The New ZBB Quote Thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: The New ZBB Quote Thread

Post by Raphael »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:39 am
Ares Land wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:41 amNobody follows the Libertarians because, well, to carry your metaphor further, what they're doing is riding into battle stark naked with a snake in each hand screaming something unintelligible.
Is that even a metaphor? Sounds like a literal description.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

linguistcat wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:41 pmAnd this is where the paradox of tolerance comes in. It's good to be tolerant of others in general, but even the most tolerant of people should be intolerant of baseless intolerance. Otherwise, groups that are baselessly intolerant will eventually replace the ones who are tolerant, often violently.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ryusenshi wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:58 am As usual, the computers I use at work are locked for security reasons, so some operations can only be done by an admin. This means that you need an admin password to update your programs, or to scan the disks with an antivirus. The result is that most programs are out of date, and antivirus scans happen once in a blue moon. For security reasons.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Raphael wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 amCreator of English, do you think it's cute to have "kiss" and "kill" differ only in the coda? Do you think it's clever? It's neither.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ares Land wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:25 amYears are absurdly parochial. We should count in Planck time units. Neuralink will hopefully provide us soon with a neurimplant to handle these, adjusted for relativistic effects.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Ares Land wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:11 amEdouard Philippe can run too, I dig the cool beard.

(For outsiders: Edouard Philippe is our previous prime minister, generally well-liked. It helps that he has an air of gravitas about him, and also a cool beard.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Vijay wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:07 pm EDIT: I used to have a friend who always called Malayalam "Palindrome."
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I'm pretty sure I remember that friend specifically writing (on Skype) at one point: "how do you say that in palindrome? :P " (<- with that little waggy tongue smiley that Skype at least used to have)
Ares Land wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:57 pm I could go on and point out everything that was wrong in that article, but listing what was right'll be quicker: I didn't notice any major spelling errors.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:07 pm
quinterbeck wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:28 pm Hau men weini gen gumen hiraganamu gum moha oryaman
Hau
HORT
men
ACT.2s
weini
explain
gen
Q
gum-en
INST-2s
hiragana-mu
hiragana-MED
gum
INST
mo-ha
way-what
orya-man
ABL-all

Please explain what on earth you are doing with those hiragana
悪しい物をら。「をるしいもどをら。」(wo-ru-si-i mo-do-do-wo)
Worushi modôra.
evil.ADJ thing.ACC.PL.
"Evil things."
EDIT: Also:
Ares Land wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:57 pm I could go on and point out everything that was wrong in that article, but listing what was right'll be quicker: I didn't notice any major spelling errors.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Vijay wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:32 pm
bradrn wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:41 pmEDIT: Also:
Lol
anteallach wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:32 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 am
Vijay wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:42 am One time, my family and I took a plane to Norfolk, and when I learned how Norfolk was pronounced, I said, "Are we allowed to say that word on the plane?"
I take it you mean Norfolk in East Anglia? Because the city in Virginia is pronounced "Norfook".
In this part of the world that would make the situation worse.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn announces having a Big List Of Papers:

bradrn wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:10 am Let me look through my Big List Of Papers… ah, here we go:
alice

Post by alice »

Raphael wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:33 am bradrn announces having a Big List Of Papers:

bradrn wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:10 am Let me look through my Big List Of Papers… ah, here we go:
It's a BLOP!!!
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

…I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before, haven’t I? (I’d be happy to share it if people want, but it has 500 papers on linguistics alone, and is very poorly organised and continuously growing.)

KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:06 pm I have come to the conclusion that some of those were definitely words in English.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

alice wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:48 am
Raphael wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:33 am bradrn announces having a Big List Of Papers:

It's a BLOP!!!
Ares Land wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:27 am
Jonlang wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:30 am I fully intend to neglect my home life and work life for the foreseeable future in order to get some serious work done, so wish me luck.
Oh, now I picture you sitting wild-eyed at a table, with a bottle of absinthe and grammar of Old Irish at hand, harried children running around crying...
EDIT: This isn't the only quote I forgot, I just know it...
zompist wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:37 pmPolls find that over 60% of Republicans swallow Trump's lies about election fraud. [...] On the plus side, they're eager to contract Covid and die or get permanent brain damage.

Or penis damage. I wonder if the death cultists realize that erectile dysfunction is a common side effect in Covid survivors.
EDIT2: Well, I don't think I was thinking of posting this, but why not?
Raholeun wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:01 pmD[utch] aftrekplek (meeting spot for illicit prostitution) and A[frikaans] aftrekplek (parking spot)
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:27 pm My goals include the following:

- Correct the errors and typos—except for the word “changeling” in the changelog, which is really funny to me
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

alice wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:07 am It would be more useful to be able to *predict* a phoneme inventory from its ecology. One can imagine, for example, a language spoken in Antarctica to make much use of the biabial trill.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

alynnidalar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:37 pm In the end, what is more American than driving to another state to circumvent laws limiting what kinds of personal explosives you can set off in your backyard? Or in random parks? Or anywhere else that suits your fancy, thus terrorizing neighborhood pets for days to come?

This message has been brought to you by your local association of “I didn’t even know my cat fit under the couch”.

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:18 pm Is it destroyed enough yet?
Otto Kretschmer wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:22 pm You shall not destroy but transform.
Nortaneous wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:33 pm it could be destroyed further. engage tangut beams

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

fusijui wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:58 am
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:29 am Also consider now archaic uses of English meat.
Which is a contraction of me + eat, of course :|