Development of a post slave society

Conworlds and conlangs
Otto Kretschmer

Development of a post slave society

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

In addition to my Balto Slavic TL and The Lands of Nuts and Deer I am also writing a small fantasy TL about Jamaica being transported back from 1750 AD to 1750 BC with a population of 300, i.e. only people who remain in the island are 300 ex slaves in the Kingston area.

How would such a society develop? Do you think they would go back to slavery or stay as free society? How long until they build ships capable of crosing the ocean? What about writing since slaves were illiterate and generaly forbidden from being taught to read/write?
Neonnaut

Re: Development of a post slave society

Post by Neonnaut »

I would think being sent back in time would be interpreted as an act of God, and that concept would shape the new society.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

With a population of 300 I'd say they'd probably quickly assimilate to whoever was on the island there. (No idea when the Taino arrived.)
Assuming they're alone there... there'd be little point in slavery.

Once you know writing is possible, I'd say reinventing it is certainly possible, even if you can't read yourself. A familiarity with the basic concept would be enough.

Ocean-going ships are a lot harder.
Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

Neonnaut wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:20 am I would think being sent back in time would be interpreted as an act of God, and that concept would shape the new society.
My guess is that after 5-6 generations all that is left will be legends and stories anyway.