Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
MacAnDàil

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by MacAnDàil »

Congrats! I wonder whether you find a link between chemistry and linguistics and/or conlangin/conworlding?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Raphael wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:17 pm So I had planned to do all kinds of things this week, and, except for some initial hiccups with setting up my new cellphone, they basically all worked out exactly as planned. Nothing big or important (unless you count the flu shot), generally just a series of minor errands, but it's still quite nice that everything worked out as planned.
Sequel to this: I'm now at the end of a three week period during which I planned to do all kinds of small things, and aside from some small problems that I generally managed to solve in one way or another, everything worked out as planned. The results include a slightly different and somewhat improved look-and-feel of my bedroom and a slightly different and somewhat improved look-and-feel of the technology I use. All in all pretty great!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:54 am Congrats! I wonder whether you find a link between chemistry and linguistics and/or conlangin/conworlding?
From my own perspective as a chemistry (and physics) major, I’ve found very little similarity between them, aside from the fact that I enjoy both areas. There’s a very very small amount of shared vocabulary, like ‘valence’, and I suppose the linguistics of chemical names is interesting enough, but I wouldn’t call this any sort of ‘link’ between the subjects per se.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:54 am Congrats! I wonder whether you find a link between chemistry and linguistics and/or conlangin/conworlding?
Thanks!

Granted, I don't use my linguistics/conlanging work really in my research, but I do see parallels in some ways: linguistics is a lot of understanding the machinery behind language, much like a lot of chemistry and physics look to understand and decipher the machinery behind life, and conlanging perhaps has the closest parallel to organic/synthetic chemistry of being language design (of making something from many interconnected parts). But a lot of the graphics skills I learned especially while making banknotes has come in handy with the process of preparing articles, posters, and communications, since I've created a lot of graphics for that work (and, except for one, I used the skills to edit and produce all the images in my thesis by myself!).
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I used to take the shuttle home at the same time every day because I loved the driver. He was excellent at his job and great to talk to, when I was in the mood. I hadn't seen him since coming back to campus and assumed that he'd retired (or worse). Then I left an hour early yesterday and when I stepped onto the shuttle I heard, "Well, hello, young man!" Apparently he's been back at work since August but he was given a different schedule and we just haven't intersected before now. I was hella relieved.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Just noticed Haiku OS has a Beta version. Honestly never expected it to leave the Alpha testing phase.

Brief history (IIRC): At one point, Be OS was considered to be the best OS ever. Apple wanted to buy them, and they were like, "We'll never sell!" Like all good things under Capitalism, they eventually went out of business. Haiku is an open source version.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Oh, that's cool! I always was fond of BeOS.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

doctor shark wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:04 pm Took long enough, but this finally went online. This is the article with the cover art, but since the issue hasn't yet been "published", the cover art hasn't yet been made public...
Remember the cover art I'd mentioned? It's now online, with all the identifiers and everything.
More: show
Feels a bit strange, but a good kind of strange.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Congrats!
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

doctor shark wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:24 pm Remember the cover art I'd mentioned? It's now online, with all the identifiers and everything.

Feels a bit strange, but a good kind of strange.
Cool & congrats!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nice!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Congratulations!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Today we're doing our GeoPuzzle Challenge. This is when we set up tables in the main library with geographical puzzles and invite the students to complete them. We time them and rank the times on a big leader board. There is a prize for the best times, but mostly the students just care about bragging rights. Helping to proctor it is easily one of the most fun things I ever get to do at work. In particular, I just witnessed two group efforts which were an absolute delight.
kodé

Post by kodé »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:32 pm Today we're doing our GeoPuzzle Challenge. This is when we set up tables in the main library with geographical puzzles and invite the students to complete them. We time them and rank the times on a big leader board. There is a prize for the best times, but mostly the students just care about bragging rights. Helping to proctor it is easily one of the most fun things I ever get to do at work. In particular, I just witnessed two group efforts which were an absolute delight.
This warms my heart. :D

My architecture-obsessed 6-year-old finally got to see his favorite building, the Empire State Building, in the flesh this evening. He was ECSTATIC.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

kodé wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:30 pm My architecture-obsessed 6-year-old finally got to see his favorite building, the Empire State Building, in the flesh this evening. He was ECSTATIC.
Cute!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

kodé wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:30 pmMy architecture-obsessed 6-year-old finally got to see his favorite building, the Empire State Building, in the flesh this evening. He was ECSTATIC.
That's truly heart-warming.

My earliest memory of Chicago is a photograph of Marina City in the children's encyclopedia we had growing up. I lived in Chicago for over 30 years before I finally got to see the interior, thanks to a couple from Baltimore I know who have a condominium on one of the upper floors. It was a tremendous thrill.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

As we're talking about architectural childhood dreams, the three I always wanted to visit since seeing pictures of them in books were the Alhambra, the Old City of Sana'a with its traditional high-rise buildings, and the Potala palace. I managed to visit the first two of them.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I got a blinky working on the second core of my Raspberry Pi Pico. Sure, the main task locks up on the first core when I boot the second core for some reason, but notably enough the first core itself does not lock up, because I have another task running on it which continually outputs asterisks which keeps on running.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I just got tickets to see King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard in May!