Venting thread

Topics that can go away
doctor shark

Re: Venting thread

Post by doctor shark »

Minor vents.
More: show
What always frustrates me at the grocery stores here is how few registers they have equipped for cash payments: plenty of self-checkout lines, but all are card-only! And of course the manned lanes are chock-full of people paying with card, which slows down the whole process of me getting out of the store and resuming optimal emotional distancing from people. (I think it frustrates me more because the self-service checkouts in Luxembourg pretty much did all accept cash, so it's not impossible to implement...)

Also, I'm trying to get another publication finished ASAP and submitted to a journal. Of course, the computers at the uni were down today, so I couldn't go to work on the graphics for the paper... again, nothing serious, but more a nuisance since I'll need to get a lot of those finalized tomorrow (and we want to submit Monday).
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Esoteric theory aside, my brother just proclaimed so and so will go to hell for leniency against "sodomites" - as the preacher Mark Driscoll claimed "Hate the sinner and hate the sin"
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

He is a repressed gay - mom threatened to kick him out if he came out, and she has prohibited him from discussing the subject
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

The church wants us not only to get married but also have kids and generally be 'heads of the household' which sucks. And mom only wants me to marry han protestants whose parents have never divorced
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

You seriously need to move out.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

What going on forty years of being a card-carrying sodomite has led me to probably tilts more to the "love the sin, hate the sinner" side of things, I guess.

But yeah, Nachtswalbe, like other people are saying, work on getting out of direct dependence on family. Put your head down and push through, don't let other things distract you. Once you can live like an adult, I think you'll be surprised at how quickly these things can become just history.
MacAnDàil

Re: Venting thread that is tentatively once again all-inclusive

Post by MacAnDàil »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:35 am
alice wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:52 am
I wonder what you would make of Scottish nationalism.
Jan Smuts advocated for “Holism”
nations: "the unification of the four provinces in the Union of South Africa, the idea of the British Commonwealth of Nations, and, finally, the great whole resulting from the combination of the peoples of the earth were just a logical progression consistent with his philosophical tenets.
The combination of the peoples of the Earth under the British Empire perhaps? That was anti-black-vote-in-South-Africa pro-segregation Jan Smuts.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Pastor Gordon terrified my brother when he described how he punished his daughters for not helping his wife when she had a knee injury by making them sleep in the garage (like Amy Chua, Tiger Mom). My brother was afraid dad would kick him out of the house and force him to freeze to death in the streets and started crying when he was about to leave. Dad, always the short tempered person, yelled at mom to make him get on the Only Car (to drive to his univeristy) when Mom called me to explain to my brother what the pastor "meant" : it disciplined his daughters so 10 years later during another accident they all dutifully showed up as young adults to care for their mother.
Both mom and dad believed that they did not discipline my brother harshly enough (e.g spankings) when he was a kid so he fell into self pity.

Mom and Dad are now accusing esch other of misraising my brother using untranslatable insults
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

My brother left driving the car.

Slso mom said she was sorry for upsetting me but I still should attend my church as long as it follows biblical doctrine because you can’t escape encountering fallen people in every church
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:26 pm Pastor Gordon terrified my brother when he described how he punished his daughters for not helping his wife when she had a knee injury by making them sleep in the garage (like Amy Chua, Tiger Mom). My brother was afraid dad would kick him out of the house and force him to freeze to death in the streets and started crying when he was about to leave. Dad, always the short tempered person, yelled at mom to make him get on the Only Car (to drive to his univeristy) when Mom called me to explain to my brother what the pastor "meant" : it disciplined his daughters so 10 years later during another accident they all dutifully showed up as young adults to care for their mother.
Both mom and dad believed that they did not discipline my brother harshly enough (e.g spankings) when he was a kid so he fell into self pity.

Mom and Dad are now accusing esch other of misraising my brother using untranslatable insults
He literally is driven by his stupid id - anger against jews, black people, italians,
fear of being kicked out etc.
and general inability to give a shit about deadlines re. homework
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

mom just came in and scolded me for not signing onto virtual church an hour after it started and said that my lack of communication was why i ended up making an error in my work which resulted in defacto demotion and accused me of being half-hearted in everything
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

You're supposed to leave three seconds of travel time between you and the car in front of you. Nobody does this.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
malloc

Post by malloc »

My bank sent out a new debit card. However I never managed to get my address updated after moving because of some computer glitch so it's getting mailed to the wrong address. It looks like I will have to spend considerable time dealing with one of those automated calling systems, somehow squeezing it into my short break time. And whoever gets my card at my old address will learn far more than I would prefer about my banking situation.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Well, they might be a decent person and just call your bank and tell them they sent it somewhere wrong. I've called the customer service number on the back of random cards I've found twice before, just so they would know the card had been found and destroyed.
malloc

Post by malloc »

I managed to get the replacement card cancelled and my mailing address updated although it took several hours of hassle. However the numbers on each card only differ by seven digits from what I have seen, so they could easily deduce the number for my new card with enough persistence. Whether reasonable or not, I can hardly overstate my anger at the bank for gobbling up my time off from work and leaving me open to identity theft or at least robbery.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

@malloc: Can't you just contact the person living at your old address and ask them to forward the card to you?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

malloc wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:30 pm I managed to get the replacement card cancelled and my mailing address updated although it took several hours of hassle. However the numbers on each card only differ by seven digits from what I have seen, so they could easily deduce the number for my new card with enough persistence. Whether reasonable or not, I can hardly overstate my anger at the bank for gobbling up my time off from work and leaving me open to identity theft or at least robbery.
You do realize that the person receiving your mis-mailed card likely would not be able to activate it, because companies managing credit/debit cards require information to activate cards that is not available from the piece of mail (whether SSN or the phone number the card is activated with) they are sent in, for the very reason that otherwise people would be stealing people's credit/debit cards out of the mail and activating them on their own?
malloc

Post by malloc »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:51 pmYou do realize that the person receiving your mis-mailed card likely would not be able to activate it, because companies managing credit/debit cards require information to activate cards that is not available from the piece of mail (whether SSN or the phone number the card is activated with) they are sent in, for the very reason that otherwise people would be stealing people's credit/debit cards out of the mail and activating them on their own?
Yeah, but they hardly need to activate that specific card. Based on what I have seen, card numbers differ by only seven digits and are assigned sequentially. Thus if one card has the number 1234-5678-5555-5555 then the next card issued will have 1234-5678-5555-5556 and so forth. Since my new replacement card was ordered one day after the other card, it will have a very similar number but incremented by several thousand or so. They would just need to try every number following the number on the card until they find one that works.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

malloc wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:33 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:51 pmYou do realize that the person receiving your mis-mailed card likely would not be able to activate it, because companies managing credit/debit cards require information to activate cards that is not available from the piece of mail (whether SSN or the phone number the card is activated with) they are sent in, for the very reason that otherwise people would be stealing people's credit/debit cards out of the mail and activating them on their own?
Yeah, but they hardly need to activate that specific card. Based on what I have seen, card numbers differ by only seven digits and are assigned sequentially. Thus if one card has the number 1234-5678-5555-5555 then the next card issued will have 1234-5678-5555-5556 and so forth. Since my new replacement card was ordered one day after the other card, it will have a very similar number but incremented by several thousand or so. They would just need to try every number following the number on the card until they find one that works.
You're catastrophizing, you should know. Remember that they'd have to guess the security number and zip code for your new card replacing the mismailed one too.