A use for that AI text-generating thing

Conworlds and conlangs
alice

A use for that AI text-generating thing

Post by alice »

Has anyone tried something like "Write a full description of a conlang based on Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, and Basque, complete with syntax trees and sample texts"?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Kuchigakatai

Re: A use for that AI text-generating thing

Post by Kuchigakatai »

I saw someone ask ChatGPT to make an IAL, and it simply started describing Esperanto in Esperanto...
masako

Post by masako »

alice wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:40 am Has anyone tried something like "Write a full description of a conlang based on Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, and Basque, complete with syntax trees and sample texts"?
Yes. I asked it to make one based on Nahuatl with a base vocabulary of 2K words. After about 40 unique words it just kept repeating "tlacuahlli"...and the complexity of the grammar was something that anyone on this board could do in a speed-lang challenge.
alice

Post by alice »

Hm! I suppose that there aren't enough conlang descriptions for it to train itself usefully on, and it ends up recycling its own output.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

masako wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:31 pm...and the complexity of the grammar was something that anyone on this board could do in a speed-lang challenge.
Still amazing that it could create a grammar at all.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Be warned that it is slightly worse than the average Arts student at Astrophysics - it's been assessed for a Cool Worlds video on Youtube!