The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:26 pm The dialect here has what would superficially seem to be non-yod-dropping combined with yod-coalescence if it weren't for that it occurs where yods were never present in the first place. Specifically, there is general palatalization of alveolar and postalveolar consonants before /u/, and /t/ in this environment has a tendency to be (generally lightly, but I've heard extreme examples at times) affricated as a result. For instance, I have [ˈtsʲʰy(ː)] for two with light but non-zero affrication and I have heard people who have [ˈtɕʰy(ː)].

Note that this also affects /ʊ w ɜr/; I still remember a local lawyer commercial from about 17 or so years back where the person in the commercial kept on repeating [ˈtɕʰwʌ̃ɾ̃i(ː)] with really conspicuous affrication over and over.
Does the presence of a high front vowel also shift [tʃʰ] > [tɕʰ]? Before /eɪ ɪ iː/ is where I most expect palatalisation, though I suppose Japanese does have /t d/ > [ts z] before /u/, so /u/-palatalisation isn't exactly unheard-of.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:56 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:26 pm The dialect here has what would superficially seem to be non-yod-dropping combined with yod-coalescence if it weren't for that it occurs where yods were never present in the first place. Specifically, there is general palatalization of alveolar and postalveolar consonants before /u/, and /t/ in this environment has a tendency to be (generally lightly, but I've heard extreme examples at times) affricated as a result. For instance, I have [ˈtsʲʰy(ː)] for two with light but non-zero affrication and I have heard people who have [ˈtɕʰy(ː)].

Note that this also affects /ʊ w ɜr/; I still remember a local lawyer commercial from about 17 or so years back where the person in the commercial kept on repeating [ˈtɕʰwʌ̃ɾ̃i(ː)] with really conspicuous affrication over and over.
Does the presence of a high front vowel also shift [tʃʰ] > [tɕʰ]? Before /eɪ ɪ iː/ is where I most expect palatalisation, though I suppose Japanese does have /t d/ > [ts z] before /u/, so /u/-palatalisation isn't exactly unheard-of.
No, unrounded high front vowels do not trigger palatalization of coronals (but they do of dorsal consonants), interestingly enough. (Conversely, /u ʊ/ are commonly realized as rounded high front vowels after and particularly between coronals and do trigger it.)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:10 am
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:05 am
Travis B. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:51 am You don't have yod-dropping after coronals in stressed syllables?
At some point or other, I acquired the habit of inserting (or reinserting) it after /t j n/, but not /s z/, such that "tuna" (the fish) is [tʰjuʊ.nə~tʃʰuʊ.nə], "dew" is [djuʊ~dʒuʊ] (often without yod-coalescence, also true of duel, probably as an attempt at not merging them with Jew, jewel), and "new" is [njuʊ] (all not regionally normative). I don't think I always had this yod in most of these places. While I don't remember being corrected about it, I think I simply at some point started thinking it was "correct" (probably from hearing it in older speakers, or in some broadcast speech or somesuch), and having the idea that I was supposed to speak "correctly", began inserting it (probably also influenced by the retention of the yod after /k g/ in words with written long u, eu, ew, making it likely partially a reading pronunciation).
It is interesting that non-yod-dropping survived where you are in e.g. the speech of older people; here yod-dropping after coronals in stressed syllables is complete, with no memory of not having it in the first place.
My grandmother who was from the Southeastern United States lacked yod-dropping after /n/, /t/, and /d/. She also distinguished "horse" and "hoarse", and had /hw/ in "wh" words.
jal

Post by jal »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:58 pmThis one might be an actual archaism rather than just sounding like one.
Or, one checks an etymological dictionary before conjecturing ;).

JAL
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Is yod- coalescence in words like "tuba", "tube", and "due" the most common pronunciation in Britain these days? Cambridge online dictionary lists this for their British pronunciations of these words.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Space60 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:11 pm Is yod- coalescence in words like "tuba", "tube", and "due" the most common pronunciation in Britain these days? Cambridge online dictionary lists this for their British pronunciations of these words.
I do remember noticing a few decades ago that it was commoner with the voiced consonant. And I can remember an advert where a child used /tj/ as the start of chocolate.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Space60 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:11 pm Is yod- coalescence in words like "tuba", "tube", and "due" the most common pronunciation in Britain these days? Cambridge online dictionary lists this for their British pronunciations of these words.
In England, a clear [tj] or [dj] usually sounds old fashioned to me. There does, though, seem to be an intermediate stage, which is what I have, with a tendency to use apical postalveolar affricates in the words with original /tj/ amd /dj/ and laminal ones in the words with original affricates, so e.g. due and Jew have not quite merged for me. I suspect this is just, as I say, an intermediate stage in the merger rather than a way the distinction is going to be maintained long term.

Some people, e.g. my mother, will usually produce affricates but will sometimes produce [tj] and [dj] in careful speech.

If you want a variety which avoids as much yod coalescence and yod dropping as possible, then try Welsh English.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

anteallach wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:29 am
In England, a clear [tj] or [dj] usually sounds old fashioned to me. There does, though, seem to be an intermediate stage, which is what I have, with a tendency to use apical postalveolar affricates in the words with original /tj/ amd /dj/ and laminal ones in the words with original affricates, so e.g. due and Jew have not quite merged for me. I suspect this is just, as I say, an intermediate stage in the merger rather than a way the distinction is going to be maintained long term.

Some people, e.g. my mother, will usually produce affricates but will sometimes produce [tj] and [dj] in careful speech.

If you want a variety which avoids as much yod coalescence and yod dropping as possible, then try Welsh English.
Well, yes. Welsh English lacks yod-dropping even in words like "rude", "flute", "Jew", and "chew".
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Space60 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:31 amWell, yes. Welsh English lacks yod-dropping even in words like "rude", "flute", "Jew", and "chew".
Doesn't it also have a feature by which /ju/ becomes a falling diphthong equivalent to Welsh iw?
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Picture, capture.

[kʃ pʃ] or [ktʃ ptʃ]?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:57 am Picture, capture.

[kʃ pʃ] or [ktʃ ptʃ]?
The latter, though I have a suspicion that I also use the former on occasion. (Or at least, it doesn’t feel particularly unnatural to me when I try to say it.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

[kʃ pʃ] or [ktʃ ptʃ]?
[kɕ ptɕ]
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

[kʃ pʃ] or [ktʃ ptʃ]?
Both, in somewhat free variation. The former can show up in rapid speech, though the latter would be more usual of a careful pronunciation.

Edit: As with Travis, disaffrication more readily occurs after /k/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:20 am

[kʃ pʃ] or [ktʃ ptʃ]?
Both, in somewhat free variation. The former can show up in rapid speech, though the latter would be more usual of a careful pronunciation.
I can really go either way too, aside from having alveolopalatal sibilants rather than palatoalveolars; I just tend to deaffricate more frequently in picture.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

"picture" and "capture" have /tS/ for me.

I commonly hear "picture" said like "pitcher". I never do this.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

[kʃ pʃ] or [ktʃ ptʃ]?
Affricates in both.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:54 am
Space60 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:31 amWell, yes. Welsh English lacks yod-dropping even in words like "rude", "flute", "Jew", and "chew".
Doesn't it also have a feature by which /ju/ becomes a falling diphthong equivalent to Welsh iw?
Isn't that actually conservative, in that it was a falling diphthong (or rather two distinct falling diphthongs which later merged) in Middle English?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

anteallach wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:12 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:54 am
Isn't that actually conservative, in that it was a falling diphthong (or rather two distinct falling diphthongs which later merged) in Middle English?
Yes, that is a conservative feature. Apparently this feature ended up in some NAE varieties as well, even though I don't know how many people have it anymore here.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:19 pm Yes, that is a conservative feature. Apparently this feature ended up in some NAE varieties as well, even though I don't know how many people have it anymore here.
I sometimes pronounce ewe and ewer specifically as something like [iɪw] and ['iɪ.wəɹ], but this is a spelling pronunciation (I almost never use either word, and so the reading is mostly mental rather than aloud), not a survival of a historic diphthong.
LingEarth

Post by LingEarth »

[kʃ pʃ] or [ktʃ ptʃ]?
[tʃ] in picture (it's a homophone with pitcher for me), [pʃ] or maybe sometimes [ptʃ] in capture.
I remember deliberately pronouncing [kʃ] in "picture" as a child after I learned how it was spelled, but [tʃ] feels easier/more natural.
LingEarth the Earthling

she/her