Invented Language Database

Conworlds and conlangs
Vardelm

Re: Invented Language Database

Post by Vardelm »

Qwynegold wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 pm What is gel though?
https://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/gel wrote:
gel /ˈʤɛl/ verb
gels; gelled; gelling

Learner's definition of GEL

1 [no object] : to change into a gel : to change into a thick substance that is like jelly
The mixture will gel as it cools.

2 [no object] : to become clear and definite : jell
Our plans are finally starting to gel.

3 [+ object] : to style (hair) with gel
She gelled her hair.
Alternate spelling is "jell" as in "jell-o", so maybe I should have used that? Basically, I mean when the language starts to feel like a coherent whole rather than just a random set of features. Not that it matters much since that post was about 99% jest. :)
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Aha, I've never encountered this usage before, in any spelling.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Qwynegold wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:18 pm Aha, I've never encountered this usage before, in any spelling.
I'm happy to contribute to today's episode of "Weird American Idioms". :D
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Qwynegold wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 pm lol

What is gel though?
I’m not Vardelm of course, but I’d guess he’s referring to the date at which the basic concept of the language ‘comes together’. For instance, with my current language it took quite a while before I figured out how all its features would work together.

EDIT: Oops, didn’t notice Vardelm had replied anyway on the next page!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
NorwayRussianKingdom

Post by NorwayRussianKingdom »

Vardelm wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 am Seems to me that there needs to be a website that allows people to create a profile and then create an entry of one or more conlangs associated with that profile. Give them a series of options they can choose from that generally describe the language (apriori vs posteriori, art vs eng vs aux, alignment, etc.; think like a simplified WALS) and allow links to whatever webpage/doc they want, but it won't be hosted there. It also shouldn't be so much information that it equates to a grammar. This distributes the maintenance & places the onus on the author to update, and if it's never updated and links go defunct, maybe admins can just flag it as a potentially dead conlang, but you still have a record that the conlang was a WIP at one point in time.
The database will be added to behind the scenes by volunteers, and also by anyone accessing the website by entering data via an input form. It will be searchable for purposes of finding conlangs of particular types, and for producing statistics and lists of conlangs in alphabetical order.
NorwayRussianKingdom

Vardelm wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 am
bradrn wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:08 am Like this? https://cals.info/
Actually, yeah, I guess so! :D

The UI needs an intervention, and personally I find the WALS categories a bit wonky. Since this exists, though, I don't see a huge need for another database, unless said database has features that make it more useful and user friendly than CALS. I'd focus on upgrading the CALS sight, if the admin is open to such. Creating another database sight just fragments the community & sort of defeats having a database int the 1st place.

EDIT: Or you work with the CALS people to make something to replace CALS.
Ultimately that sort of thing is the province of CALS, which is actually for documenting linguistic features in as much detail as people care about. The database is not meant to copy or reproduce CALS (no point); instead it's meant to go far beyond in the number of conlangs recorded, while nowhere near as far in terms of the detail recorded.

We are currently looking for suggestions and volunteers.You can join our discord server and discuss about it with other members.
NorwayRussianKingdom

Moose-tache wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:51 pm I'll stick to my current method: mailing a letter to Jeffrey Henning asking him to list all the conlangs he can think of.
It is not possible for someone to make a list of all conlangs, that's why we are looking for volunterrs. This database is for collect as many conlangs as possible.
NorwayRussianKingdom

Hello everyone,
Our member Matthew just updated his document outlining the database project on his website, at http://matthewswiki.pbworks.com/w/page/ ... 20Database It includes several new sections, and he has tried to copy all the suggestions and points made here. However he has also now uploaded it to Google Docs, and made sure it's formatted OK - and he has made that copy open to others with the link to view, comment and download. That's at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y5Q ... sp=sharing So you're welcome to go there, read and add your comments - and pass that link onto others even if they don't come here or to the FB/reddit groups.
Feel free to add any comments there on relevant matters, e.g. what data fields we should/shouldn't have, how running the database should work etc. Suggest new sections to add if you can think of any.