What have you accomplished today?

Conworlds and conlangs
Neonnaut

Re: What have you accomplished today?

Post by Neonnaut »

Hi,
I wrote some code that generates interlinear gloss, I have only wrote it for HTML tables thus far.
I was wondering if I missed some options I should of included. (It's purpose is primarily for my own use!)
https://i.imgur.com/f8cDf2f.png
Conlangs: None presentable yet >.<
Other things: Gloss My Gloss, a tool for setting interlinear gloss.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Neonnaut wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:08 am Hi,
I wrote some code that generates interlinear gloss, I have only wrote it for HTML tables thus far.
I was wondering if I missed some options I should of included. (It's purpose is primarily for my own use!)
https://i.imgur.com/f8cDf2f.png
Ooh, looks useful! Some requests:
  • It would be nice to add ZBB glossing tags ([gloss=][/gloss])
  • You might want to think about adding the Leipzig abbreviations as a default.
  • And, most importantly: can you put this online so we can use it? (I know I would!)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Neonnaut

Post by Neonnaut »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:19 am
  • And, most importantly: can you put this online so we can use it? (I know I would!)
Okay, but that tag only does two lines right?
I had that in mind too, I have made it so that inputted gloss overwrites any Leipzig definitions, or should there be an option to overwrite all definitions?
Code is embarrassing right now.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Neonnaut wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:35 am
bradrn wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:19 am
Okay, but that tag only does two lines right?
That is correct. (Does it matter? Surely it’s easy enough to adapt the code to support two lines.)
I had that in mind too, I have made it so that inputted gloss overwrites any Leipzig definitions, or should there be an option to overwrite all definitions?
I think you should give the user such an option.
Code is embarrassing right now.
We don’t necessarily need to see the code; it would just be nice to be able to use it. (I know, I know, ‘view source’ reveals the code, but as long as it works, who cares about how messy the code is really?)

Neonnaut

Post by Neonnaut »

Got it running.
If you choose the Zbb option, it parses the second and third last lines.
https://neonnaut.github.io/
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

It seems that in order for the romanized text to be spaced-out like the ipa, the first-line has to be filled with any kind of text (see below). Other than that it seems to work fine.

Ḫūdūli ē egrē talti ḫīltun le ḫapsattun bi zagūsuntu.
/xuːˈduː.li
wall-FEM.NOM.PL.DEF
ɛː
and
ˈɛg.rɛː
gate-CNS.PL
ˈtɒl.ti
gate-1p
ˈxiːl.tun
NFUT-strong-3fs
and
xɒpˈsɒt.tun
NFUT-stab-SUBJ-3fs
bi
CMP
zɒ.guːˈsun.tu/
NFUT-can-3fs-NEG

"The walls and gates of our city are strong and impenetrable."
Attachments
gloss.png
gloss.png (15.77 KiB) Viewed 14009 times
Neonnaut

Post by Neonnaut »

Ahzoh wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:41 pm It seems that in order for the romanized text to be spaced-out like the ipa, the first-line has to be filled with any kind of text (see below). Other than that it seems to work fine.
That's because I left 'Single lines (separate by comma, always the last line)' set to 1 as default.

I've made some changes. Next to do is a use me guide. boldlines? and a save/load function.
If anyone is using the table right now, the CSS to display like the output is:

Code: Select all

.abbrv {
   cursor: help;
 }
.sc {
  font-variant: small-caps;
  font-variant-numeric: oldstyle-nums;
  text-transform: lowercase;
}
table tr td {
  padding-right: 3px;
}
table tr {white-space: nowrap;} is probably needed for cross browser support. :? (pain in the ass)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Neonnaut wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:25 pm Got it running.
If you choose the Zbb option, it parses the second and third last lines.
https://neonnaut.github.io/
I just used this for my Conlang Fluency post and it’s really convenient, so thanks for making this!

(One feature request: it would be nice to be able to style the gloss line. But this is very unimportant, and since you’ve put it on GitHub perhaps I’ll just try to implement it myself and submit a PR if I get it working.)

fusijui

Post by fusijui »

I've taken a break from the murk of the Pseudo-Misihase verb and indulged in some lexicon-polishing today. Pulled out the entries for birds and land animals and filled in gaps in the lexicon structure (I use Toolbox), scientific nomenclature, sticking in illustrations from WikiCommons, that sort of thing -- and adding notes about the conworlding side of things, the cultural connotations of the various entries beyond their specific denotations. It's fun. But I find I can only do it for a little while at a time... and I think I'm ready to go back to thinking about how PM mirrors or diverges from Japanese w/r/t auxiliary/periphrastic/whatevs verbiage.

In the meantime, I've established that the Ural owl (Strix uralensis, PM segelin ~ šegelin) is seen as sinister and creepy, but too dangerous to try to scare off, while the collared scops owl and the less-seen Oriental scops owl (Otus semitorques, O. sunia, PM osara) are familiar if shy neighbors of farmers, encouraged to set up residence nearby and cheered on as varmint-reducers. A well-spent day! (?)
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Breached 3,600 conlang vocabulary words of my 6,000 goal this year!
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Neonnaut

Post by Neonnaut »

Didn't want to spam this thread but I've made progress.
Aligned plaintext is up now, as well as Latex and CWS glossing.
Small caps for ZBB work now, though it may not be pretty.
bradrn wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:46 am I just used this for my Conlang Fluency post and it’s really convenient, so thanks for making this!

(One feature request: it would be nice to be able to style the gloss line. But this is very unimportant, and since you’ve put it on GitHub perhaps I’ll just try to implement it myself and submit a PR if I get it working.)
You're welcome, but I'm unsure what you mean, since this board doesn't like any styling inside it's gloss tag. I have some things planned for styling with HTML tables, but this tool was meant to be quick and dirty, for cross conlang communities, and not a library. Unlike this project: https://bdchauvette.net/leipzig.js/ which may be of use to some people. :?
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

1,002 words of Classical Salvian. This year. 4,002 words created in total in 2021, out of the 6,000 goal I set for myself.
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Pedant wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:55 pm 1,002 words of Classical Salvian. This year. 4,002 words created in total in 2021, out of the 6,000 goal I set for myself.
I have no idea how you do this. How do you even decide which words to make? I make words only as needed, which means that even my biggest languages only have about a hundred words. (I suspect having no derivational morphology for any of my languages is a big part of my problem.)

Pedant

Post by Pedant »

bradrn wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:57 pm
Pedant wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:55 pm 1,002 words of Classical Salvian. This year. 4,002 words created in total in 2021, out of the 6,000 goal I set for myself.
I have no idea how you do this. How do you even decide which words to make? I make words only as needed, which means that even my biggest languages only have about a hundred words. (I suspect having no derivational morphology for any of my languages is a big part of my problem.)
Here's one thing I can recommend: listen to music, and do a random search for words in your conlang. If you don't have the words, make them. It also gives you a range of various phonological combinations in close proximity to the word you need.
(But also please do get some sort of derivation. Even if it's just compounds. It's so much easier.)
Spell Merchant | Patreon
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Pedant wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:19 pm
bradrn wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:57 pm
Here's one thing I can recommend: listen to music, and do a random search for words in your conlang. If you don't have the words, make them. It also gives you a range of various phonological combinations in close proximity to the word you need.
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here. What do you mean by ‘random search for words’? Where do the ‘phonological combinations’ come from? And exactly how does listening to music help all this? (I don’t listen to music much, though I do enjoy making it myself.)
(But also please do get some sort of derivation. Even if it's just compounds. It's so much easier.)
True, I hadn’t thought of compounds. But rules for compounding are easier to come up with than derivational affixes are (at least for me).

One thing to think about: not all languages have derivational morphology. (I’ve heard Yoruba cited as one such.) I’d be interested to learn how such languages derive new words, aside from compounding.

Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Oops…okay, rephrase time. Listen to a song with lyrics. If there's a particular word in the song that catches your interest, look it up in your lexicon. If it's there, rejoice and start over again (without pausing the song if you can). If it isn't there, create the word, and start again in the same way. Listen to a song as many times as you want until you've got all the words in it, can think of any concept and search for it and find it. And then move on to the next song.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Gryphonic

Post by Gryphonic »

A search for something unrelated brought me to a relic of childhood: my first attempt at making up non-English vocabulary. It was just a naming language for some story I had in mind back then, a list of words clustered around a few specific topics. By now it's largely free of context, which for me means that I don't have to be inspired to work on any specific narrative setting in order to pick it up when I have time.
In the last forty-eight hours I've gone through the list of old words and reworked them into forms with a more consistent (and limited) phonology. Now I have four double-columned pages of refurbished sample vocabulary, expanded with experiments in reduplication. I've also scrapped what little there was of grammatical features and laid down some broad strokes of directions to explore later this weekend.
I've been reading a little about the Polynesian language family and was considering reducing the available consonants even further, testing for minimal pairs, and I noticed that this conlang 2.0 already consistently avoided using both voiced and unvoiced stops in one root. So far I have only five exceptions, and I am up far past my usual hours wondering whether I should change them now, or work on some rule for when this is allowed.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Gryphonic wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:04 am A search for something unrelated brought me to a relic of childhood: my first attempt at making up non-English vocabulary. It was just a naming language for some story I had in mind back then, a list of words clustered around a few specific topics. By now it's largely free of context, which for me means that I don't have to be inspired to work on any specific narrative setting in order to pick it up when I have time.
In the last forty-eight hours I've gone through the list of old words and reworked them into forms with a more consistent (and limited) phonology. Now I have four double-columned pages of refurbished sample vocabulary, expanded with experiments in reduplication. I've also scrapped what little there was of grammatical features and laid down some broad strokes of directions to explore later this weekend.
I've been reading a little about the Polynesian language family and was considering reducing the available consonants even further, testing for minimal pairs, and I noticed that this conlang 2.0 already consistently avoided using both voiced and unvoiced stops in one root. So far I have only five exceptions, and I am up far past my usual hours wondering whether I should change them now, or work on some rule for when this is allowed.
I like doing this too– a couple weeks ago, I tried working on a conlang I had made on paper a couple of years ago and since then had completely forgotten about. There's something really satisfying about re-working stuff with new knowledge and finding patterns in your old work.
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

Gryphonic wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:04 am I've been reading a little about the Polynesian language family and was considering reducing the available consonants even further, testing for minimal pairs, and I noticed that this conlang 2.0 already consistently avoided using both voiced and unvoiced stops in one root. So far I have only five exceptions, and I am up far past my usual hours wondering whether I should change them now, or work on some rule for when this is allowed.
Austronesian languages, like Muna, do exactly that. Also, some five exceptions are great for naturalism.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Accomplishment of the day for me is finishing up another part of my Telemor franc banknote revitalization project.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.