If natlangs were conlangs

Natural languages and linguistics
Vijay

Re: If natlangs were conlangs

Post by Vijay »

Even then I don't think it's that bad.

But then arguably, I don't think any natlang is that bad. *shrug* :)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

All right, creator of Yidiny, a constraint requiring an even number of syllables in a surface word is creative, I’ll give you that, and actually pretty cool. But it’s totally unnaturalistic.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:15 pm All right, creator of Yidiny, a constraint requiring an even number of syllables in a surface word is creative, I’ll give you that, and actually pretty cool. But it’s totally unnaturalistic.
It doesn’t seem too unreasonable, actually. It’s basically a requirement that all feet have two syllables.

Unrelatedly, I see Jaques’s Japhug grammar is finally out, and once again I find myself impressed at the sheer strangeness of rGyalrongic languages. (It’s not often you see a >1000-page grammar with a whole section on ‘Remarkable features’.) As usual though, the most unusual bit is the phonology: for one thing, it’s slightly odd to allow syllables like /jla/ but not /lja/. (And how, exactly, does /jla/ differ from /ila/ phonetically?)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Is it me, or isn't that sort of thing kind of common in Australian languages? Rules that operate only when the surface word has a certain number of syllables
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

bradrn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:32 pm As usual though, the most unusual bit is the phonology: for one thing, it’s slightly odd to allow syllables like /jla/ but not /lja/. (And how, exactly, does /jla/ differ from /ila/ phonetically?)
I think the distinction between voiced fricatives and approximants is just not robust in the area. /ʝla/ or /ʒla/ wouldn't be odd. (cf. Hiw, which allows many syllables like /wla/ but doesn't contrast /w ɣʷ/)
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

This reminds me, just yesterday I learned the Georgian so-called "/v/" is indeed sometimes [v] but otherwise often just labialization on the previous consonant, [Cʷ]... See (and listen to) the examples linked to from here. :) Particularly mc̣ḳrivi 'row, screeve' vs. tkven 'you guys', gvrc̣vrtni 'you (sg.) train us'. This makes the last example a lot less impressive.
Zju

Post by Zju »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:52 pm This reminds me, just yesterday I learned the Georgian so-called "/v/" is indeed sometimes [v] but otherwise often just labialization on the previous consonant, [Cʷ]... See (and listen to) the examples linked to from here. :) Particularly mc̣ḳrivi 'row, screeve' vs. tkven 'you guys', gvrc̣vrtni 'you (sg.) train us'. This makes the last example a lot less impressive.
I can't help but hear [gut͡sʼɾ̥tʰunɪ] instead of [gʷt͡sʼʷɾ̥tʰnɪ] for /ɡvrt͡sʼvrtʰni/ when it's pronounced by the first speaker.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Zju wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:20 pm
Kuchigakatai wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:52 pm This reminds me, just yesterday I learned the Georgian so-called "/v/" is indeed sometimes [v] but otherwise often just labialization on the previous consonant, [Cʷ]... See (and listen to) the examples linked to from here. :) Particularly mc̣ḳrivi 'row, screeve' vs. tkven 'you guys', gvrc̣vrtni 'you (sg.) train us'. This makes the last example a lot less impressive.
I can't help but hear [gut͡sʼɾ̥tʰunɪ] instead of [gʷt͡sʼʷɾ̥tʰnɪ] for /ɡvrt͡sʼvrtʰni/ when it's pronounced by the first speaker.
Maybe because she's pronouncing it very carefully. To me, it sounds like the [w] is separate from the [g] rather than secondary articulation.
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:05 pm That said, Saxon dialect is unequivocally the worst-sounding form of human vocalisation ever produced.
I consider it Trainspotting-German, since it reminds me of the film.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Poor little Saxon! :cry:
Zju

Post by Zju »

Vijay wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 pm Poor little Saxon! :cry:
Indeed, it's all stereotypes. Beauty is in the ears of beholder.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Creator of English, do you think it's cute to have "kiss" and "kill" differ only in the coda? Do you think it's clever? It's neither.
Emily

Post by Emily »

if natlangs were conlangs then tolkien would ride
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Raphael wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 am Creator of English, do you think it's cute to have "kiss" and "kill" differ only in the coda? Do you think it's clever? It's neither.
You deaded it!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Did the creator or creators of the major European languages have to come up with a word in English meaning "precious metals used as a financial investment" that, at least in its written form, looks a lot like a French word, also adopted as a loanword in German, meaning "broth"? It has the weird effect that I can't read English texts about certain aspects of financial history or current financial shenanigans without getting hungry.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

There's some chance the two words are related, if I'm remembering right.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Yeah, I think they're both related to "to boil" and derived from a Latin word with roughly that meaning.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Some fascinating sentences from an obviously ridiculous conlang French:

/ɛ a œ̃ a | œ̃ i e œ̃ ə e o a œ̃ ə œ̃ a œ̃ y ki sə sɥiv/
/ty a ɑ̃ o œ̃ u aerjɛ̃/
/ɔ̃n‿ɑ̃n‿a œ̃ ɑ̃ o ‖ ɛ̃/

(Sources: https://french.stackexchange.com/questi ... wel-sounds, https://french.stackexchange.com/questi ... by-natives)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
FlamyobatRudki

Post by FlamyobatRudki »

english… has this bizzare undocumented phenomenon where one uses we when one means I but it's not royal we, but rather regular we but one feels need to use group as a means of defending oneself from criticism.
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

FlamyobatRudki wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:50 pm english… has this bizzare undocumented phenomenon where one uses we when one means I but it's not royal we, but rather regular we but one feels need to use group as a means of defending oneself from criticism.
Without an example I can't say I've ever experienced this. However, it's fairly common the UK for people to use "us" instead of "me"; "give it us" is a very colloquial version of "give it to me".
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social