Paleo-European languages

Natural languages and linguistics
Nortaneous

Re: Paleo-European languages

Post by Nortaneous »

Skookum wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:38 pm I'm not very knowledgeable on IE but I found this paper fascinating. I think he overdoes it a little bit at the end comparing Germanic *wisund 'bison' with OPruss. wissambs’, Lith. stumbras, Latv. sumbrs, sūbrs and OCS zǫbrь. The possible link between the pre-Germanic and pre-Greek substrates suggested by the prefix *a- and suffix *-indʰ ~ ind is especially interesting.
that comparison seems much more reasonable than the claim that *h2ster is actually from Semitic, esp. since s-mobile is not particularly "obscure"

(and 'star' is much more basic than most of the other words in that paper, so we shouldn't expect it to be that amenable to borrowing, imo)
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:31 pmAnd BTW: What once was written on FrathWiki is not lost, but kept in the history of the relevant page together with information on who wrote it (even histories of deleted pages are still kept on the server), so it would be recoverable.
Yes, I know, but unfortunately the posts on the old zompist forum are mostly unreconverable. :-(
Richard W wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:49 pmI'm not quite sure what Tavi has in mind when he refers to dorsal affricates.
Actually, I think about pre-dorsal or laminal (which is the usual term in English) affricates such as /ts̻/ and /tʃ̻/. :-)
Znex

Post by Znex »

Skookum wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:38 pm I'm not very knowledgeable on IE but I found this paper fascinating. I think he overdoes it a little bit at the end comparing Germanic *wisund 'bison' with OPruss. wissambs’, Lith. stumbras, Latv. sumbrs, sūbrs and OCS zǫbrь. The possible link between the pre-Germanic and pre-Greek substrates suggested by the prefix *a- and suffix *-indʰ ~ ind is especially interesting.
Aren't some of these words often proposed for the "Temematic" substrate?

I'm still unsure how Temematic's supposed to work, particularly the main sound change posited: that unvoiced and voiced series merge but remain distinct from voiced aspirate series. Is that even attested for any other IE family? The closest I can think of is in Upper German, but that's a much later and limited merger.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Znex wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:30 amI'm still unsure how Temematic's supposed to work, particularly the main sound change posited: that unvoiced and voiced series merge but remain distinct from voiced aspirate series. Is that even attested for any other IE family? The closest I can think of is in Upper German, but that's a much later and limited merger.
The problem with proposed IE substrates such as "Pelasgian" or "Temematic" is that they assume there's a proto-language (PIE) from which every word must derive through regular correspondences.

For example, Holzer considers Slavic *proso- 'millet' < *pr̥s-o- 'ear of corn' to be a "Temematic" loanword from IE *bhar(e)s 'a k. of cereal (millet, barley, spelt). However, the latter turns to be an agricultural loanword from the languages spoken by Neolithic farmers. Interestingly, Etruscan phersu 'masked character' and *phersu-na (> Latin persona 'theatre mask') < *phers 'husk' would be derived from the same etymology.
Last edited by Talskubilos on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:14 am
WeepingElf wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:31 pmAnd BTW: What once was written on FrathWiki is not lost, but kept in the history of the relevant page together with information on who wrote it (even histories of deleted pages are still kept on the server), so it would be recoverable.
Yes, I know, but unfortunately the posts on the old zompist forum are mostly unreconverable. :-(
If you know how to program (or at least are familiar with the command line), I’ve outlined a recovery method here which you could use.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:32 am The problem with proposed IE substrates such as "Pelasgian" or "Temematic" is that they assume there's a proto-language (PIE) from which every word must derive through regular correspondences.
No, the problem with those "lost IE languages" lies somewhere else entirely: you can almost always make up a fictional IE (or, for that matter, Semitic, Vasconic or whatever) language that "just happens" to show the sound changes you need to explain the word(s) you are trying to find an etymology for. That way, nothing can be established; this dragon bites its own tail, so riding it gets you nowhere.

As an example of how this may fail, consider Greek theos, where you could invent a "lost IE language" which has changed *d to th and thereby relate the word to Latin deus. Of course, we know that such an etymology is spurious as there is the PIE word *dhesos, with reflexes in other IE languages.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

From reading this thread, it seems that our friend Octaviano simultaneously rejects established science (language families descending from reconstructed protolanguages established through the comparative method such IE) while simultaneously purporting the most tenuous and questionable hypotheses, such as positing wild shifts in meaning to connect words with little evidence of relation, failing to justify how supposedly related words are related in terms of the comparative method, positing baseless long-range relations between protolanguages (which oftentimes are not even attempted to be reconstructed but rather are assumed on the basis of (much later) attested forms) with little to no evidence of contact, frequent invocation of Wanderwörter to explain away supposed relations, invocation of lost family branches without any attestation, and so on.
Last edited by Travis B. on Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Mods, can we officially reclassify this as an "Eddy thread?"
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:25 pmFrom reading this thread, it seems that our friend Octaviano simultaneously rejects established science (language families descending from reconstructed protolanguages established through the comparative method such IE) while simultaneously purporting the most tenuous and questionable hypotheses, such as positing wild shifts in meaning to connect words with little evidence of relation, failing to justify how supposedly related words are related in terms of the comparative method, positing baseless long-range relations between protolanguages (which oftentimes are not even attempted to be reconstructed but rather are assumed on the basis of (much later) attested forms) with little to no evidence of contact, frequent invocation of Wanderwörter to explain away supposed relations, invocation of lost family branches without any attestation, and so on.
I'm afraid you misrepresented my ideas by large.

1) I reject calling comparative linguistics a "science" in the same league than e.g. physics or mathematics.
2) The classical genealogical tree and proto-languages are an oversimplification (and the case of IE a huge one) for modelling language families, although I retain reconstructed protoforms as useful tools for comparative purposes.
3) Long-range comparisons are more useful to recover lost "family branches" than to posit "baseless relationships between protolanguages" such as "Nostratic", "Sino-Caucasian" and so on.
4) Wanderwörter are very often neglected and confused with inherited lexicon.
5) Most languages ever spoken by mankind became extinct without leaving written texts, but this doesn't mean they didn't exist.
Last edited by Talskubilos on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

WeepingElf wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:31 amNo, the problem with those "lost IE languages" lies somewhere else entirely: you can almost always make up a fictional IE (or, for that matter, Semitic, Vasconic or whatever) language that "just happens" to show the sound changes you need to explain the word(s) you are trying to find an etymology for. That way, nothing can be established; this dragon bites its own tail, so riding it gets you nowhere.
This isn't my way, though. :-)
WeepingElf wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:31 amAs an example of how this may fail, consider Greek theos, where you could invent a "lost IE language" which has changed *d to th and thereby relate the word to Latin deus. Of course, we know that such an etymology is spurious as there is the PIE word *dhesos, with reflexes in other IE languages.
I've just found this example of a fictional lost IE language: A shared substrate between Greek and Italic
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:33 pm
WeepingElf wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:31 amNo, the problem with those "lost IE languages" lies somewhere else entirely: you can almost always make up a fictional IE (or, for that matter, Semitic, Vasconic or whatever) language that "just happens" to show the sound changes you need to explain the word(s) you are trying to find an etymology for. That way, nothing can be established; this dragon bites its own tail, so riding it gets you nowhere.
This isn't my way, though. :-)
It indeed isn't. But I feel that your proposed languages are weaker still. The fictional IE languages I have criticized above at least not only presuppose the conventional model of PIE you reject, but are based on the assumption of regular sound correspondences, which I don't see in anything you have posted here - in fact, you have always been dodging our questions for regular sound correspondences.

That said, I wouldn't claim that there are no lost IE languages; in fact, one of my hypotheses (but one I am not sure of yet, though I use it in my conlangs) is that there was a lost branch of IE I call "Aquan" in western Europe, associated with the Bell Beaker culture and leaving traces in western loanwords and the Old European Hydronymy (you surely remember). But one must always be aware of the danger of circularity with such ideas!

I also wouldn't say that Pelasgian and Temematic are certainly wrong - just that the evidence I have seen has not seen sufficient to convince me. In my personal hypothetical model, there was an IE language related to Anatolian on the Balkan Peninsula once, and that one would have left loanwords in Greek. That one would, however, not be a satem language (nor a centum one, as Anatolian stands outside this division), nor do I see a reason to assume an Armenian-like stop shift (while you have been away, I have abandoned the glottalic theory, after finding that the root syllable constraints can be made sense of by simply assuming that the PIE voiceless stops were aspirated in an early stage of the language).

But it is IMHO unlikely that the Cimmerians spoke Temematic, as Holzer suggested. IE branches with such sweeping consonant shifts are found on the outer edges of the ancient IE dialect continuum (such as Germanic, Armenian or Tocharian), not in its centre. If the Cimmerians didn't speak an outright Iranian language, they probably spoke something intermediate between Iranian and Slavic, such that any innovation of these two branches would also have been found in Cimmerian - i.e., Cimmerian would have been a satem language with the widespread *D-*Dh merger.
Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:33 pm
WeepingElf wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:31 amAs an example of how this may fail, consider Greek theos, where you could invent a "lost IE language" which has changed *d to th and thereby relate the word to Latin deus. Of course, we know that such an etymology is spurious as there is the PIE word *dhesos, with reflexes in other IE languages.
I've just found this example of a fictional lost IE language: A shared substrate between Greek and Italic
I have taken a brief look at that paper; I shall read it again tomorrow. What tells us that these words are not just substratum loanwords within Greek that were later borrowed into Italic? After all, there were many Greeks in ancient Italy, and they had a great cultural influence on the other peoples of that region, so one would expect Italic languages to be full of Greek loanwords - including ones that Greek had borrowed from some other languages, IE or not.
My conlang pages
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

WeepingElf wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:04 pmIt indeed isn't. But I feel that your proposed languages are weaker still. The fictional IE languages I have criticized above at least not only presuppose the conventional model of PIE you reject, but are based on the assumption of regular sound correspondences, which I don't see in anything you have posted here - in fact, you have always been dodging our questions for regular sound correspondences.
Actually, it's rather on the contrary, because sound correspondences are paramount in comparative linguistics.
WeepingElf wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:04 pm
Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:33 pmI've just found this example of a fictional lost IE language: A shared substrate between Greek and Italic
I have taken a brief look at that paper; I shall read it again tomorrow. What tells us that these words are not just substratum loanwords within Greek that were later borrowed into Italic? After all, there were many Greeks in ancient Italy, and they had a great cultural influence on the other peoples of that region, so one would expect Italic languages to be full of Greek loanwords - including ones that Greek had borrowed from some other languages, IE or not.
Basically, the paper proposes convoluted IE etymologies for some Greek and Italic words without inherited etymologies, thus positing a substrate language with specific sound correspondences with PIE.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

As regarding the glottalic theory, I found some interesting correspondences between Starostin's Proto-Caucasian and IE. In addition to *Hnǝ̄-ttsˀwē/*ttsˀwǝ̄-nHē 'reed, cane' ~ IE *nedo- 'reed, rush' and *don- 'reed', there's *tsˀænɁV 'new' ~ IE *ǵenh1- 'to gave birth; to be born'.
Last edited by Talskubilos on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skookum

Post by Skookum »

Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:47 pm As regarding the glottalic theory, I found some interesting correspondences between Starostin's Proto-Caucasian and IE. In addition to *Hnǝ̄-ttsˀwē/*ttsˀwǝ̄-nHē 'reed, cane' ~ IE *nedo- 'reed, rush' and *don- 'reed', there's *ttsˀænɁV 'new' ~ IE *ǵenh1- 'to gave birth; to be born'.
So "Proto-Caucasian" *ttsˀ corresponds to both PIE *d and *ǵ?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Skookum wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:00 pm
Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:47 pm As regarding the glottalic theory, I found some interesting correspondences between Starostin's Proto-Caucasian and IE. In addition to *Hnǝ̄-ttsˀwē/*ttsˀwǝ̄-nHē 'reed, cane' ~ IE *nedo- 'reed, rush' and *don- 'reed', there's *ttsˀænɁV 'new' ~ IE *ǵenh1- 'to gave birth; to be born'.
So "Proto-Caucasian" *ttsˀ corresponds to both PIE *d and *ǵ?
This is exactly the playing fast and loose with long-range relations and not even attempting to follow the comparative method that I was talking about.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 pm When I think of dorsal affricates I think of [kx].
I'd like to hear from Tavi what he means - I suspect it's something weird but possibly real like [cç]. There's probably a whole gamut of realisations of /kj/ even in English.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Skookum wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:00 pmSo "Proto-Caucasian" *ttsˀ corresponds to both PIE *d and *ǵ?
Sorry. The second protoform has *tsˀ corresponding to IE . I've just corrected it above. :oops:

But in other words the correspondence is either *d or *s, thus ponting to different borrowing routes. For example, Caucasian *bħertsˀi(~ -e) 'wolf, jackal' ~ Greek párdos, párdalos 'leopard' but Hittite parš-ana- 'id.' There's also Caucasian *tsæ:nqqˀV 'lynx, panther' ~ IE *sinǵho- 'lion, leopard', a regional word.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:33 pm I've just found this example of a fictional lost IE language: A shared substrate between Greek and Italic
Hmm, maybe. This raises the question where (and when) such a language would have been spoken, if it had contact with Greek, Italic and Slavic (the latter per its identity with Temematic). A possible location would perhaps be Transylvania, if Italic came to Italy through the Pannonian Basin (which I consider likely). Granted, that lies well in the middle of the IE world, but at least, with all those mountains around it, there'd be a better chance of such an idiosyncratic development (first a voicing neutralization *T-D-Dh > *T-T-Th, then a voicing onset shift *T-T-Th > *D-D-T) than for instance with Cimmerian (Holzer's suggestion for Temematic) right in the open steppe. This is IMHO possible, but very uncertain.

I doubt that the Alps are named "the white ones" though. This name is IMHO hard to dissociate from that of a lesser mountain range further north, the Alb, which is not white as these lesser mountains are forested rather than snow-capped.
My conlang pages
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:03 pm
Skookum wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:00 pmSo "Proto-Caucasian" *ttsˀ corresponds to both PIE *d and *ǵ?
Sorry. The second protoform has *tsˀ corresponding to IE . I've just corrected it above. :oops:

But in other words the correspondence is either *d or *s, thus ponting to different borrowing routes. For example, Caucasian *bħertsˀi(~ -e) 'wolf, jackal' ~ Greek párdos, párdalos 'leopard' but Hittite parš-ana- 'id.' There's also Caucasian *tsæ:nqqˀV 'lynx, panther' ~ IE *sinǵho- 'lion, leopard', a regional word.
Ah, different borrowing routes. That way, you can make anything "match" anything!
My conlang pages
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

WeepingElf wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:19 pm
Talskubilos wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:03 pmBut in other words the correspondence is either *d or *s, thus ponting to different borrowing routes. For example, Caucasian *bħertsˀi(~ -e) 'wolf, jackal' ~ Greek párdos, párdalos 'leopard' but Hittite parš-ana- 'id.' There's also Caucasian *tsæ:nqqˀV 'lynx, panther' ~ IE *sinǵho- 'lion, leopard', a regional word.
Ah, different borrowing routes. That way, you can make anything "match" anything!
Gamkrelidze & Ivanov considered *pard-/*pars- to be a substrate loanword from some language of Asia Minor, whose alternation d ~ s would reflect a dental fricative. In fact, this is a Wanderwort who spread to other languages as well. On the one hand, to Indo-Iranian (Sogdian prwδnk, Pashto pr̥āng 'panther', Sanskrit pr̥dāku- 'tiger, panther') and Latin pardus, and on the other, Hattic ha-prašš-un 'of leopard (gen.)' and Persian pārs ~ fārs 'panther', in turn borrowed into Western Mongolian phars, bars 'snow leopard; tiger', Old Turkic bārs 'tiger' (although some Turkic languages preserve the meaning 'panther') and Russian bars 'leopard'.