Mis-hearings

Natural languages and linguistics
WarpedWartWars

Mis-hearings

Post by WarpedWartWars »

What mis-hearings have happened to you?

I mis-heard my mom say "put it on my feet" as "poem feet".

please tell me if there's already a topic for this
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Talskubilos

Re: Mis-hearings

Post by Talskubilos »

The Arabic greeting (As-)Salam Alaikum can be misheard in Spanish as ¡Será maricón! 'Should (he) be a faggot?'. :lol:
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

I just mis-heard my mom say there was a "mini cheeseburger" or something like that. She then said what I mis-heard as that it's "just a jalapeño".

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
cold magic of apples
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I misheard the stammering when Cinderella's stepmother was introduced at the ball (in the Disney version) as "Lady Tremaine" (the announcer stutters a bit on the word "Lady"), and thought for the longest time that her name was "Leigh Tremaine", which I thought sounded rather anachronistic.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I've noticed that I readily mishear both initial and final [p t tʃ k] as spoken by non-native English speakers as /b d dʒ ɡ/, initially because initial /p t tʃ k/ is normally aspirated in English and finally because final /p t tʃ k/ is normally preceded by a shortened vowel and, if not preceded by a sibilant, is preglottalized or, in the case of final /t/, often glottalized completely.
Last edited by Travis B. on Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Talskubilos wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:41 am The Arabic greeting (As-)Salam Alaikum can be misheard in Spanish as ¡Será maricón! 'Should (he) be a faggot?'. :lol:
By whom? Not this Spanish-speaking faggot.

As a child, I had "ball-bearing [roller] skates". I'd never heard of ball bearings so I heard this as "barbarian skates" and even made up an explanation for why they were called that.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

My favourite mis-hearing is German Wankenzähler, a contraption of which nobody knows what it counts ;) It happened soon after a Christmas some 40 years ago when my brother and I were given bicycle speedometers. My brother sang 'What shall we do with the drunken sailor?', and I misheard drunken sailor as Wankenzähler, thinking of the new speedometers.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:12 pm My favourite mis-hearing is German Wankenzähler, a contraption of which nobody knows what it counts ;) It happened soon after a Christmas some 40 years ago when my brother and I were given bicycle speedometers. My brother sang 'What shall we do with the drunken sailor?', and I misheard drunken sailor as Wankenzähler, thinking of the new speedometers.
When I saw that word, even before I read your whole post, I read it as a certain part-English, part-German compound... :D
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:12 pm My favourite mis-hearing is German Wankenzähler, a contraption of which nobody knows what it counts ;) It happened soon after a Christmas some 40 years ago when my brother and I were given bicycle speedometers. My brother sang 'What shall we do with the drunken sailor?', and I misheard drunken sailor as Wankenzähler, thinking of the new speedometers.
I put that into Bing Translate and I got "Wanken counter". The first thing I thought of was a counter (the kind sinks are put in) named after someone named Wanken.

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
cold magic of apples
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

WarpedWartWars wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:55 pm
I put that into Bing Translate and I got "Wanken counter". The first thing I thought of was a counter (the kind sinks are put in) named after someone named Wanken.
That kind of counter is not called Zähler in German. Zähler refers to a machine or person that counts something.
My conlang pages
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

WeepingElf wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:05 am That kind of counter is not called Zähler in German. Zähler refers to a machine or person that counts something.
So, say, something with a button that increases a number each time the button is pressed would be called a Zähler?

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
cold magic of apples
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:20 am
Talskubilos wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:41 am The Arabic greeting (As-)Salam Alaikum can be misheard in Spanish as ¡Será maricón! 'Should (he) be a faggot?'. :lol:
Really? Are you gay? :)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

WarpedWartWars wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:48 am
WeepingElf wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:05 am That kind of counter is not called Zähler in German. Zähler refers to a machine or person that counts something.
So, say, something with a button that increases a number each time the button is pressed would be called a Zähler?
Yep.
My conlang pages
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

WeepingElf wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:43 am Yep.
You learn something new every day.

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
cold magic of apples
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Talskubilos wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:14 am
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:20 am
Always have been.

And no matter how hard I try, I can't get from /sa.ˈlaː.mʕa.ˈlaj.kum/ to /seˈɾamaɾiˈkon/. These phrases simply sound nothing at all like each other to me.
mocha

Post by mocha »

A few years ago I was having lunch with my mother, discussing a female exchange student in a course I was taking. I forgot what exactly I was characterizing, but I said something was "some sort of abroad thing". She took this as "some sort of a broad thing".

As for eggcorns, my boyfriend uses "woof down" for "wolf down".

Speaking of which, there was some anime he tried getting me into with a character called "Shiggy". However, one of the VAs in the dub we were watching, I swear, sounded to me like they were saying "Shitty" and I just accepted that his name was unironically "Shitty" and didn't question it at all.

When he introduced me to LotR, I was also confused why Tolkien named a male character "Mary"... it seems so silly in retrospect I would mishear it that way...
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pmAnd no matter how hard I try, I can't get from /sa.ˈlaː.mʕa.ˈlaj.kum/ to /seˈɾamaɾiˈkon/. These phrases simply sound nothing at all like each other to me.
Think of an uneducated Spanish speaker, possibly from Southern Spain, and the fact Spanish has no final /-m/ -nor any other labial-, so it's pronounced as [n].
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Talskubilos wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:54 am
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pmAnd no matter how hard I try, I can't get from /sa.ˈlaː.mʕa.ˈlaj.kum/ to /seˈɾamaɾiˈkon/. These phrases simply sound nothing at all like each other to me.
Think of an uneducated Spanish speaker, possibly from Southern Spain, and the fact Spanish has no final /-m/ -nor any other labial-, so it's pronounced as [n].
Wait, so now we're talking about /sa.ˈlaː.mʕa.ˈlaj.kum/ as it would be pronounced by an Andalucian and not just heard by them?

IME, Spanish-speakers are perfectly capable of hearing final /m/ as [m] even if they can't consistently produce one themselves. I'm also familiar with Spanish-speakers merging coda /ɾ/ with /l/ (happens all the time in Caribbean Spanish) but the reverse seems far less common. So this still feels like a complete stretch to me in service of a very juvenile pun.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pm
Talskubilos wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:14 am
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:20 am By whom? Not this Spanish-speaking faggot.
Always have been.
He doesn't know how many of us gays there are on this site, because he has half of us on mute.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:47 am
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pm
Talskubilos wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:14 am Really? Are you gay? :)
Always have been.
He doesn't know how many of us gays there are on this site, because he has half of us on mute.
This is probably the most gay place on the Interwebs which is not dedicated to things gay in and of itself I've been at, something our friend here has managed to completely miss.