [ˈdæːmɪt] (pretty shaky one)
champ (verb)/champ (noun) [ˈtʃʰæmp] vs. [ˈtʃʰæːmp]

and a couple of others with the long version mostly coming from a verb with a suffix; can and an/Anne are stress-related probably. But banned/band are both [bæːnd] for some reason.

Also common words especially verbs like have, had, am, can are all short [hæv~hæf, hæd, æm, kʰæn].

"satisfy", "academy", "parabola", "abbot", "panic", "natural", "magic(al)", "apparatus" are all short [ˈsæ(d~ɾ)əsfɑe̯, əˈkxæ(d~ɾ)əmɪi̯, ˈæbət, ˈpænək, ˈnæʈʂɻəɫ, ˈmædʒəkxəɫ, ˌæpəˈɻʷɐː(d~ɾ)əs]

A shit ton of examples (sorry for the size of this post but I got carried away)

æ + voiced plosive
1. Closed syllable → long
cab, crab, slab, dab, jab, tab, scab, chad, mad, sad, bag, brag, drag, gag, swag, wag
2. Closed syllable → definitely short
add, dad, lad, had
3. Closed syllable → hard to tell
jab, Chad (country), Brad, plaid
4. Open syllable → short
haggle, wagon, dagger, baggy, waggle, Maggy, Madden, astraddle, Adelaide, sporadic, shadow, laddie, caddie, abbey, syllabic, cabin, habit, scabbard, abbot, yabby, babbler
5. Open syllable → long
lagging, sagging, bragger, swagger, diagonal, sadden, gladden, stabbing, grabbing
6. Open syllable → hard to tell
padding, flabby, cladding

Basically all closed syllables are long apart from a few verbs, names and lad; open syllables deriving from words with closed syllables long but otherwise open syllables short. The hard to tell ones for open syllables are I think somewhere between a derived word and a separate root; flabby is flab-by, but flab itself is quite rare; padding and cladding are semantically more than just derived forms of pad and clad.

æ + voiced affricate
1. Closed syllable → short
badge, cadge, vag
2. Open syllable → short
agile, fragile, badger, magic, tragic, gadget

Weirdly, these act differently to plosives and there are no /æːdʒ/ rhymes that I can think of; in this case they act more like fricatives.

æ + voiceless plosive or affricate
app, chap, clap, gap, lap, map, unstrap, at, bat, cat, that, sat, aristocrat [əˈɻʷistəˌkxɻʷæt], sack, slack, armagnac, batch, scratch, match
2. Open syllable → short
happen, dapper, happy, wrapping, matter, battle, pattern, attic, batting, bracken, bracket, satchel, hatchet, macho

All short

æ + single nasal and no plosive
cam, clam, damn, spam, lamb, slam, Anne, man, Stan, Japan, pecan [ˈpʰɪi̯ˌkxæːn]
2. Closed syllable → short
am, an, than, began, outran, bang, brang, dang, fang, hang, Yang
3. Open syllable → long
spammer, scammer, hammy, tanner, plan it, span it, spam it, canning
4. Open syllable → short
damnit, gamma, camel, scamel, Tamil, gammon, famine, hammer, glamour, grammar, Tammy, Islamic (but Islam [ˈiz.ˌlɐːm]), panoramic, bandanna, savannah, flannel, panel, channel, cannon, manner, nanny, uncanny, Hispanic, manic, tannic, cyanic, Nathaniel, granite, Janet, gannet, Spanish, vanish, tangy, hangar, hanging

The short closed syllables am, an, than are stress-related probably; everything ending in -æŋ is short and for some reason iambs ending in -æn are short too. The same thing with the long open syllables applies as for voiced plosives

æ + single approximant and no plosive or fricative
shall, pal, canal, as, jazz, have, gas, morass, ash, clash, smash, unlash, ashen, smashing, gaffe
2. Open syllable → short
Allen, gallon, valour, talent, Italian, palate, marry, Larry, Darren, pizazz, gather, dazzle, gravel, travel, alas, vassal, sassy, clasic, assassin, facet, telepathic, raffle, traffic

All short, no exceptions that I can think of

æ + nasal cluster
damned, slammed, champ (noun), rams, band, banned, hand, planned, trans, handle, Icelandic, brandish
2. Closed syllable → short
champ (verb), stamp, tramp, flange, blank, wank, Manx, romance, Penzance, cant (without the ‘), damper, scamper, hamper, ample, trample, mantle, angle, mango, Angus
3. Closed syllable → hard to tell
lamp, stamp, ant, banter

For some reason -ændʒ and -æŋg– are short too. Otherwise a voiced consonant following the N is more likely to give a long /æː/.

æ + fricative/approximant cluster
lambast, plastic, asp, aspic, calque, talc

That's way more than I set out to do but it was too fun to stop.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

What about recuperate? Really just interested in whether or not you have /j/ ... it seems to be one of the few words that in AmEng at least has just a bare /u/, but I just heard someone say "re-kyoo-perate" on a podcast. He is technically an immigrant but he speaks with a flawless American accent except for a few words like this.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I don’t believe that’s a word I’ve ever needed to say, but in my head I’ve always pronounced it as [ɻʷəˈk̟ʰʉːpʰəɻʷæ͡itˢ].

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have and have always heard /riˈkupəˌreɪt/~/rəˈkupəˌreɪt/.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Darren wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 amThat's way more than I set out to do but it was too fun to stop.
It was very interesting. I never realised this distinction existed either!
Pabappa wrote:What about recuperate? Really just interested in whether or not you have /j/ ...
I don't know anyone who has /j/ in recuperate. It definitely smacks of the kind of error I'd expect from an L2 speaker.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:00 pm
Darren wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 amThat's way more than I set out to do but it was too fun to stop.
It was very interesting. I never realised this distinction existed either!
I had heard of it, but I had never had an idea of which words went in which set, but rather just the idea that the distinction existed.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:00 pm
Pabappa wrote:What about recuperate? Really just interested in whether or not you have /j/ ...
I don't know anyone who has /j/ in recuperate. It definitely smacks of the kind of error I'd expect from an L2 speaker.
It feels like a spelling pronunciation to me, from someone who has never actually heard the word.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

What about mall? I was just talking to someone who pronounced it with /æ~ɛ/, which is something I haven’t heard before.

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

bradrn wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:37 am What about mall? I was just talking to someone who pronounced it with /æ~ɛ/, which is something I haven’t heard before.
Only in “Pall Mall”.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

"naïve", "naïvety", "naïveté"

Some dictionaries give /nɑˈiv/, the pronunciation I'm used to, but others give /naɪˈiv/ (southern England /naɪˈiːv/). What do you think?

@bradrn and Darren: thank you for your replies about Australian English /æ:/, I'll write a longer reply some time later.
Last edited by Kuchigakatai on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ser wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 pm "naïve", "naïvety", "naïveté"

Some dictionaries give /nɑˈiv/, the pronunciation I'm used to, but others give /naɪˈiv/ (southern England /naɪˈiːv/). What do you think?
[nɐˑˈiːv] for the first (possibly [nɐɪ̆ˈiːv] with a bit of backwards assimilation), [nɐˑˈiːvətˢiː] for the second, and I’ve never had a clue how I’m supposed to pronounce the third. (Up till now, I honestly thought that "naïvety" and "naïveté" meant the same thing!)

EDIT: Well, checking dictionary.com, it appears that "naïvety" and "naïveté" are different spellings for the same thing:
dictionary.com wrote: naivety or na·ïve·ty / nɑˈiv ti, -ˈi və- /
noun, plural na·ive·ties.
1. naiveté.

KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Ser wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 pmsouthern England /naɪˈiːv/
That's the pronunciation I have. As for "naiveté", /naɪˈiːvəˌtɛɪ/. /-tiː/ (as in "naivety") would sound weird.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

J. C. Wells's Longman Pronunciation Dictionary gives /aɪ/, listing /ɑː/ as a variant (common, but not a fully alternative pronunciation). He doesn't give them any regional markers, but I have the feeling /aɪ/ might turn out to be what is used in England, while Canada and the US (and apparently Australia as bradrn shows) might prefer /ɑ(ː)/. I should note Wells was from England too. I don't really know though.

EDIT: Hmph. Someone elsewhere, from California, without knowing about what Wells says, thinks /aɪ/ is indeed more common...
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ser wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 pm "naïve", "naïvety", "naïveté"
/naɪˈiv/, /naɪˈivəˌti/, /naɪˈivəˌti/ (/naɪˈivəˌteɪ/ if I feel like affecting it), and I'm a Wisconsinite.

I don't think that /ɑi/ is possible in my dialect, and [ai] (not [ae] or [əe], from /aɪ/) only occurs IMD as a result of intervocalic elisions.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

I also have /naɪˈiːv/.

/nɑːˈiːv/ would presumably be subject to intrusive r in non-rhotic BrE, giving a very alien feeling [nɑːɹˈiːv]; has anyone encountered that?
jal

Post by jal »

Ser wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 pmI should note Wells was from England too.
Wells is still from England, he lives in Wimbledon, London :).

JAL
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

anteallach wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 am I also have /naɪˈiːv/.

/nɑːˈiːv/ would presumably be subject to intrusive r in non-rhotic BrE, giving a very alien feeling [nɑːɹˈiːv]; has anyone encountered that?
I think intrusive 'r' is restricted to morpheme boundaries. Do you have examples of it within morphemes?
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

/na(j)iv/ /naɪ.ɛvɪti/ /-teɪ/

Not sure where that /ɛ/ comes from…