Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Travis B. »

I got zeptoforth 0.43.0 out yesterday, which now includes SPI support for all supported platforms.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Over the course of the past few days I have developed something called zeptocom.js, which is a web serial terminal designed specifically for Forth, particularly for zeptoforth and Mecrisp, and it has been coming along very well already. I have it up here on github.io so you can use it without having to git clone it and start a local web server. One note - it currently only functions on Chrome, later versions of Chromium (i.e. not the one distributed as part of Debian), Edge, and Opera, and not on any mobile browsers, due to its use of the Web Serial API and File System Access API which are not supported by Firefox (in Mozilla's infinite wisdom), Safari, or mobile browsers.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptocom.js is very complete now, and I have also written a pretty functional object system for zeptoforth in the course of just two days.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I’ve said this before, but seeing Travis B's enthusiasm for zeptoforth makes me happy.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Likewise. I can't possibly common on zeptoforth itself (it's far, far away from my area of expertise) but it's real nice to watch an open source project grow.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoforth is very niche, to say the very least - it's really of interest if one wants to do Forth programming on Cortex-M embedded systems. I do find it very exciting to work on - I personally really enjoy building systems myself.

On a related note I did hear of an opportunity to potentially commercially license zeptoforth yesterday from the developer of Mecrisp-Stellaris, who was asked about the potential to commercially license Mecrisp-Stellaris for the RP2040 but who had turned that down because the RP2040 port was officially a contributed port and thus not up for commercial licensing. When I contacted the person who had been in touch with the developer of Mecrisp-Stellaris, they turned down my offer for the time being, stating that at this point they were just putting out feelers for a new product of theirs, but seemed to leave it open in the long term, stating it was good to know the option existed.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Took long enough, but this article just went live today.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

doctor shark wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 pm Took long enough, but this article just went live today.
Congrats!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I finally got reading an SDHC card to work in zeptoforth! Turned out the problem that'd stymied me for over a week was really stupid - I had tied 3.3v out on the Pico to Vcc on the SD card reader I am using instead of 5v out, and even though SDHC cards are not 5v in any means, the SD card reader expected 4.5v-5.5v Vcc and accepted logic levels of both 3.3v and 5v, probably to cater to the Arduino crowd. After tying 5v out on the Pico to Vcc out on the SD card reader and fixing a few other minor bugs, reading the SDHC card worked just fine.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Now I have a fully functional SDHC/SDXC card interface for zeptoforth, including both reading and writing blocks, along with checking the SDHC/SDXC card size for the purpose of validating block indices provided to the interface.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Had a great long weekend trip back to Luxembourg: saw so many friends, played lots of MTG, went to the annual fair (Schueberfouer), and got reminded of a lot of what I missed from living there. And the train trip wasn't so bad (6 hours, but only €55 r/t), so I think more frequent visits will be a Thing.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I can now successfully read files and directories in FAT32 filesystems on SD cards with zeptoforth!
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My cousin is now married!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!

(Frankly, my mental reaction to the very idea that there's actually something good happening in the life of someone right now at this time kind of reminds me of this old John Scalzi blog post: https://whatever.scalzi.com/2009/03/06/ ... e-to-this/ )
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I'm loving the new song HYËNA by KMFDM...
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I did not have you pegged as a KMFDM fan.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:00 am I did not have you pegged as a KMFDM fan.
Oh, I've been a KMFDM fan since high school.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

It bothers me that the German expansion of their name on their Wikipedia page is grammatically wrong. (I'd correct it, but it's taken directly from the band's own history page.)

Oh wait, that's not a happy thing. I'm happy I had biscotti this morning thanks to a long-delayed shopping trip last night. Not only that, I have plenty of ready-to-eat edibles now which is great since I haven't felt like cooking for a while now.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 am It bothers me that the German expansion of their name on their Wikipedia page is grammatically wrong. (I'd correct it, but it's taken directly from the band's own history page.)
I've long gotten over the fact that Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid is both grammatically incorrect German and does not translate to the band's own translation of the name, i.e. as "no pity for the majority". Of course, KMFDM has acquired other expansions, such as the infamous Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode. In general I don't think KMFDM takes these kinds of things all too seriously.