Weird sound changes

Natural languages and linguistics
Seirios

Re: Weird sound changes

Post by Seirios »

The Ming-deng / Mindong language of Min (Chinese) has synchronic consonantal assimilation /t, tʰ, s/ -> /ɾ/ medially after a vowel or /ʔ/ (along with /p, pʰ/ -> /β/, /k, kʰ, h/ -> zero, /ts, tsʰ/ -> /z̞/). I'm not sure how it developed, but missionary works in the 19th c. didn't note this phenomenon, so some think that it only became established by the early 20th c. or very late 19th c., which would make this pretty close to a single step process.
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

Why is it considered assimilation and not lenition?
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

Seirios wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:35 am The Ming-deng / Mindong language of Min (Chinese) has synchronic consonantal assimilation /t, tʰ, s/ -> /ɾ/ medially after a vowel or /ʔ/ (along with /p, pʰ/ -> /β/, /k, kʰ, h/ -> zero, /ts, tsʰ/ -> /z̞/). I'm not sure how it developed, but missionary works in the 19th c. didn't note this phenomenon, so some think that it only became established by the early 20th c. or very late 19th c., which would make this pretty close to a single step process.
These changes seem quite natural to me, actually. Why are you considering them weird?
Creyeditor wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:59 am Why is it considered assimilation and not lenition?
Well intervocalic lenition is technically a type of assimilation
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)