Of persons

Natural languages and linguistics
alice

Of persons

Post by alice »

What would be the correct linguistic name for a system of reference which refers to participants in a discourse not by the first/second/third/others system we're all used to, but by appearance in the discourse, so that if Alice speaks to Bob and Bob replies, Bob refers to himself not as "I" but as "second to speak", so to speak? Is this actually attested anywhere? Are there any other systems which order by, for example, status?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
mèþru

Re: Of persons

Post by mèþru »

I don't think that the first system exists, but I think that plenty of languages have speech styles in which people refer to themselves and the person they address by their status instead of names or pronouns, including English ("The Speaker recognizes the Representative from Illinois")
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I don't know what the name is, but ASL is very close to this. You do have 'I' and 'you', but you can have as many third person pronouns as you like, by pointing to a position in the conceptual space in front of you. It's not numerical, but presumably people referred to early in the conversation get the 'easiest pointers'.
xxx

Post by xxx »

alice wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:51 am What would be the correct linguistic name for a system of reference which refers to participants in a discourse not by the first/second/third/others system we're all used to, but by appearance in the discourse, so that if Alice speaks to Bob and Bob replies, Bob refers to himself not as "I" but as "second to speak", so to speak? Is this actually attested anywhere? Are there any other systems which order by, for example, status?
Interesting, that was my way in conlanguistics until shortly (and I can always use it in absence of pronouns...)
miekko

Post by miekko »

zompist wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:10 pm I don't know what the name is, but ASL is very close to this. You do have 'I' and 'you', but you can have as many third person pronouns as you like, by pointing to a position in the conceptual space in front of you. It's not numerical, but presumably people referred to early in the conversation get the 'easiest pointers'.
Has any experiments been carried out to figure out how many such pronouns ASL speakers manage to keep track of reliably in a conversation? I would guess a native speaker's memory for such "pointers" is more well-trained than that of an average human being for comparable 'tasks', but there must be some cut-off somewhere, and also situations in which the reliability weakens (say, low blood glucose might weaken the reliability?)