Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Natural languages and linguistics
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

(French) au, aux: tended to read these as [au] (interference from Spanish, which I had studied before)

Detritus: I still mentally read it as ['dɛtɹɪtʊs] half the time, despite being aware it ought to be something more like [dɪ'tɹaitʊs].

Doubt: While I already knew the word [daut], as a child, orthographic "doubt" was read [duːbt] the first few times I saw it.

Lyra: [lɪɹə] (probably analogical with "lyric, lyrical", to which it is etymologically related, despite "lyre" and "liar" being homophones to me, probably coupled with hyperforeignism) > [laiɹə]

Hermione: [hərmioun] > [hərmaiouni] (What child growing up when I did wouldn't have this one?)

Mallard: ['mæɫɪd] > ['mæɫəɹd] (my paternal grandmother is non-rhotic, and she rhymes this word with "salad"; I also assumed the word was spelled mallid or mallad).

Minerva: [mɪnɛɹvə] > [mɪnɜɹvə] (hyperforeignism)

Rowling: [rauliŋ] > [rouliŋ]
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

thanks, i didnt know detritus either.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

It's so unintuitive, in my mind.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:15 pmHermione: [hərmioun] > [hərmaiouni] (What child growing up when I did wouldn't have this one?)
Me, as it happens, because I watched the first Harry Potter movie before reading the book and seeing how the name was spelt.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

KathTheDragon wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:20 am
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:15 pmHermione: [hərmioun] > [hərmaiouni] (What child growing up when I did wouldn't have this one?)
Me, as it happens, because I watched the first Harry Potter movie before reading the book and seeing how the name was spelt.
I have an idea I may be a bit older than you, then.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Hermione was also the name of Mr. Lodge's wife in Archie comics ... it was one of those names I just sort of blushed over and would have given an indistinct pronunciation if I'd been talking with a fellow fan and needed to say the name out loud. "her-MY-un", perhaps, again not using IPA because it was just an approximation.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I had /hər'mi:ohni:/, part of my general tendency to...underanglicise? pronunciations of Latinate words, particularly when I was younger. (I'm also of the age where I first encountred her in Shakespeare rather than Rowling, though I'm not sure that makes much difference.)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

If I understand right, that isn't that far off how it would be pronounced in modern Greek.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:58 amIf I understand right, that isn't that far off how it would be pronounced in modern Greek.
Yeah, I guess the chief difference would be in the first syllable. Also the /oh/ would tend to centralise if I were using the name frequently.

Looking over the dramatis personae for The Winter's Tale, I see that Hermione is "Queen of Sicily". That definitely would have influenced my pronunciation, prompting me to approximate a modern Italian pronunciation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:39 am I had /hər'mi:ohni:/, part of my general tendency to...underanglicise? pronunciations of Latinate words, particularly when I was younger. (I'm also of the age where I first encountred her in Shakespeare rather than Rowling, though I'm not sure that makes much difference.)
I had the same exact same pronunciation myself.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
jal

Post by jal »

I only knew the name "Hermione" from David Bowie's song "Letter to Hermione", in which he doesn't even one pronounce the name, so I always assumed (and so did my Bowie-fan friends) it was "Her-me-own". Didn't learn the right pronunciation until Harry Potter came along.

JAL
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I also just recently learned that the French name of French Guiana, Guyane, is pronounced [ɡɥijan]. Seems obvious in retrospect but I was so heavily influenced by the <u> being silent in English that it never even occurred to me to sound it in French.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

That is, I think, also an unusual pronunciation in French (the given name Guy is simply /gi/); I also didn't know this pronunciation, either, and would've expected it to be orthographically Guïane or Guÿane.
Last edited by Rounin Ryuuji on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:40 am I also just recently learned that the French name of French Guiana, Guyane, is pronounced [ɡɥijan]. Seems obvious in retrospect but I was so heavily influenced by the <u> being silent in English that it never even occurred to me to sound it in French.
I too assumed a pronunciation of [gijan] myself.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

It just occurred to me that /ˈkadusejəs/ is probably not the correct way to pronounce caduceus in English... Turns out it's /kəˈdjuːʃəs/ or /kəˈdjuːsiəs/. With my British accent, that's [kəˈdʒuːʃəs] which to me feels like a mouthful of potatoes!

(EDIT: correct spelling is caduceus, doh)
Last edited by quinterbeck on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

quinterbeck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:47 am It just occurred to me that /ˈkadusejəs/ is probably not the correct way to pronounce caduseus in English... Turns out it's /kəˈdjuːʃəs/ or /kəˈdjuːsiəs/. With my British accent, that's [kəˈdʒuːʃəs] which to me feels like a mouthful of potatoes!
In the yod-dropping USA, most people would have /kəˈduːsiəs/. (/si/ does commonly coalesce to [ʃ] in this position, but I think in this case the sounds would be kept distinct because it's an unusual term and might not be understood otherwise.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm
quinterbeck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:47 am It just occurred to me that /ˈkadusejəs/ is probably not the correct way to pronounce caduseus in English... Turns out it's /kəˈdjuːʃəs/ or /kəˈdjuːsiəs/. With my British accent, that's [kəˈdʒuːʃəs] which to me feels like a mouthful of potatoes!
In the yod-dropping USA, most people would have /kəˈduːsiəs/. (/si/ does commonly coalesce to [ʃ] in this position, but I think in this case the sounds would be kept distinct because it's an unusual term and might not be understood otherwise.)
I would pronounce it /kəˈdusiəs/ or /kəˈduʃəs/, and I would expect most Americans to do the same.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm
I would pronounce it /kəˈdusiəs/ or /kəˈduʃəs/, and I would expect most Americans to do the same.
I tend to produce hypercorrect /kə'djusiʊs/.

(Edit: I'm also used to seeing it spelled caduceus and hadn't seen the caduseus spelling before.)
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:09 pm (Edit: I'm also used to seeing it spelled caduceus and hadn't seen the caduseus spelling before.)
Oh that's my bad, I misspelled it. I also know it only as caduceus.
axolotl

Post by axolotl »

Here's an interesting one from past me that I suddenly recently remembered. Around age 4-5, I used to think the word "jaguar" was /d͡ʒægwaɪɹ/, and I would misspell it as "jagwire."

Why? Because my mother has /aɪ/-monophthongization and I don't, so when I heard her say the word and heard the /a/-like vowel before the r there, I mapped it onto my /aɪ/. Jagwire, rhymes with fire.
[ð̞͡ˠʟ] best sound