Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Natural languages and linguistics
jal

Re: Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Post by jal »

Ryusenshi wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:08 pm[ʁwɛ] is easy, but that's /rw-/, not /wr-/.
I was under the impression that it's more like [ʁʷ]? Which is close enough to the [ɹʷ] of <wr>. As far as I know, <wr> has never been /wr/.

JAL
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

jal wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:09 am I was under the impression that it's more like [ʁʷ]? Which is close enough to the [ɹʷ] of <wr>. As far as I know, <wr> has never been /wr/.
Well, present-day me knows all of that. You should be saying this to 14-year-old me.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Travis B. wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 pm
Ryusenshi wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:55 am Words beginning with wr- were a puzzle for me. I remember a level in Super Metroid named "Wrecked Ship", that my brothers and I first misread as *"Weckred Ship" (look, our English was fairly basic) and pronounced *[wɛ kʁɛd] accordingly. Then we realized our error... but how the hell do you pronounce a /wr-/ cluster?? Like, it's impossible with a French /r/, so with an English /r/ instead... uh, something like [wuɹɛkt]? or [ɹʷwɛkt]? Of course, in modern English this cluster is impossible and it's just a regular /r-/.

People still struggle with this cluster: nobody knows how to pronounce wrap (a loanword only used for wrap sandwiches). I think most people have settled on [vʁap].
Actually, in English initial /r/ and /wr/ merged, not by loss of the /w/, but by both coming to be realized as [ɹʷ], so in Standard English initial /r/ is by default rounded.
It's pretty amusing really. We're all doing our best to pronounce a cluster that isn't there in the first place.
In fact you can't use the English pronunciation because nobody would understand you.

It's weird because I know how to pronounce, say, 'writer' but 'wr' trips me up every single time. Last week I looked up the pronunciation of 'wren' and felt extremely stupid afterwards.
jal

Post by jal »

Ares Land wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:29 amLast week I looked up the pronunciation of 'wren' and felt extremely stupid afterwards.
You felt stupid looking something up? Why? TBH I probably have a spelling pronunciation there as well...

JAL
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Stupid is perhaps not the right word here. It felt very anticlimatic, maybe? What went through my mind was something like, 'well, duh, that was exceptionally straightforward.'

Off-topic, but still of linguistic interest: the wren has a good old-fashioned, Anglo Saxon name in English, but in French, it's called a Troglodyte mignon, which sounds like a binomial name, but isn't the actual binomial name of the bird. I don't know why: they're very common birds in French as well. (Doubtless the name is different in regional languages.)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ares Land wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:32 amOff-topic, but still of linguistic interest: the wren has a good old-fashioned, Anglo Saxon name in English, but in French, it's called a Troglodyte mignon, which sounds like a binomial name, but isn't the actual binomial name of the bird. I don't know why: they're very common birds in French as well. (Doubtless the name is different in regional languages.)
In Louisiana French, the most common name is “roi Bertaud” or “roitelet”.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:05 am
Ares Land wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:32 amOff-topic, but still of linguistic interest: the wren has a good old-fashioned, Anglo Saxon name in English, but in French, it's called a Troglodyte mignon, which sounds like a binomial name, but isn't the actual binomial name of the bird. I don't know why: they're very common birds in French as well. (Doubtless the name is different in regional languages.)
In Louisiana French, the most common name is “roi Bertaud” or “roitelet”.
Ah, thanks! That clears up things a bit. I don't use 'roi Bertaud', but 'roitelet' is what I call a crest. It seems likely people just used the same name from both birds. (They're easily confused anyway.)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

It took me a while to figure out that "UFO" is pronounced as an acronym, with each letter pronounced individually, in English. In German it's pronounced as if it were an ordinary noun spelled something like "Ufo", and for a while, I thought that was the case in English, too.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

in New York City it's traditionally pronounced /'ju.fo/, ...I only know that because I saw someone say "...whofos?" in a comic book as if that were an ordinary rhyme.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Cetacean. I used to rhyme it with Caribbean rather than Eustachian.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

One time, my family and I took a plane to Norfolk, and when I learned how Norfolk was pronounced, I said, "Are we allowed to say that word on the plane?"
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Vijay wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:42 am One time, my family and I took a plane to Norfolk, and when I learned how Norfolk was pronounced, I said, "Are we allowed to say that word on the plane?"
I take it you mean Norfolk in East Anglia? Because the city in Virginia is pronounced "Norfook".
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 am
Vijay wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:42 am One time, my family and I took a plane to Norfolk, and when I learned how Norfolk was pronounced, I said, "Are we allowed to say that word on the plane?"
I take it you mean Norfolk in East Anglia? Because the city in Virginia is pronounced "Norfook".
That's news to my family and me then because I never heard it pronounced that way.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I've always pronounced both as roughly [nɔɹ.fək], but I guess the [ə] does waffle around with [ʊ] a bit, which feels like the "underlying" vowel rather than [ou] or [ɒ~ɑ].
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 am
In this part of the world that would make the situation worse.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I checked with my friend who's from there. He also doesn't recall that pronunciation being used locally. He did, however, list out five other variants:
  • NORfick "my sister and I"
  • NAWfuck "my mother and grandmother"
  • NOFfuck "my dad"
  • NORfoke "my ex...[who] grew up there same as I did"
  • NAHfuck "even more of a transplant alert than NORfoke"
I assume I got the "NORfook" pronunciation from my dad, who grew up in and near Baltimore. I can't imagine my mother using it or talking about the city much, for that matter.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Isn't there a Norfolk somewhere that's pronounced Norfork?
jal wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:09 am As far as I know, <wr> has never been /wr/.
English <wr> was /wr/ until the /w/ was lost. There are papers arguing that <wr wl> always just represented /rˠ lˠ/ with velarization, but those papers are wrong - some dialects have (had?) wr > /vr/, there's no reason not to reconstruct *wr in PIE (e.g. 'write' < *wrey-), and /wl wr/ are attested in other languages.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:17 pm
jal wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:09 am As far as I know, <wr> has never been /wr/.
English <wr> was /wr/ until the /w/ was lost. There are papers arguing that <wr wl> always just represented /rˠ lˠ/ with velarization, but those papers are wrong - some dialects have (had?) wr > /vr/, there's no reason not to reconstruct *wr in PIE (e.g. 'write' < *wrey-), and /wl wr/ are attested in other languages.
The /w/ was never lost in <wr>. Rather, it turned into a rounded rhotic, and then merged with /r/ when it too became rounded.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:11 pm I checked with my friend who's from there. He also doesn't recall that pronunciation being used locally. He did, however, list out five other variants:
  • NORfick "my sister and I"
  • NAWfuck "my mother and grandmother"
  • NOFfuck "my dad"
  • NORfoke "my ex...[who] grew up there same as I did"
  • NAHfuck "even more of a transplant alert than NORfoke"
I assume I got the "NORfook" pronunciation from my dad, who grew up in and near Baltimore. I can't imagine my mother using it or talking about the city much, for that matter.
My uneducated intuition as someone who has never heard the word said aloud is to pronounce it as "NORfoke".
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:17 pm Isn't there a Norfolk somewhere that's pronounced Norfork?
As one of the dumplings, my natural inclination would be to pronounce the latter as /ˈnɔːfək/ as well. However, I never went so far as to pronounce <Southfork> /ˈsɐfək/. :)