"somewhere" vs. "someplace"

Natural languages and linguistics
Space60

"somewhere" vs. "someplace"

Post by Space60 »

Do you ever use "someplace"? It is apparently not used outside North American, while in the United States it is used interchangeably with "somewhere". However even in the United States "someplace" is not all that common and "somewhere" is largely preferred.
JT the Ninja

Re: "somewhere" vs. "someplace"

Post by JT the Ninja »

I think I usually only hear "someplace" in the context of "someplace else," but "somewhere" works in all contexts.
Peace,
JT
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

JT the Ninja wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:54 amI think I usually only hear "someplace" in the context of "someplace else," but "somewhere" works in all contexts.
"someplace" is also considered too colloquial for very formal contexts. I can't really say when I'd prefer it to "somewhere" in my speech.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

never heard someplace before, live in NJ
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Space60

Post by Space60 »

While "somewhere" is largely preferred to "someplace", "sometime" is preferred to "somewhen" which is rarely used.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Space60 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:30 pm While "somewhere" is largely preferred to "someplace", "sometime" is preferred to "somewhen" which is rarely used.
"Somewhen" is a word...? :? At any rate, I probably wouldn't find it remarkable if someone used the word "someplace," but I can't say I hear it often. Contrast "someone" vs. "somebody" which seem to be used more freely (though in my observation people tend to favor one or the other; I prefer "someone").
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

This is a case where I wish I could have a log of you guys' speech for a week. I bet most Americans say it plenty without remembering.

These sentences, grabbed from Google, sound fine to me:

Let's go out someplace nice.
Where's my wallet? It has to be here someplace.
A meal at Jerk Shack takes you someplace else.
Friday fun: what is someplace you'd never been?
Phoenecia announces it's closing at year's end and looking for someplace new.

Frank Zappa and Mr. Rogers both have songs about "someplace else"... can't get more authoritative than that.
Kuroda

Post by Kuroda »

I definitely use both. Agree that there's a register issue here: in formal speech or writing I'd only use "somewhere". Casually though, there is a weak functional difference, I think (for myself anyway):

"Somewhere" is likely to be both indefinite and nonspecific, as in neither I or who I'm speaking with knows the location I'm talking about. "This bar is too crowded, let's go somewhere else." It might not even be a different bar; it's just some totally undefined location.

"Someplace" is also indefinite but might be specific: I don't expect anyone listening to know what I'm talking about, but I am referring to a particular, unique entity (or small set of entities). "This bar is too crowded, let's go someplace else." Implied: another place like this place (a bar), or I have a place in mind but we haven't spoken of it yet in this conversation, or there's only three places open in this hick town at this hour to choose from, etc.

If a friend calls up and says, "Hey, let's go someplace this weekend", I'm subliminally thinking she has an actual destination in mind that she just hasn't mentioned to me yet, or that what's to be decided is which of the places we both know about already (from previous visits, say). If she says "Hey, let's go somewhere this weekend", I'm probably going to assume "somewhere" = "anywhere (or close to it)", that the subtext is sorta "let's get out of here, any place but here!".

Also, I have a vague sense of "somewhere" being more broad or large in actual spatial terms if contrasted with "someplace". The difference between Bob moved somewhere -- Canada, vs Bob moved someplace -- in with his ex, to get away from the amateur linguists.

But in formal/written use, nah, I'd always expect to hear "somewhere".

Does that ring any bells with anyone? (Hope I'm using definiteness and specificity correctly here; at best I always struggled to remember which was which.)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I don't think I use "someplace" super-often, but I'm sure I've used it multiple times (and both heard and read it even more times). I have a hard time imagining an Indian (born and raised in India) saying "someplace," although I have heard a nice Indian (middle-class, of course) auntie in a sari and jewelry at an Indian party use "douche" in the figurative sense before, so who knows! :P
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

I've never heard "someplace" anywhere in the UK – just sayin'.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
magb

Post by magb »

Jonlang wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:36 am I've never heard "someplace" anywhere in the UK – just sayin'.
You most likely have. However, you probably don't see it written down much, so it feels unfamiliar.

Zomp mentioned some songs that use the word. Here are some songs by British artists with "someplace" in the lyrics, or even in the title:

https://genius.com/George-harrison-some ... lse-lyrics
https://genius.com/Jake-bugg-someplace-lyrics
https://genius.com/Rita-ora-anywhere-lyrics
https://genius.com/One-direction-summer-love-lyrics (technically spelled "some place" here, but it's hard to tell the difference in a song)

They could all be influenced by or deliberately using American vernacular, but it's still pretty strong evidence that British people use the word sometimes.
alice

Post by alice »

To me it sounds like an Americanism, like "zee" or "food to go".
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
JT the Ninja

Post by JT the Ninja »

Zaarin wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:23 pm
Space60 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:30 pm While "somewhere" is largely preferred to "someplace", "sometime" is preferred to "somewhen" which is rarely used.
"Somewhen" is a word...? :? At any rate, I probably wouldn't find it remarkable if someone used the word "someplace," but I can't say I hear it often. Contrast "someone" vs. "somebody" which seem to be used more freely (though in my observation people tend to favor one or the other; I prefer "someone").
I think I'm going to start using the word "somewhen." And maybe "somewhy."
Peace,
JT
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

This has also got me thinking about the alternation between somehow/anyhow and someway/anyway(s).
alice

Post by alice »

Nobody yet has mentioned "somewhat" as a rather daffy alternative to "something".
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

alice wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:55 pm Nobody yet has mentioned "somewhat" as a rather daffy alternative to "something".
...That's not what "somewhat" means in my dialect. For me, "somewhat" is a synonym to "a little bit, slightly, sort of, etc."
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Yeah, as a non-American, "someplace" just sounds very American to me and I can't be more specific about that. It sounds like "anyways" and "quite a way's away" etc.

I do use "sometime" though ... and I've never heard "somewhen" except maybe as a joke.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

magb wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:29 pm
Jonlang wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:36 am I've never heard "someplace" anywhere in the UK – just sayin'.
You most likely have. However, you probably don't see it written down much, so it feels unfamiliar.

Zomp mentioned some songs that use the word. Here are some songs by British artists with "someplace" in the lyrics, or even in the title:

https://genius.com/George-harrison-some ... lse-lyrics
https://genius.com/Jake-bugg-someplace-lyrics
https://genius.com/Rita-ora-anywhere-lyrics
https://genius.com/One-direction-summer-love-lyrics (technically spelled "some place" here, but it's hard to tell the difference in a song)

They could all be influenced by or deliberately using American vernacular, but it's still pretty strong evidence that British people use the word sometimes.
Songs are contrived and lyrics are often chosen because they fit, not because they're common in speech. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rita Ora's song and One Direction's song were both penned by an American hit-maker to be quite honest. But in the UK you'll be very hard pushed to find someone who natively uses "someplace" instead of "somewhere" in speech.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social