[PSA] Language Creation Conference 8

Conworlds and conlangs
elemtilas

[PSA] Language Creation Conference 8

Post by elemtilas »

For anyone interested in a proper conlang boink! The Language Creation Society is again hosting its Language Creation Conference. This coming year, 2019, it will be held in the UK in Cambridge.

For more details, see the LCS site.
--insert pithy saying here--
Curlyjimsam

Re: [PSA] Language Creation Conference 8

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Thanks for this; I usually only find out these are happening after the fact. And this one is a couple of miles from my house so I should probably go.
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel.
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Please do try to make it! Seems to be a lot of interest from many glossopoetical communities, so hopefully will be a fun event for all attendees.
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

This would be super-convenient and I would go apart from the fact that I'll have to leave college for the summer that weekend, and asking college to let me stay for a couple more days would not be worth it because it would be too much of a hassle.
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Dare I ask if staying at a hotel for a couple days would be out of the question? Perhaps with a fellow participant? I think some people have done that in the past.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

OK, when you said "boink" I initially thought you must just have typed the wrong word, or not be aware of what that word means. But... now you're trying to set people up in hotel rooms together?

Is this a conlang conference you're advertising, or something less legal!?
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Salmoneus wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:46 pm OK, when you said "boink" I initially thought you must just have typed the wrong word, or not be aware of what that word means. But... now you're trying to set people up in hotel rooms together?

Before spouting nonsense, do please learn what a proper Conlang boink is (and ain't!). Your suggestion is, frankly, repulsive.
masako

Post by masako »

elemtilas wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:52 am
Salmoneus wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:46 pm OK, when you said "boink" I initially thought you must just have typed the wrong word, or not be aware of what that word means. But... now you're trying to set people up in hotel rooms together?

Before spouting nonsense, do please learn what a proper Conlang boink is (and ain't!). Your suggestion is, frankly, repulsive.
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

elemtilas wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:32 pm Dare I ask if staying at a hotel for a couple days would be out of the question? Perhaps with a fellow participant? I think some people have done that in the past.
Probably not: I'd be moving all of my stuff out of my student room on the Saturday, and we're just not insured to have all that left in our car overnight, and I think our college May Ball is actually being held the day before as well, so I'll probably be v. tired and hung over. I suppose I could stay with esoanem, but I have no idea how I'd explain that to my parents: "hey mum and dad, I want to attend this conlanging conference the weekend I leave college, and I'm thinking of staying with this friend I met through Tumblr who's also going".
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

masako wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 am
elemtilas wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:52 am
Salmoneus wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:46 pm But... now you're trying to set people up in hotel rooms together?

https://i.imgur.com/GfReDp1.png
You're similarly disgusting in your insinuation.

Both of you, go do your homework and discover what a "proper conlang boink" is.
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Frislander wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 am
elemtilas wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:32 pm Dare I ask if staying at a hotel for a couple days would be out of the question? Perhaps with a fellow participant? I think some people have done that in the past.
Probably not: I'd be moving all of my stuff out of my student room on the Saturday, and we're just not insured to have all that left in our car overnight, and I think our college May Ball is actually being held the day before as well, so I'll probably be v. tired and hung over. I suppose I could stay with esoanem, but I have no idea how I'd explain that to my parents: "hey mum and dad, I want to attend this conlanging conference the weekend I leave college, and I'm thinking of staying with this friend I met through Tumblr who's also going".
Well, no worries then!
masako

Post by masako »

elemtilas wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:10 am You're similarly disgusting in your insinuation.

Both of you, go do your homework and discover what a "proper conlang boink" is.
You're suggesting that two people, who've basically pointed out that it sounds like you are the one suggesting something uncouth are disgusting...we are insinuating nothing, but we are reading a word with a widely accepted interpretation, while you claim that we should "do our homework" to discover some obscure use, within an obscure subculture, and used primarily among those who are already in on the joke.

Or, or, or, just take minute and consider...you just tell us what you mean and/or, maybe, just maybe, post in terms that don't make you seem either wildly childish or purposely obtuse.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

There are only three different results on google that give the definition. Far from a common usage in the conlanging community. Also this exchange is hilariously awful. No one's seriously accusing you elemtilas, we're just having a laugh at an unfortunate phrasing.

Sadly, I don't see how I can go anywhere outside of the US this country because my parents would have to agree to buy me a ticket. Also I'm afraid my passport will be confiscated because I have a Latino-sounding last name (tradition is that the male line came from Portugal because of the expulsion of the Jews).
Last edited by mèþru on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Curlyjimsam

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Frislander wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 am
Do you have any friends who are graduating this year? Colleges generally let them stay on in their rooms (as the graduations are the week after May Week), so possibly somebody might be willing to let you sleep on their floor for a night or two?
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel.
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

mèþru wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:32 pm There are only three different results on google that give the definition. Far from a common usage in the conlanging community. Also this exchange is hilariously awful. No one's seriously accusing you elemtilas, we're just having a laugh at an unfortunate phrasing.
I could find nearly a hundred, but whatever! Certainly not "far from common", but perhaps antedates many folks in this particular region?

But no worries. Was simply poking back at my dearest little shadow's terminal confusion over these kinds of things!
masako

Post by masako »

elemtilas wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:25 pm but perhaps antedates many folks in this particular region?
Or, is such a niche usage that you (and your group) are the outliers.

In fairness, I was able to find that "boink" was once used by computer programmers to describe meetings, as far back as 1994. But again, that is a subset of a subculture that uses it in very particular contexts.

You exclaim that we are "repulsive" and "disgusting" when we are simply reading the word as the majority of English speakers would read it. Maybe try to dial-back the dramatic palpitations.
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

Instead of talking about niche boinking in abandoned college dorms, should we rather switch back to the topic?

I am considering going, but it seems a hassle for something one might as well follow via Youtube.
JT the Ninja

Post by JT the Ninja »

Bleh...travel to England is a bit out of my budget, alas...would really like to go to a conlang event, though.
Peace,
JT